Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you take for acid reduction

Have done 2 rounds of protonix. First month I did 1 a day and then the second months my doc bumped me to 2 a day. Still not helping. Still occasionally burp up a mouth full of acidic liquid and ALWAYS feel like I'm starving. I'm 3 months out. Looking for what worked for everyone else so I have some ideas as to what to ask for from my surgeon. I already tried the over the counter stuff to no avail so that's out

I take prilosec helps me alot

Why is the acid so bad? It is happening to me a lot. I am taking Prevacid, and I don't think it's working if I am still having problems.

I dont know why I just know alot of people have this issue spec after surgery

I take Nexium 40mg started as 1x a day but my surgeon bumped me to 2x a day because I was having reflux in the middle of the night .I would wake up coughing up acid :( It seems to be helping a little more now .

I take prilosec helps me alot

Agree. Try taking prilosec everyday. I get bad reflux if I forget to take it every day by evening time.

I have also been waking up gagging on acid. It doesn't matter what or when I eat. It is really gross and leaves my throat hurting in a way.

Agree. Try taking prilosec everyday. I get bad reflux if I forget to take it every day by evening time.

really thought you had to take it on an empty stomach?

I take prilosec (omeprazole) 2x/day, and i still get heartburn sometimes. I never had that problem before surgery. I hope it goes away. I am 2 1/2 months post op.

my bad read it wrong, lol

Why is the acid so bad? It is happening to me a lot. I am taking Prevacid' date=' and I don't think it's working if I am still having problems.[/quote']

I read that your stomach still produces the same amount of acid after surgery as it does before surgery. So our little stomachs are like a witches brew of acid in there. I am on Plotonix too and take sometimes two a day. When I need instant relief I fall back on my Zantac 150.

Tums can also help in the middle of the night if you wake up with nasty acid burning your throat.

There are a few things that are non pharmaceutical that you can try as well. Do not eat within 45 minutes of laying down. Elevate the head of your bed( you can do this with a wedge pillow or you can actually put the head up on blocks). Avoid caffeine, smoking, spicy foods, alcoho, fried or fatty foods. Chew well with small amounts in each bite. Yes, I know these are mostly all things we should be doing anyway but, just in case you have not been... :)

I take one prevacid in the am and a pepsin at night.it works great and before surgery I had GERD and a few years ago barrette esophagus and it healed it so I'm a prevacid lover. now I get GERD if I eat past 7 pm. I also get a rotten food taste in my mouth.it is gross.