Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I work for a very small family owned company, only about eight employees. I planned on taking a week and a half of vacation days for my surgery. Im a graphic designer so i sit a lot in my job. One of my coworkers said that I should be taking disability instead of vacation day. However I'm afraid that my boss will treat me badly and be mean to me out of spite if I use disability as opposed to vacation days. (She is a VERY mean boss) I never looked into disability so I'm not quite sure how it works. Does everyone plan on using vacation time or filing for disability? I could use some opinions :/

I think you have to be out of work 4 or 6 weeks to get disability. I don't think you can collect disability for 1.5 weeks. I would just use my vacation time if I had it.

I had to use a week of vacation time (or sick time) and then my company's short term disability kicked in. I took quite a bit of time (needed the adjustment period). However, I have a desk job and COULD have went back sooner if I chose. I would say do whatever works best for you. Small company is a tough call though...

Good luck in your journey!

In virginia it works like this: for the first week you must use all sick days you have & then get no pay for the missing days. Then for the second week you can use short term disability & get paid.

Ask for the fmla papers for your doctor to fill out.

I took three weeks, the first week was a waiting period so you have to use sick pay or vaca. The last two weeks were disability, but since its not all your reg pay my work uses some sick pay to make up the difference. That way I got full pay for three weeks and didn't lose any money! Your work also has to pay into disability.

I'm taking two weeks sick and then disability for 3 weeks. I work for the state so I have to use all of my sick time before disability kicks in.

I'm only taking one week of PTO (paid time off). Having surgery on Friday, taking the week off, then going back on Monday.

You honestly need more than a week after surgery! You could have complications, SS not heal in time or properly... You need to put in for FMLA and short term disability. This is major surgery that alters your physical and mental state. Just be open and honest with your boss about what your doing and that you will be back as soon as the Dr. Clears you and do it right with no rushing! Just setting yourself up for something worse and not be covered. FMLA protects you from MEAN bosses.

Wcn1970 is right take the time you need!

I took 3 sick days. my surgery on Wednesday and back to work Monday following. I have a desk job. I figure if I had complications then i would then apply for disability (after 5 days of sick) but did not need to. everyone reacts different though so do what is best for you. disability may pay only portion of pay so vacation pay may be better.

I had 2 weeks short term disability. Like the other poster I could've went back to work in 3 days. Thankfully no issues & 6 months out already...

I just would have hated to have gone back to work and made things worse cause I should have been following my Drs advise and be at home for 2 weeks adjusting.

I could have gone back to work early, but glad I took 3 weeks, cause one day I would be fine and then the next day I would be so bloody exhausted. By the middle of the third week I was ready to go back to work. You have to remember those first few weeks you can barely eat a thing. Your not getting a lot of nutrients, some can't even handle.

Vitamins. Just take your time and don't push yourself, especially if you do have to go back to work early.

My surgery is on Tuesday and I plan to return to work Monday. I will take more time if I need it, but from everything I've read I'll be ready unless there are complications. My doctor agrees. After over 4000 surgeries, I trust his judgement. :-)

disability instead of vacation day. She is a VERY mean boss

SuchaPrettyFaceBUT

suck it up :lol:

use vaca - don't want any problems with "mean" boss!!! :(

since you have a sitting job, and when your feeling ok - you probably will be able to go back to work sooner than later.

good luck bud

speedy recovry