Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Absolutely YES! It has been the best decision I have ever made!! It took me 30 years to put this weight on. After many diets and brief successes that turned to failures I now have the proper "tool" to help me and I am very grateful. It is helping me to become the healthy person I want to be!

Yes. This has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel good again and I haven't in a very long time. Very thankful for this wonderful tool.

Definitely yes. Best decision I have ever made. Always heavy and now have hope to be back to normal range. 13 weeks out and have lost total of 65 lbs from heaviest and feel great. No problems with surgery or issues afterwards. Go for it.

Butterfly Gal - My answer is...as sad & as pathetic as it sounds - food was a huge part of my life. I miss my life with food. I miss going out to eat. I miss lots of things like movies, family, friends, shopping, drinks, trips, dates - my life can no longer revolve around food with these outings just the outings which I guess is good, but it doesn't mean my family & friends are going to change on these outings - so I live alone & now spend even more time alone & it makes me sad. . . I didn't anticipate feeling this way, but I do. So, I do regret it & feel it is the worst mistake of my life. I will keep saying it on this site, too. I usually get lots of mean & ugly responses when I do, but if my truth can help one person not to make the same mistake as me, then, I've done a good deed for the day!

I did the surgery because I fear for my mobility since an injury a few years ago plus I am not dead yet, I wanted to look good again once more & feel good about myself. I thought 100% it was what I wanted...it isn't!

I didn't anticipated the shame & embarassment I feel as well. I have not told a living soul about this surgery, and I never will. I had told everyone I was preparing for it for over a year, and I told everyone I backed out of it. I am continuing Weight Watchers and trying to do what I can exercise wise - as far as the world will never know...I've lost it again using Weight Watchers not surgery. I lost 100 lbs three different times in my life prior to my injury..

Even though I have had no complications, even lucky - I've lost weight, I have no hunger & no thirst & no cravings for anything...I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't for me, but now I have to live with that...it is starting to get a little better each day. I can eat a few bites now; I am feeling a little more normal, but I fear I will never feel like the real me again...sad!

I hate the shakes (if I could have done shakes I wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place), so I know hair loss is going to be terrible. I knew about Hair loss prior to surgery, but now the reality is setting in...I have hair to my waist. It is about all I got with my looks...so I am so sad about that. What is the use in being skinny again, if I have horrible hair?

Sorry to vent! I hope I answered your question. I hope someone reads my post & re-thinks their decision. I worked from May 2012 to March 2013 to have this surgery - and I was dead wrong, period.

Butterfly Gal - My answer is...as sad & as pathetic as it sounds - food was a huge part of my life. I miss my life with food. I miss going out to eat. I miss lots of things like movies, family, friends, shopping, drinks, trips, dates - my life can no longer revolve around food with these outings just the outings which I guess is good, but it doesn't mean my family & friends are going to change on these outings - so I live alone & now spend even more time alone & it makes me sad. . . I didn't anticipate feeling this way, but I do. So, I do regret it & feel it is the worst mistake of my life. I will keep saying it on this site, too. I usually get lots of mean & ugly responses when I do, but if my truth can help one person not to make the same mistake as me, then, I've done a good deed for the day!

I did the surgery because I fear for my mobility since an injury a few years ago plus I am not dead yet, I wanted to look good again once more & feel good about myself. I thought 100% it was what I wanted...it isn't!

I didn't anticipated the shame & embarassment I feel as well. I have not told a living soul about this surgery, and I never will. I had told everyone I was preparing for it for over a year, and I told everyone I backed out of it. I am continuing Weight Watchers and trying to do what I can exercise wise - as far as the world will never know...I've lost it again using Weight Watchers not surgery. I lost 100 lbs three different times in my life prior to my injury..

Even though I have had no complications, even lucky - I've lost weight, I have no hunger & no thirst & no cravings for anything...I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't for me, but now I have to live with that...it is starting to get a little better each day. I can eat a few bites now; I am feeling a little more normal, but I fear I will never feel like the real me again...sad!

I hate the shakes (if I could have done shakes I wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place), so I know hair loss is going to be terrible. I knew about Hair loss prior to surgery, but now the reality is setting in...I have hair to my waist. It is about all I got with my looks...so I am so sad about that. What is the use in being skinny again, if I have horrible hair?

Sorry to vent! I hope I answered your question. I hope someone reads my post & re-thinks their decision. I worked from May 2012 to March 2013 to have this surgery - and I was dead wrong, period.

I understand where you're coming from. I honestly do. I too, am single, 35 and live alone. My life revolves around my friends. One of the things that came to the surface for me and literally made me cry when I had my pre-surgery psych evaluation was that my life revolved around food. I associated food with fun, sadness, anger, lonliness and so on. I am no longer a prisioner to food like I was. There is still tons you can do including going out for meals with your friends. You will still eat food, just smaller amounts. I was a serverly depressed woman, to the point where I would lie in bed at night trying to sleep and cry. Cry because I wanted to have a family and no guy would ever look at me, cry because I hated my body and everything I tried never worked. I had no boyfriend for way too many years to count. I got winded walking up the stairs to my apartment. I never bought new clothes because I was a size 30 and would be embarrased at the checkout line. I honestly feel your pain, and respect your feelings, I really do. I wish you the best, and I honestly hope that once things get better for you, you will start moving forward with this great tool that you now have. I don't know you as a person, and I am sure you're lovely. I am just sharing my experiences as someone who seems to have the same social life as you.

Lucky, I don't think you sound sad or pathetic. It's a huge lifestyle change, and no matter how much you prepare, you don't know really how it will be until you walk the path. I didn't really know what to expect, and at first, I was worried that I made a mistake. I was surprised that I didn't care about the food, and that I never missed it.....but I was surprised that I still didn't think it was such a great thing i did, either. Now that things have settled down, and I can expand my diet, I am becoming happier with my decision. I enjoy going out to eat and entertaining, and I love that I can eat so little and be satisfied. I can honestly say I don't miss anything or event because of it. I hope that time is a healer for you, and that you will get to the point that you are comfortable with your decision.

I have never looked back since I had my new "birthday" on Dec 21, 2011!!! As others have said, I only wish i had done it sooner. I have been at a stall for the last 3 months or so, but I know what I've been doing wrong...carbs, carbs, carbs. I am vowing to get back on track starting right now. No more sugar or wasteful carbs.

Excuse my language' date=' but Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

How come?

Sorry, I didn't read far enough before posting.

At only 5 weeks out I have to admit I've had my doubts about my decision. However, as everyone says, it gets better everyday so I have hope I will be just in love with my sleeve as most. Being in a current stall doesn't help but I'm not letting it depress me. I'm staying on track and believe the people who say it WILL break :)

No doubt in my mind... YES! So happy. I am healthier and my life doesn't revolve around food. I eat like all my family and friends.. Just less. I party with everyone, I travel, skiing again, and I move like I was to live life for a good long time. My weight and food is no longer controlling me. I am in control

I would choose this again in a heart beat! I've had no complications and have my diabetes in remission. I have lost 95% of my excess weight and I eat so much healthier. How great is that? I love my sleeve and my body size :)

11 days post op so I may not be the best one to go by but I feel great...I just started exercising and for once I feel hopeful and confident that I really will suceed this time ...so YES