Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paying extra for a high BMI

Hi, I'm new to the forum, this place is great! Im looking to get the gastric sleeve and I found one hospital in Mexico that was going to do it for $4500. Right before I was going to pay the deposit I was told that I had to pay an extra $1000 because my BMI was 50.

Has anyone else been told this before?

Thanks,Tony.

With my surgeon it was an extra 500$ if your BMI was over 50. If your BMI is right at 50 I would get it down to 49 before surgery and then you won't have to pay the extra.

Yes, this is standard practice for Mexican doctors. My doctor had a cut of 49.0. When I made my deposit my BMI was 54! I lost weight prior to surgery to get my BMI under 49. I've learned that since this they have changed their cut off to 46, so looks like I just made it. Most doctors in Mexico that I checked out, had a cut off between 46 and 50 and if you were higher than that they'd charge 500-1200 more.

I wished I've would have known this from the start, I've been in contacted with at least 5 facilitators since late January. Not once that was mentioned until I was ready to put down the deposit. Thanks for the replies!!!!!

You did not say if it is just irritating that you have to pay more or if it will delay your surgery. If it will delay you, just buckle down and save as much and as quick as possible. Just set your mind that no matter what hurdle pops up that you will jump it! It might be a delay but it is not insurmountable. If it does not delay you, let it go as much as possible and focus on prepping and dreaming about the great new life that awaits you! This is worth doing whatever is necessary to make it happen. Hang tough!

My bmi was over 50 and I did pay $1000 more. I tried to lose the wieght and came up a bit short. I lost 23 lbs in the 3 weeks prior to surgery, I needed to lose about 26-27lbs. The thing is I am ussually 6'1.75" and when they measured me I was only 6' 3/4". All my extra wieght must have compressed my spine( only thing I can think of). When I got home I measured myself and sure enough I was shorter then I thought. I've lost 82lbs since surgery and have measured myself since and seem too have gained some hieght back. Just a warning for others to make sure your as tall as you think you are. I will say it's the best extra $1000 I have ever spent. Good luck.

My bmi was over 50 and I did pay $1000 more. I tried to lose the wieght and came up a bit short. I lost 23 lbs in the 3 weeks prior to surgery, I needed to lose about 26-27lbs. The thing is I am ussually 6'1.75" and when they measured me I was only 6' 3/4". All my extra wieght must have compressed my spine( only thing I can think of). When I got home I measured myself and sure enough I was shorter then I thought. I've lost 82lbs since surgery and have measured myself since and seem too have gained some hieght back. Just a warning for others to make sure your as tall as you think you are. I will say it's the best extra $1000 I have ever spent. Good luck.

I was trying to lose the weight to avoid the extra charge also and right before I left for Mexico, I was exactly at my required BMI... then I had a horrific thought.. WHAT if I had shrunk over the years? So when I got there I stretched up for all I could stretch and 65 inches on the nose.. I made it... but I was REALLY sweatin' it out.

I never even thought of my hieght, but I think people with a high BMI should make sure so they are not surprized when they have to pay more. This is what this forum is for, to help those that are about to have the surgery. I know this forum helped me alot when I started my journey.

Dr. Kelly was $500 more for a BMI over 50. My BMI was over 50, and I didn't pay the fee.