Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 weeks post op. I haven't asked my surgeon about smoking an occasional cigar. What has been everybody else's experience? Anybody know the risks? If any to the stomach.

I believe smoking hinders healing and your stomach is still healing I say lay off the cigars for 6 months or forever :D

not worth the risks IMO. This is from livestrong.com, but there's info all over the net.

Wound Healing

In a 1992 article published in the American Journal of Medicine, the relationship between smoking and wound healing was analyzed and documented. Author P. Silverstein described the alteration of wound healing secondary to diminished blood supply to the wound caused by constriction of blood vessels by the nicotine in tobacco. He went on to say that nicotine also contributes to increased platelet adhesiveness which, because of the increased tendency to stick together, increases the risk of thrombotic occlusion, or the development of blood clots

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/234656-the-effects-of-smoking-surgery/#ixzz2Ox2oxnkH

If I have to wait, SO DO YOU!!! I'm planning on waiting until I'm at least 6 months out before a cigar or pipe. I only smoke about once a month anyway, but don't want to chance it hindering my healing. I pass by my pipe stand every day, I miss em.

I am one of the asshats that didn't quit smoking for surgery.. I know the lectures so you can save your fingertips. My doc knew that I was a smoker, and I told him I wasn't ready to quit. One day I will hopefully. It's something I don't care to do right now.

I will tell you that I have am just shy of 2 weeks out, and my incisions are healed on the outside. I am having no problems with pain at all, and other then feeling tired and not being able to stuff my fat face (oh yea and the 30 missing pounds) I wouldn't even know I had been under the knife just 12 days ago.

I also smoke cigars from time to time.. I'm sure you are better off waiting, but it's your choice. I'm not encouraging anyone to smoke, or egging people on to their former bad habits, I just wanted to share my experience so far. I do realize smoking in any form is bad for you. I haven't had a cigar for a while now.. I forgot to charge my humidor and they all dried out and I'm a bit bummed that I lost a lot of good cigars. Mainly I enjoy having one when I am out riding the motorcycle with my boys, and sometimes relaxing at home watching the fights with my wife.(she's one of the few women who enjoy the smell of a good cigar)

What is your favorite cigars? I get a store blend from a local shop that is so much like the Romeo y julietta con. wraps. Last new years I have a Gherka assassin that I was surprised by. I usually don't go for full bodied cigars, but that one was actually really good. I may pick some of those up over the summer.

I don't smoke many cigars, I've smoked Romeo y Julietta and loved them, the shop I get my pipe tobacco from has house blends and sample unmarked packs, anything medium bodied I'm usually good with, and they always set me up with some good flavored cigars. My favorite, though is probably a Gran Habano Corojo #5.

Everything in moderation. I enjoy an occasional cigar too. Unless you're at Mark Twain levels of cigar consumption, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I am one of the asshats that didn't quit smoking for surgery.. I know the lectures so you can save your fingertips. My doc knew that I was a smoker' date=' and I told him I wasn't ready to quit. One day I will hopefully. It's something I don't care to do right now.

I will tell you that I have am just shy of 2 weeks out, and my incisions are healed on the outside. I am having no problems with pain at all, and other then feeling tired and not being able to stuff my fat face (oh yea and the 30 missing pounds) I wouldn't even know I had been under the knife just 12 days ago.

I also smoke cigars from time to time.. I'm sure you are better off waiting, but it's your choice. I'm not encouraging anyone to smoke, or egging people on to their former bad habits, I just wanted to share my experience so far. I do realize smoking in any form is bad for you. I haven't had a cigar for a while now.. I forgot to charge my humidor and they all dried out and I'm a bit bummed that I lost a lot of good cigars. Mainly I enjoy having one when I am out riding the motorcycle with my boys, and sometimes relaxing at home watching the fights with my wife.(she's one of the few women who enjoy the smell of a good cigar)

What is your favorite cigars? I get a store blend from a local shop that is so much like the Romeo y julietta con. wraps. Last new years I have a Gherka assassin that I was surprised by. I usually don't go for full bodied cigars, but that one was actually really good. I may pick some of those up over the summer.[/quote']

Let me ask you something... Why do they ask u to not smoke 2 weeks prior to surgery? I haven't smoked in a week and am dying. Can't I just stop a week before ?? I'd love to hear from someone.

I cracked. I smoked about 1/4 of a bowl last week. Nice slow draws, was nice. But, like usual, I probably won't smoke again for another month at least, just because that's the way I roll.

My surgery date is June 3rd and the next time I smoke one of my pipes will probably be around my birthday in late November. I will miss it, but I only smoke once or twice a month so it's not that difficult to put away.

I was sleeved on June 19th. I started smoking my cigars about 3 weeks after my surgery. I know , too soon. I have cut down alot though. I used to smoke two cigars a day , now more like 5 or 6 a week. I also use one of those electronic cigars . It helps somewhat.

Got sleeved 7 days ago, down 26lb. Missing my RP Vintage1990's like you would not believe and trust me the humidor is stocked. My MD said none 2 weeks before or 2 months after. I think I'm going to wait 3 months. On another note. I brew my own beer so I'm going to have to find a way to squeeze in the occasional homebrewed vanilla Porter after a couple months too. Any home brewers on here?

I'm good for two or three a month and other than typical cigar issues (breath etc) I've had ZERO issues. I was sleeved last November and waited about 4 months.