Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How well did you follow your pre-op diet??  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How well did you follow your pre-op diet??

• I did not have a pre-op diet.
    • I followed it strictly, never cheated once.
    • I cheated less than 5 times.
    • I cheated more than 5 times.
    • I could not follow the diet and cheated constantly.

I would like to know the following about the pre-op diet. I am currently doing this diet, and I think it is a horrible. It is not heathy and teaches you the opposite of what you should be eating post op. Mine consist of a Protein Shake and Protein Bar three times daily. I am curious what everyones pre-op was and how compliant they were. IE Did you cheat?? Alot?? I am interested in this from a medical stand point as the hospital I work at is working on becoming a "Center for Excellence for Baratric patients" and I want to find out how to develop the best program that pt's and Dr's can live with so both have a high success rate. Thanks for all input and opinions, but PLEASE keep it friendly!! :kiss2: :)

I don't have a pre-op diet so to speak but a rule that I am expected to lose 10 pounds and exercise 30 minutes a day for 30 days prior to surgery. I am currently exercising 50 minutes 5 days and have lost 11 pounds. I have considered going to no breads no sugar in the next week or so to better prepare for surgery but that is my own thinking, not a recommendation from the surgeonn.

Hi

The pre-op diet is different for each person and each doctor. It depends on your weight, pre conditions, BMI, and the doctor's preference.

Dr. Ortiz's clinic gave me 3 options for a pre-op diet...all of which were designed to help patients lose 5 % of their weight before surgery. This is the one I chose:

Protein shake (for Breakfast and lunch) no more than 240 cals each

lean cuisine for dinner - no more than 350 cals

up to 4 lbs of greens (salad, yellow/red/orange peppers, cuke, mushrooms) per day and ultra low cal dressing.

I found the first 3 days hard as my stomach adjusted to the lower cals but after that it went well and I lost my 5% and lots of inches. I only had to follow it for 2 weeks but I did an extra 3 days (dieter's mentality...had to start on a Monday)

The pre op diets suggested/enforced by some surgeons are done to "shrink" your liver, in order to lessen the chance of nicking it during surgery.

Whilst its not the healthiest thing in the world, nutritionally speaking, it serves a purpose and short term, it won't hurt you.

I am on the same as Sunsreturn - Protein Shake (for Breakfast and lunch) no more than 240 cals each

lean cuisine for dinner - no more than 350 cals

with out the greens. I'll be honest and tell you that today is day 4 and its been HARD!!! I haven't cheated in the calorie area but I have added a ricecake in the evening for a snack. I don't want to do this but I do want the surgery so I'll do whatever it takes. And I know its for my best interest. I think everyone cheats to some degree - and I dont' think its a huge deal as long as we get right on track again. I have made my head ok with this by telling my self, promising myself that this will be the LAST diet of my life. Post band I plan on eating healthy first and letting the band help me get past the bad choices I've made in the past.

just another note about the diet - I don't do it breakfast and lunch like they suggest because I'm not ready to eat until noonish - so I have my shake then, by 5 I'm starved and ready for my dinner which is never enough - I could eat 3 of them before I feel full. Then I drink my second shake in the evening when I get the snack fever - it helps me get past the attack. I make mine with frozen slimfast - half a can frozen, 1/4 cup skim milk and a handful of berries or half a banana and I feel like I've got a treat. I don't feel too guilty about the rice cake - its not many calories, and I like the crunch - and the other thing thats helped me in the snack department in sf Jello - the homemade kind - its like 10 cal. and I like it. Like I said the diet stinks but its my last diet and I know theres an end in sight where as all my previous diets I never could see an end.

Protein Shakes (as many as i want) sf Jello, sf pudding, broth here. Have not been perfect but the results are amazing, not as far as weight (13# is pretty great though) but the change in my head! When u are deprived from something you are addicted/crave (whatever u want to call it) u are forced to face the demons (in my case anyway) that I didnt even know I had. I know this will be successful now because I am beginning to understand why and how I got this way which never happined with any other diet/plan. I know now I have an emotional connection with food and a tenacy to binge eat therefor the band will be crucial for me while I face my demons. The bottom line is without the deprivation of food I would have never even realized any of this in fact I would have told anyone I didnt have any "emotional" isuues with food (duh) I was just fat because I really liked to eat and I probably would have started to process trying to eat around the band. Hopes this helps its just my persective.

I was lucky as I didn't have a pre op diet. I guess my doctor believes that you are this way and you failed so many times. I heard that the benefit is to shrink the liver? but I'm not sure. Good luck with your diet.

I start mine tuesday and it is basically

Bkfst - 1 oz. Protein and 1 slice bread

snack - powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shake

lunch - Protein and veggie

Snack - Unjury

dinner - protein and veggie

Snack - Unjury

between 600-800 calories a day. I'm kinda worried about it but at least some real food is involved and not all shakes which i was afraid of...

My doc did not put me on a pre-op diet. I only had to do Clear liquids the day before surgery. But, I wonder if some docs vary the pre-op requirements depending on the patient, because I ran into another of his patients who did have a pre-op diet. We were close to the same BMI, but she is apple-shaped, and I am pear-shaped. I figured that people who carry their weight through the middle might be more prone to having a fatty liver.

Tami

My surgeon required me to do 7 days of Clear Liquids only. Yes, I was freakin' starving before I even had surgery. So for me it has been 2 1/2 weeks of only liquids. It's no wonder I sucked all the flavor off a dorito today. They said it was to shrink the liver to "avoid any injury" during surgery. Since I have heard so many other bandsters say they had no pre-op diet I think it is strictly a cya move on the surgeons part.

My surgeon said that it all depends on your body type. If you have the "diabetic" build, which is most weight in the middle area, your liver is more likely to be fatty. I have met many women in the waiting room in my doc's office, and about half had to do the pre-op and half didn't. I, personally, didn't have to. Believe me, if my liver was in my butt area, I would've had to do a year of pre-op dieting!

I think I might've had an easier time adjusting to the diet post-op if I had been required to do the pre-op diet!