Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Satiety foods for post goal hunger?

I have constantly been getting little hunger attacks to eat over the last couple months in between planned meals (6x a day to total 1200 calories), when I am not supposed to be eating. Gets worse every day. So today I thought perhaps cottage cheese would make a good satiety food for these moments when I am being pulled *hard* by hunger. It worked!!

The reason why I wanted to try is because I was remembering about a cottage cheese test to determine size of stomach from a VST book I read pre op (yes, I read a lot of books about post op but nothing trumps post op experience). I thought if cottage cheese is being used to determine size, it cannot slide through. This is great! I just hope a random couple spoonfuls are not going to blow maintenance. High in Protein, low in fat and low in carbs. I never did eat cottage cheese more then once post op, so it is good to be eating again.

What are some *other satiety foods* you use to bury that nagging goal weight hunger?

Two rules:

1. It must be smaller serving size then a normal full meal of 1 cup of protein / veggies. In other words, eating a meal does noes not count as a solution to my question.

2. It must not be a slider food. I am looking to satisfy the hunger, not delay it for more battles in 20 minutes. Besides, I do not want to eat sliders during maintenance of weight. I want to eat as healthy as possible to support physical activity.

Thin sliced deli meat

But I was thinking that 1200 cals is pretty low for a guy!

Thin sliced deli meat

But I was thinking that 1200 cals is pretty low for a guy!

That is a good suggestion! Would a low fat cream cheese be OK for it?

If I'm hungry, it pretty much has to be Protein to fix things up. I am for 2 ounces and nothing else. I wrap a slice of low fat deli meat around a low fat string cheese for a snack.The string cheese and lunch meat clocks in at under 100 calories so it's perfect. I often buy the costco roast chickens. A couple ounces of chicken (no skin) is another fav for me. Also under 100.

Lynda

I am finding one spoonful of low fat cottage cheese does a good job at holding over to 3 hour mark if at 90 min mark since last meal. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Since I have cottage cheese for lunch on work days, I pack sliced cheese for my afternoon snack. I usually have two slices. It's more than 100 calories. But I need about 2100 - 2200 to maintain, believe it or else.

I also eat unsalted roasted nuts, both peanuts and almonds. I eat whatever the serving suggestion is, in the case of my brands, 28 grams of almonds and 30 grams of peanuts. Yummy, and they have some Fiber.

Greek yogurt is my go to food. I buy it plain and sweeten it with flavored stevia. I also will add some almonds and a few chocolate chips. Nuts are a great source of Protein and healthy fats and are very filling. You could try roasted chickpeas...satisfies that crunch, high in Fiber and protein and very filling. I find fruit very filling. I do not watch carbs in the sense of cutting out healthy carbs. For me, a banana or an apple really fill me up and keep me full for a long time. You could also use chia seeds or hemp hearts. Both are very high in protein and filling. I will add them to my yogurt or I have also made chia seed pudding. If all else fails, a Protein Shake is very filling and lasts me a long time!

Greek yogurt is my go to food. I buy it plain and sweeten it with flavored stevia. I also will add some almonds and a few chocolate chips. Nuts are a great source of Protein and healthy fats and are very filling. You could try roasted chickpeas...satisfies that crunch' date=' high in fiber and Protein and very filling. I find fruit very filling. I do not watch carbs in the sense of cutting out healthy carbs. For me, a banana or an apple really fill me up and keep me full for a long time. You could also use chia seeds or hemp hearts. Both are very high in protein and filling. I will add them to my yogurt or I have also made chia seed pudding. If all else fails, a protein shake is very filling and lasts me a long time![/quote']

Thanks - all good suggestions. However, I do need to disagree with you on the Protein Shake being filling. Every time I drink one now, after it is mixed with gelled chia seeds, only satisfies satiety for about an hour. I do not feel that bad to go back and eat a spoonful of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt if that is going to hold me until 3 hours. It is strange because I swear these shakes were doing a better job at keeping me full up until about month 5 or 6. Chickpeas sounds interesting as I like the crunch from corn nuts. I have yet to break from my no fruit regime following post op. I find that energy squares are good too and are mostly nut. However, they pack 60 calories for a small square so need to be careful around these because 1) I do not need so many calories in between meals and 2) the cacao chips sometimes raise a little carb response in me, wanting more. However, not so strong. I just say no to the carb beast and it goes back into hibernation in deep dark cave.

Since I have cottage cheese for lunch on work days' date=' I pack sliced cheese for my afternoon snack. I usually have two slices. It's more than 100 calories. But I need about 2100 - 2200 to maintain, believe it or else.

I also eat unsalted roasted nuts, both peanuts and almonds. I eat whatever the serving suggestion is, in the case of my brands, 28 grams of almonds and 30 grams of peanuts. Yummy, and they have some fiber.[/quote']

Thanks for the nuts suggestion. I am thinking of getting some unsalted almonds or cashews from costco as a snack. Need to be a little careful around them because I can see them as sliders.

Andy trader joes sells raw mixed nuts that are really tasty :)

Yup - see those bags all the time at TJ, calling out. :) just have not committed yet to buying nuts yet post op. i guess now or never. I was thinking why not "go big" or "go bulk" by buying nuts from costco. More nuts for the money. No that is not a bumper sticker for a pimpin trade line. Lol.

My go-to satiety food is beef Jerky. I am particularly fond of Costo's Kirkland Signature Steak Strips; 1 oz (2 pieces of jerky) is only 60 calories. 2 oz. of it and I am *stuffed* for only 120 calories.

Also, for a no-calorie tummy filler, I drink a mug of hot tea with Splenda. I like fruity teas a lot (Republic of Tea Ginger Peach Green Tea, and Lipton's Orange Passionfruit Jasmine Green Tea are two current faves). I'm always struggling to get enough fluids in and so now each day before I eat anything I make sure I drink at least one full mug of tea, and when I want to eat but don't have the calorie budget, a mug of tea helps tame the hungry monster.

My go-to satiety food is beef Jerky. I am particularly fond of Costo's Kirkland Signature Steak Strips; 1 oz (2 pieces of jerky) is only 60 calories. 2 oz. of it and I am *stuffed* for only 120 calories.

Also' date=' for a no-calorie tummy filler, I drink a mug of hot tea with Splenda. I like fruity teas a lot (Republic of Tea Ginger Peach Green Tea, and Lipton's Orange Passionfruit Jasmine Green Tea are two current faves). I'm always struggling to get enough fluids in and so now each day before I eat anything I make sure I drink at least one full mug of tea, and when I want to eat but don't have the calorie budget, a mug of tea helps tame the hungry monster.[/quote']

Oh, how I love the costco Steak strips, let me count the ways. Unfortunately, it also is a trigger food for me and tends to slide a bit when I eat it. They are so good. Probably better for me not to have beef jerky around. I am not much of a tea drinker, but will look into that.

This may or may not kick the hunger out, but I keep the light Babybel cheeses in my fridge. The light version is only 50 calories and a whopping 6 grams of Protein. (They are pricey at the grocery store but well worth it at Costco). It really helps me feel like I'm eating something without blowing my calorie budget.

They are the ones sold in a plastic netted bag and each cheese wheel is encased in a layer of wax. As long as they stay cold they are quite portable.