Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies, you have confirmed what I've known all along: Having two of you (Linda, Lynda) in the group has got to be a lucky sign. And I was right. You both rock rocks!

I am so impressed ... and thank you ... for sharing your holiday ideas with us. I love them. Since I am a lone wolf, they are especially motivational to do something festive!

I used to cook, but I don't anymore for a variety of reasons, including having handicapped equipment that don't fit in my pea-sized kitchen. Even my little dog, Shiki, can barely fit his 7 lb. body in there.

I equate trying a new recipe for cooking one vegetable with the challenge and motivation required to publish in magazines. (Something I'm trying to do as well.) Yeah, my thing is writing. Been doing it all my life. And I'm pretty good at it. But domestic accomplishments? They are noticeably absent from my resume. <smile>

So I am excited about using some of your great suggestions to make my holiday more festive! Yay!

I am now almost 2 months post-op and I am finally getting to know my sleeve, KTPea, a little better. For example, whereas 3 days ago I had an occurrence of the dreaded dumping syndrome, and 2 days ago I suffered from taking one bite too many and was sickly for hour. Today I had not quite 1/4 cup of pureed chicken salad, and barely burped at all.

This is one tricky piece of medical wizardry which promises great things if/when you get past the early stages. On a good day, I have less than 500 calories, 60 g of Protein and 32 oz. of Water. I'm starting to branch out from just liquids, which I'd been consuming for about a month.

Much as I initially loved being able to add Soup to my repertoire, (it was thrilling at first, like a person in the desert finding Water after being lost for days). Anyway, the naivety wore off, and now I'm not sure what I'll do with all the Soup I bought.

I do want to eat real food, but it will be a slow process. I am used to eating pre-cooked food that I get from Whole Foods or frozen dinners (the crème de la crème like Marie Calendar and Lean Cuisine). I had counted on ordering from my favorite food distributor, Diet Gourmet. They made and sold great dinners as whole or separate Entrees. Then reality hit the fan and I learned they had closed 3-4 years ago. w-a-h. :(

I am pretty much relying on the Sleeve groups to come up with recipes to try.

So keep up the good work, ladies. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words Sassy.

I think I am figuring out it will be best to stick to our very satisfying routine of a Protein Shake in the mornings, and Soup at night for awhile, with changes for lunch to include a little cottage cheese, Jello, yogurt and broth. Add in a couple popsicles a day and we are good. I too had bought a lot of Soups, and will make use of them. We are loving the cream of chicken, celery, asparagus and mushroom. When the Soups cool down I am adding the Protein powders.

The reason for me doing this, is that it satisfies us, and doesn't require thinking LOL. I bought a whole large cauliflower yesterday and thought whatever will I do with this when I got home. Last week I cooked cauliflower, mashed it up with a mixer, and it just did not taste very good after all that work. Besides, who wants to sit and eat cauliflower by itself unless it is raw!

Thats when I decided the rest of December we will relax and do what we are doing.

I have erred on the side of caution and no dumping experienced, no nausea, no sickness. Just taking it slow, telling my husband what I think and letting him decide for himself.

BTW we had a little Cream of Wheat yesterday with Protein Powder, and I felt like a million dollars, eating an old food I love. Didn't even feel guilty!

