Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No More Advil.....EVER!

Had my 4 week follow up today and asked when I could start taking Advil again. I wasn't a chronic user, more like once or twice a month and I was told never again. I had no idea. Guess Tylenol will have to do it from now on.

Yeah I am worried about that. I take ibuprofen almost every day for back pain / headaches. I keep saying every day that I need to cut it out now so that I don't have rebound pain when I have to stop. I should start trying tylenol and seeing if it helps. I hope though that the weight loss will help my back and the tension in my shoulders/neck which also causes the headaches. Ugggggh.

I had alot of back pain and knee pain. Now that ive lost 41 lbs-- no more pain!!

I was on Celebrex and coq10 due to inflammation in my knee and feet with arthritis. Not even taking Tylenol now!!

Omggg thats so me i literally live off motrin what am i gonna do tylenol does NOT work for me.... Eeeek

Wow, really? Dang, I hadn't heard that I'd never be able to take Motrin again. That was my drug of choice for all pain relief (headaches, cramps, knee pain, etc).

I don't have as much pain because of the weight loss so far. Still working on it!!!

I still have knee pain, but it's from an old injury. Tylenol #3( with Codeine ) works best for me on my bad knee days! Extra strength liquid Tylenol works better than the pills.< /p>

A lot of people on this forum actually still take nsaids. there's some debate whether its ok after surgery. The reason is that dr's are worried about ulcers because of the way those drugs effect the stomach lining. My nurse did say that after a year occasional use is fine. There are a few people who take them on a daily basis w/o issues.

I did not know that Advil cannot be taken after surgery. That is the only thing that works for me, yikes!! Does anyone know the reasoning for not being able to take it after?

That's what I'm worried about too. I take 200 to 400 mgs of Ibuprofen every day for my bone on bone arthritis on my knee, & for the arthritis in my hands & back. I need a knee replacement but want to wait till I lose some weight so I won't be such a burden on my husband if he needs to help me get around the first couple weeks.

I had tried Tylenol 3 a while back (that's the tylenol with codeine, right?) If that's the same as I'm thinking of, it keeps me awake. I had asked my family physician about ibuprofen after I have my surgery & he said once my tummy has healed, I can take 1 or 2 of the 200 mg pills with some pill to coat my tummy first but he said it's best not to take any anti-inflammatory after the sleeve.

I tried to stop taking them & lasted 2 days. I was walking all crippled over & needed my cane & was in sheer pain for 48 hours until I saw my doc & he asked me why I was torturing myself before I had a surgery date? I have to stop 10 days prior to surgery. I really don't know how I'm going to get thru the pain. Tylenol has never been of any help to me. I have to say, I'm surprised to hear of all the people that take ibuprofen on a daily basis! Thought it was just me!

My surgeon said it was ok to take nsaids occasionally....as long as it's not on a regular basis since it can irritate the stomach

Wow, I guess there are different opinions about this. My doc gave me an rx yesterday for ibuprofen. She believes I have inflammation and that the ibuprofen will help with it. I had to take it to the pharmacy to have it compounded into a liquid that I can take so i won't get it back until tomorrow. She asked me to take it every 6 hours for a 24 hour period and then let her know how I am.

I'm 16 days post surgery btw.

my doc said no NSAID for the first 6 months, but then it was fine to take them as needed