Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After the first 6 - 12 monthsAre there foods that are difficult to digest after the sleeve surgery

I am asking this question because I had the VBG 12 years ago and after the initial healing, I besically could not eat healthy foods, and by that I mean meat, fish, fruits and veggies....I seemed to exist mostly on junk food because my stomach could process that. My theory was that the pouch was so small it did not have all the necessary stomach juices to digest the healthier foods.

A year ago the opening, which was the size of a dime, got completely blocked...water wouldnt even go down. I had emergency surgery and he unblocked it and removed half of the band. So the size of the upper stomach is stil smaller than the a regular stomach but then it passes through and is digested in the lower stomach. And I can literally eat ANYTHING but It is still not restricted enough to make a difference because I re-gained 80 of the 100 pounds I lost.

However, I do not want to put myself in the same position of not being able to digest healthy foods. Can anyone tell me what your experience is with foods such as steak, fish, vegetables and fruits, 6-12 months after the surgery?

Thank you,

Natalie

That is going to vary alot. I made a big leap just after my 1 year sleeversary and switched from the protien dense, carb scarce diet I had been on to a much more nutrient dense veggie & fruit diet. I eat almost 80% of my food now as whole foods. I eat from each color group daily. I get my protien in, to be sure, but it comes from greens and such - and eggs, and yes meat. Occasionally.

I am by no means vegan, but for me, right now, this seems to be working. I add meat on occasion but no grains, no refined sugars either. I avoid processed foods and do not under any circumstances eat at a fast food place.

I do not treat myself either. For how long? Meh. I dont know. Indefinately. It is working for me right now and I don't like compromising the way I feel for a bite of anything.

Sounds like you had the lapband? There are many posts on here that speak towards those that have had the revision to sleeve and I am sure that you will gain alot of insight from them.

I had a revision last September and the VSG is nothing like the lapband. I am 6.5 months out and eat anything I try, food does not get stuck, I have never vomited and have surpassed my goal weight loss. I can eat veggies, chicken, yogurt things that I couldn't with the band. I have yet to try beef but I am sure that I could. Absolutely the best decision I could have made to get the band removed.

Sounds like you had the lapband? There are many posts on here that speak towards those that have had the revision to sleeve and I am sure that you will gain alot of insight from them.

I had a revision last September and the VSG is nothing like the lapband. I am 6.5 months out and eat anything I try, food does not get stuck, I have never vomited and have surpassed my goal weight loss. I can eat veggies, chicken, yogurt things that I couldn't with the band. I have yet to try beef but I am sure that I could. Absolutely the best decision I could have made to get the band removed.

if you can eat chicken, beef should be nothing, provided it is a good cut, cut against the grain and chewed well.

There is no food I have not been able to eat. That started at about 9 months post. I eat steak, fish, lobster, cauliflower, broccoli ... you name it.

I choose not to eat breads, rices and pastas that often as I consider them nutritionally irrelevant. I have between 6 to 8 ounces of space in my stomach. These foods swell after eating, so am I really going to give that space away to a piece of bread when I can enjoy another bite of steak or ribs? Perhaps two more asparagus spears ... easy choice, for me.

I was able to eat chicken at 2 months, but steak was at 6 months, for me ... and that was a juicy tenderloin. Could only get about 2 ounces, but it was a start.

Now, I can eat 4 oz with some veggies.

I'm only 20 weeks out. I don't feel like there's anything I couldn't eat if I choose to eat it.

I don't really eat bread or Pasta. I might have a tablespoon of cooked brown rice with some things, I guess for some textural variety.

Did you have a lap band? I had a revision in January and I can eat pretty much anything. Pasta, bread, and rice make me feel very full and nauseous so i dont eat them. Potatoes in any form (mashed, baked, french fried) do not go down well. feel like it sits in my chest so i avoid potatoes also. I eat all meats okay (haven't tried steak but summer is coming) but the portion size is very small. Tonight I baked chicken nuggets and was able to eat 1 1/2 nuggets and a spoon full of peas....that's it!! Some people say they do not get hungry but I am hungry a lot.

Pork, beef and some vegetables are harder to digest so it may take longer for your stomach to tolerate. In due time you should be able to eat most everything fine.

Only thing I have had issues with is roast cooked in gravy. I can eat steak, I can eat all meat, all vegetables, but the two times I had roast cooked in gravy I got sick. I think it varies with all people.

VBG isn't quite like the lapband, but just as bad, if not worse

I am 14 months out and have been able to digest healthy, lean sources of meat and fruits/veggies with no problems. I actually feel worse with junk food, frieds, etc. hope this helps

I had VSG in Dec & can eat anything...steak, chicken, veggies. Just much smaller portions.

I am 8 months out and can eat almost anything, but flour tortillas, Pasta, and rice feel unpleasant pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. It sounds like it is different for everyone.... I dont mind eating smaller portions, in fact I prefer that, but the problem for me with the band was EXTREME discomfort with any of the "healthy" foods I mentioned........like the pouch just wasnt able to digest those foods and I usually ended up vomiting so I was unable to eat all that good stuff.....I cant stand the thought of being so uncomfortable for the rest of my life that I cant eat meat, fish, veggies and fruit.....so I guess there is some risk of that from what some people said.

Another question....with the VBG, the opening was the size of a dime......what is the diameter of the sleeve? I assume it is fairly standard?

thanks again...