Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone willing to post the pre-op diet?

Hey everybody,

Just curious if anyone has a copy of the pre-op diet their doctor prescribed them and if they could post it. I don't have a surgery date and actually have not made my mind up 100 percent for surgery (as I already have the lap band) but I would like to follow the pre-op diet to help me lose some weight right now. I swear I am steadily gaining and it is really taking its toll on me! Mentally and physically. :(

My two-week pre-op diet was:

2 Protein powder shakes (made with one scoop of powder and 8 ounces of Water - nothing else)

plus one meal consisting of 4 ounces meat, poultry or fish, plus one half-cup serving of vegetables.

My weight loss surgery clinic provided the big jug of Protein Powder - enough for the two weeks, along with a special shaker cup. They also provide special multi-Vitamins formulated for bariatric surgery patients.

Mine was for a week as follows:

high Protein shakes (up to 6/day) and Clear liquids only:

Protein Shakes - Atkins, slimfast lower carb, boost glucose control or carnation instant Breakfast --- I bought Premier Protein shakes from costco, it has 30grams of Protein

Clear Liquids - sugar free drinks, crystal light, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles and broth Soups

7 days of sugar free carnation instant Breakfast with 1c of 1% milk 6x a day.

Mine was for 3 weeks, as many protien shakes as I wanted(I had three a day), Protien bars as many as I wanted(i had 3-4 a day) and lots of Water and coffee. I lost 23lbs pre op. Hope this helps.

Mine will be for one week, not to exceed 870 calories per day:

3-4 Protein shakes - low carb high Protein choices are the best - I plan to use a mix of the Premier Protein shakes and some of the whey protein isolate powders I already use to replace one meal several days a week.

Light dinner

No particular restrictions on what that dinner can be, but it's suggested to be well-balanced. Some of the frozen meals like WW, Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine were suggested as possibilities, along with Kashi and Amy's. I should be able to have a dinner that is between 230-380 cals, depending on how many shakes I have and if I add anything into them.

Other than that, the usual calorie-free clear liquids are okay.

Does anyone have any Protein Shakes and such that they recommend? Are there any high Protein Drinks that aren't milky? I just don't tend to like the ones that are milky chocolate or vanilla.< /p>

My dr didn't require pre-op diet but I implemented one on my own. 2 Protein Shakes and one carb free meal per day.

My dr didn't require pre-op diet but I implemented one on my own. 2 Protein shakes and one carb free meal per day.

I forgot to say I lost 15 lbs doing this

My doc has not said anything about shakes, just no carbs for 2 weeks. Is that unusual?

I didn't have a pre-op diet, post surgery I do use Protein Blitz 30gm of protein per 20 oz. Also I use New Whey Protein Shots, they have 42gm of protein per 3.8 oz. Post surgery I would freeze the shots and it went down a lot faster and was easier to get in.

Mine looks like this:

2 WEEKS

800-1000 cal/day

75g protein/day

4-6 shakes/day, 180-250 cal/each/serving & <10g sugars

Drinks: Water, sugar-free bev, broth

Veggies: low-carb/non-starchy, plain, boiled, steamed: salad greens, cooked greens

OK: salad sprays, lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce

NO: potatoes, corn, peas, winter squash, lentils, lima Beans, dried Beans, oil, butter, margarine

I've lost about 11# in the 1st week.