Sassy, do you have your microwave outside your small kitchen? That might help you have better access.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Ladies, you have confirmed what I've known all along: Having two of you (Linda, Lynda) in the group has got to be a lucky sign. And I was right. You both rock rocks! I am so impressed ... and thank you ... for sharing your holiday ideas with us. I love them. Since I am a lone wolf, they are especially motivational to do something festive! I used to cook, but I don't anymore for a variety of reasons, including having handicapped equipment that don't fit in my pea-sized kitchen. Even my little dog, Shiki, can barely fit his 7 lb. body in there. I equate trying a new recipe for cooking one vegetable with the challenge and motivation required to publish in magazines. (Something I'm trying to do as well.) Yeah, my thing is writing. Been doing it all my life. And I'm pretty good at it. But domestic accomplishments? They are noticeably absent from my resume. <smile> So I am excited about using some of your great suggestions to make my holiday more festive! Yay! I am now almost 2 months post-op and I am finally getting to know my sleeve, KTPea, a little better. For example, whereas 3 days ago I had an occurrence of the dreaded dumping syndrome, and 2 days ago I suffered from taking one bite too many and was sickly for hour. Today I had not quite 1/4 cup of pureed chicken salad, and barely burped at all. This is one tricky piece of medical wizardry which promises great things if/when you get past the early stages. On a good day, I have less than 500 calories, 60 g of Protein and 32 oz. of Water. I'm starting to branch out from just liquids, which I'd been consuming for about a month. Much as I initially loved being able to add Soup to my repertoire, (it was thrilling at first, like a person in the desert finding Water after being lost for days). Anyway, the naivety wore off, and now I'm not sure what I'll do with all the soup I bought. I do want to eat real food, but it will be a slow process. I am used to eating pre-cooked food that I get from Whole Foods or frozen dinners (the crème de la crème like Marie Calendar and Lean Cuisine). I had counted on ordering from my favorite food distributor, Diet Gourmet. They made and sold great dinners as whole or separate Entrees. Then reality hit the fan and I learned they had closed 3-4 years ago. w-a-h. :( I am pretty much relying on the Sleeve groups to come up with recipes to try. So keep up the good work, ladies. Thanks!

Sassy,

I like low fat lunch meats and cheeses, canned low fat chili, rotisserie chicken, canned tuna, shrimp and crab meat.

For the lunch meats and cheeses, early out, before I could eat bread, I rolled them together and ate it like that. For the chicken, I slice it and portion it, freezing what I can't eat fast enough. I freeze it in sandwich baggies. You can add the chicken to canned Soups, mix with mayo, or heat and eat with BBQ Sauce. Further out, it is good in salads too.

I buy the precooked minute rice in brown rice or whole gran medley. Each little cup is two servings. Just heat in the microwave.

I also buy meats from the precooked deli section. Not sure if you have a Whole Foods nearby but they have great cooked stuff and we eat so little it doesn't matter that it's pricey.

Lynda

Hello Boomers,

First things first. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARTS! What did you do to Celebrate? As I get older, I am really grateful for another year of continued good health.

~~~~~Secondly, I haven’t figured it out how to interact effectively with this site. And that’s why I’m not on here more often. For some reason, I cannot copy anything onto the page. Today, I got lucky and a box appeared asking me if I would allow web access to my clipboard. I said, yes, and another box appeared to paste into. However, I had a lot of trouble with the size of the text. So you’r either gonna get birdseed or billboard size text. I can’t control it.

I have had several chats with Alex and he keeps pushing the Chrome browser. He insists if I download it, I won’t have any problems with the site.

~~~~~Third, I am a member of several fb groups, and I often go there first to compose some scintillating piece of wisdom or experience … mostly, just ordinary stuff … lol. I’ve wanted to share some of that with you but couldn’t copy it. Since I can do it today, I’m copying everything as one long continuous thread. Sorry, but it’s the only way I can do it

~~~~~Fourth, Protein Shakes. I'm still gulping Protein shakes. Got sooo tired of Premier chocolate, so based on all the good things I read, I order Syntrax strawberry Kiwi. I hate it, but I have 12, which I'll probably try to shove down my throat.

I wonder if anyone else had this experience. It has a really strange taste, and I finally figured out what it tastes like Roquefort cheese (or blue cheese or goat cheese - I hate them all). Double yech. As if that weren’t enough, total Protein is 23 g … only after you consume all 4 servings … Oh, great, not bad enough that I have to swallow this gunk once. I have to do it 4 times. This just doesn’t seem right.

Did I buy the wrong product? Did anyone else notice the taste? Is there another flavor you recommend? I'm still sooo sick of Premier chocolate, but at least I don't abhor it like I do this Syntrax. Help?

