Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 1st ... no fooling!

Boy how time flies! Scheduling my revision has been such a whirlwind of "ta dos" and now... here I am thinking I will be sleeved on April 1st! It's just around the corner and I am excited... scared... worried... hopeful... and a million other emotions! I will be so glad to have my Lapband removed... especially the port as it has bothered me for 9 long years. I pray that my journey to Mexico and my surgery with Dr. Aceves both go as planned!

My flight arrives in San Diego on Easter at 10:55 AM. When do you and your friend arrive?

We are flying in the night before.... they will be picking us up at the hotel... I think after they pick you and another couple up at the airport. We will all have a couple of hours to get to know each other on the ride into Mexicali! It's going to be so nice to be somewhere warm!

I can't wait! I don't know if I will be nervous quiet or a chatterbox. Lol

Well there is no need to be nervous around Gracie and I ... we are both very friendly! I can understand being nervous about the surgery... but don't be nervous around us! Besides... Gracie can help us all with interpreting... she was born in Mexico! She is always trying to teach me Spanish at work but apparently my brain is partial to English. :) We'll all help each other through this as well as having an awesome surgeon and staff!

I won't be nervous because of you two. I'm excited that Gracie is fluent and traveling with "us." I did print off the spanish phrase that the pre-op or one of the packets had just in case. lol. I can't believe in 8 days I will be boarding a plane and getting ready to do a procedure that will change my life!

Dr. Aceves is doing my surgery in 8 days. How was your experience there and more importantly how are you doing?

Sleeve Girl,

Dr. Aceves is a very skilled and also a sweet and caring surgeon. I was well taken care of by his staff and Dr. Campos also comes to check in on patients several times a day. It's different... not like the US... but in some ways it is a lot better... a lot less red tape and more attentive care. Hospital Almater is a very nice hospital... very clean and more modern than I would have expected. Again... not like hospitals in the US but I didn't have that expectation. There is a special area for bariatric patients. You have a private room with your own bathroom and shower. There is a couch in the room if you bring a companion ( Bring one if you can... it is important to have that support). During the day there is always someone around that speaks English. Some of the nurses speak English... some don't.

I was a revision from band to sleeve and my revision was complicated. My recovery has been slow but it's getting better. Don't expect it to be a walk in the park. Some people recover very quickly and others (like me) have a more complicated recovery.

I can tell you that I always felt that I was in good hands and that my wellbeing was the top priority. I still have active contact with Dr. Aceves and his team at 2.5 weeks out and it is nice to have continuing care even though it is at a great distance.

I have lost 18 lbs in 18 days which I am very happy with... it was not easy... it was not magic but I hold on to the realization that it will ultimately be worth it.

Wishing you the very best with your surgery and do feel free to be very sassy with Dr. Campos... it will keep him on his toes. ;) BTW... both Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos speak English very well... as well as the rest of the surgical team.

Let us know how everything goes!

Darcy

Hi Darcy,

Glad to hear you are doing better and have lost 18 lbs! :) My mom will be with me the whole time I'm there so that gives me some comfort. It would be nice to meet up with someone having the surgery same day as me. I have to admit I'm getting mixed emotions already about the surgery...excited and scared at the same time. Anyway, best wishes to you and thanks again for taking the time to reply. :)