~~~~~~~~~Next topic is complications. I apologize for having to mix seemingly disparate topics in just one post. But until I figure out how to interact with this site, that’s how it will be. Sorry.

COMPLICATIONS

Most of us are good about taking our Vitamins, but it never hurts to be reminded of why we have to do it. Taking the Vitamins and Calcium is not optional. You can actually die if you don't do it right. Sadly, I just read about two sisters who got the Sleeve, and one of them died from malnutrition. They didn't catch it in time.

Here's another story of a Sleever, facing life-threatening consequences because she got too low on her B1 vitamins. “This was totally overlooked after seeing a Neurologist, my family Dr. and my surgeon. I only had my 2 week checkup and just recently my 3 month checkup. This kind of thing does not normally occur this fast, but it did for me!

"I am currently undergoing 8 days of IV Infusion for B1, Thiamine deficiency, symptoms of a life threatening disease called "dry beriberi". The same symptoms I am seeing my neurologist for: weakness in my legs, numbness in my feet and fingers, pain and burning in my feet, sensation issues, balance and gait and muscle loss. As well as too advanced weight loss.

"My surgeon said they might see illness this from a patient who was 1 year out from bypass, but not this early. I started at 226 lbs. and now weigh approx. 130's lbs. after less than 4 months.

Hopefully I will see some relief from the treatments soon, but so far nothing. I just want to make everyone aware that you are not totally free from Vitamin deficiencies. I am rare apparently, but I am sure I am not alone."

I'll end this with one of my favorite quotes: "To be forewarned is to be forearmed."

~~~~~Last but not least, big thank you to Lynda for providing me with an array of choices and suggestions on what foods I can put together for variety and added protein. I do appreciate you,

Ms. Linda. How’s hubby? Is he doing OK? Why was he in the hospital for so long? Write and tell us the whole story. BTW, I have some great recipes with mashed cauliflower. I'll try to past them to this thread.

Luv, Sassy

Edited by SassySenior

Cauliflower,

I just "Pinned" a recipe for Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Soup to my Pinterest board. Sadly, I don't know how to tell you to access. Maybe you can let me know. In the meantime, here's another.

Shelly's Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole

Steam cauliflower poured over a homemade cheese sauce (like for mac & cheese) and whiz that up.

Ingredients:

4 cups Cauliflower, steamed

4 Tbs. Butter, divided use

1/4 cup Flour

1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard

1 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. Pepper

3 cups Milk

3/4 pound Sharp Cheddar cheese (3 cups)

1/4 cup bread Crumbs (optional)

Steam cauliflower set aside. Melt 3 tablespoons butter, blend in flour & seasonings. Add milk. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese; pour over steamed cauliflower and mix till combined. Top with optional crumbs mixed with remaining 1 tablespoons of butter. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

You can add cooked ground chicken, turkey or beef to this too. Throw your portion in the Black & Decker Mini Chopper food Processor and whiz away.

Edited by SassySenior

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Birthdays are not a bid time for me (I've had lots :-). I can wait till Christmas.

I still use Protein supplimentation. I use unjury and it still tastes fine to me!

For cauliflower, I just slice, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper and put on a baking sheet - at 350 for 25 minutes or so.

Well, Arts, I'm pretty impressed that you have a creative way of fixing cauliflower. I definitely wanna try it. What size slices are we talking about?

Do you have any other interesting ways of cooking other things as well? We are into sharing ... lol ... especially because your moderator ... namely, me ... needs help.

I read a post recently that talked about taking frozen green Beans and tossing with olive oil and a few spices (don't remember exactly, but I think garlic, salt and pepper, maybe more). Anyway you toss them together, then put on a baking sheet at 425? for 20 min.? and they taste fabulous.

So ... back to you, Arts ... so when exactly is your B-day?

I have been wanting to share the following with you guys for quite some time. Now that I can paste again (not sure how long that will last), I figure I better do it before the evil board turns against me again.

So here it is. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

10 Steps To Making Change Easier --author unknown

1. Begin by making small changes or break up large-scale changes into more manageable increments. This can make you feel better about handling the changes you are about to make while making you more comfortable with change in general.

2. Mentally link changes to established daily rituals. This can make changes like taking on a new habit, starting a new example, if you want to begin meditating at home, try weaving it into your morning routine.

3. Going with the flow can help you accept change instead of resisting it. If you stay flexible, you will be able to ride out change without too much turbulence.

4. When a change feels most stressful, relief can often be found in finding the good that it brings. An illness, a financial loss, or a broken relationship can seem like the end of the world, yet they also can be blessings in disguise.

5. Remember that all change involves a degree of learning. If you find change particularly stressful, try to keep in mind that after this period of transformation has passed, you will be a wiser person for it.

6. Remember that upheaval and confusion are often natural parts of change. While we can anticipate certain elements that a change might bring, it is impossible to know everything that will happen in advance. Be prepared for unexpected surprises, and the winds of change won't easily knock you over.

7. Don't feel like you have to cope with changing circumstances or the stress of making a change on your own. Talk about what's going on for you with a friend or write about it in a journal. Sharing your feelings can give you a sense of relief while helping you find the strength to carry on.

8. Give yourself time to accept any changes that you face. And as change happens, recognize that you may need time to adjust to your new situation. Allow yourself a period of time to reconcile your feelings. This can make big changes feel less extreme.

9. No matter how large or difficult a change is, you will eventually adapt to these new circumstances. Remember that regardless of how great the change, all the new that it brings will eventually weave itself into the right places in your life.

10. If you're trying to change a pattern of behavior or navigate your way through a life change, don't assume that it has to be easy. Wanting to cry or being moody during a period of change is natural. Then again, don't assume that making a change needs to be hard. Sometimes, changes are meant to be that easy.

Edited by SassySenior

First meal simmering in the crockpot today, Yay! A variation of a fabulous casserole I used to make. Cut up chicken breast, can of FF cream of mushroom Soup, minced mushrooms, pepper, 1/4 cup white wine, and about 1.4 cup shredded lowfat swiss cheese. My husband is getting antsy for food lol. He jumped for joy when I gave him 1/2 cup turkey chili yesterday. I will roast my green Beans tossed in olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and maybe mince in the blender with some chicken broth. The taste of these simple fresh green Beans is awesome. We were snacking on them prior to surgery, while watching football.

Sassy, my husband had a problem in the hospital, we believe due to a catheter being poorly inserted. He was in agony following surgery, and 4 days and 4 nurses causing more problems everytime they yanked the bag out and re-inserted, was a nightmare. He went home with a cath bag on Thursday, and visited his urologist on Monday, who directed him how to remove the bag himself Tues a.m at 6:00. Easy peasey, No problem since, but lasting memories for him. He is a pretty tough guy, but not this.

Note, I bought Goya canned corned beef yesterday. My husband is needing a meat fix. 2 oz, has 120 cals, 7 g fat, 15 g Protein, 460 mg sodium, 0 carbs. I am keeping him as carb free as possible because of his blood sugar, til he is stabilized a little. His blood sugars are running about 100-120 every morning, rather than 300-400.

I would like help with your discoveries, as we all branch out from the shakes and Soups.

I am dreaming of bread, rolls, potpies with crust - I would take bread over pecan pie lol! But I am steering clear. My taste buds are changing, has anyone experienced this?

Blessings everyone!

Well, Arts, I'm pretty impressed that you have a creative way of fixing cauliflower. I definitely wanna try it. What size slices are we talking about?

Do you have any other interesting ways of cooking other things as well? We are into sharing ... lol ... especially because your moderator ... namely, me ... needs help.

I read a post recently that talked about taking frozen green Beans and tossing with olive oil and a few spices (don't remember exactly, but I think garlic, salt and pepper, maybe more). Anyway you toss them together, then put on a baking sheet at 425? for 20 min.? and they taste fabulous.

So ... back to you, Arts ... so when exactly is your B-day?

12-3, Sassy,

basically you can roast / bake anything you can boil and get much better flavor... ummm, maybe not oatmeal?

Oh, Arts ... you're a comedian as well as a gourmet cook!

But I still wanna know when you're birthday is.

I agree with you on the baking ... but my mother who was 100% Irish was a boiler. She boiled everything. Heck, I was 16 before I learned you can do something other than boil a hamburger! Ha Ha.

Those were the days. I wasn't a wild child, but I certainly believed in doing things my way ... like staying out till all hours. My mother was a worrier, so this was a bad combination. I used to come up with the most creative excuses for why I couldn't make it home on time. My car was my favorite excuse. As far as my mother was concerned, my car would break down at every turn. I think she actually believed I had the worst car in the world. Ah ... those were the days, no?

Now, Linda, OMG, your poor hubby. While my dr. nearly killed me after surgery, what your husband went through sounds like torture. That's the problem with going to the hospital, we put way too much trust in nurses and doctors. They know their stuff, usually, but when we start having problems, we need to questions them. I was too out of it to do that, and it never occurred to the friend I brought along. Quite the opposite - she thought whatever they said was true.

Now, as to eating meat, I assume you're pureeing everything? I'm on a 4-week puree, and I gotta tell you, it works well for me. I can only eat 1/4 cup of pureed food. I can eat more Soup because it's liquid. I can also add a Greek Yogurt to most meals without much problem.

I cannot imagine how I'm gonna eat real food soon. My next appt. is Thu, and that's when I go on real food, or whatever's next after pureed. Your crockpot dinner sounds yummy. That makes me realize what I need is a wife! Yeah, I need someone to cook for me, hold my hand and tell me everything's gonna be alright, and generally coddle me.

So how the heck are you doing since your surgery?

And I guess no one gained much of anything from my "memorable 10-points?" Oh well, better luck next time.

Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
more on http://www.bodybuildingnfo.com/

Great for Low Carbers -
Just like mac and cheese without the pasta
2 lbs cauliflower florets
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
8 oz block cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons heavy cream
2 bunches green onions, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
6 sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 clove garlic, grated
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Steam cauliflower florets until tender.
While cauliflower steams, cream together 6 oz of the shredded cheddar, 6 oz of the Monterrey Jack, cream cheese, and heavy cream.
Stir in sliced green onions, chopped bacon, and garlic.
Set aside.
Drain any liquid from steamed cauliflower and add to cheese mixture.
Stir cauliflower and cheese mixture together.
Taste for seasoning, and add as necessary.
If you want a finer texture, give a few mashes with the potato masher.
Pour into a 2-3 quart casserole and sprinkle on remaining cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese.
Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly.
Enjoy!

♥♥♥ SHARE so you can find it on your timeline ♥♥♥

Healthy Fitness Recipes
See More
1459283_223566594433982_394191338_n.jpg

GUESS WHAT?

Tomorrow is the big day. I finally find out what I weigh. Yeah! :rolleyes:

It's been nearly 7 weeks. My SW was 363. My weight on 11/14 was 356, I've been on the pureed diet for a month, so you know I have eaten much. :blush:

The question is what do I weigh? Make a guess. See how your guess stacks up against our other Boomers. The winner who guess closest to my CW will win a prize. :D

Give it your best shot! B)

You'll find out what the prize is after you submit your guess! Fair enough? ;)

Thanks, Linda. Your prize awaits. See, I never made it to appt. The highway I was on had a massive traffic jam that extended some 10 miles+. Don't know if it was accident or road construction. We had to get off, turn around and go home.

I'll call tomorrow and resked.

Thanks for paying attention! Can always count on you! How's hubs? Sounds like he is doing great on the blood sugar. I'm a little spoiled from never having a problem with mine. Don't take it regularly. When I do take it, it's around 150, but I'm not taking all my meds.

TTYL