Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm interested in knowing the answer to your question too. I think that will be the absolute hardest thing for me to give up. :(

My nutritionist said caffeine in moderation, whatever that means..I will find out after I have my surgery.

I drink a cup every day as my preworkout shake. I make my coffee, wait for it to cool down a little, add my Protein, glutamine, Calcium and drink it about an hour before my workout. Gives me a nice little pump in the gym.

I started doing this at week 5. There are plenty of members here who drink coffee daily... some upwards of 4-5 cups a day.

I have a cup maybe every other day. For some reason though it really fills me up unlike tea that I can drink all day long. I actually like coffee for its taste and no so much the caffiene so for a dessert treat my hubby and I make Decaf with our french press with some non-fat vanilla Creamer. Nom nom nom coffee :)

My NUT told me that I should plan on avoiding caffeinated coffee for the first 6months to a year. The caffeine can lead to dehydration when you're early out, because it's a diuretic and it's challenging to get enough fluids in to compensate for the Water loss. The caffeine can also be an irritant to your sleeve while it's still trying to heal, and while the swelling is still there. But my NUT said after that, there shouldn't be a problem with incorporating it back in. In the meantime, Decaf will have to do I guess. :angry:

caffeine is not a diuretic.

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1166858/is-caffeine-a-diuretic

i started on a cup a day in week 3 or so. no issues. i drink hot green tea as well.

This is one of those topics that gets asked a few times a month. Do a search up top and you will find all types of answers.

I am two months out and drink coffee everyday. I buy the Starbucks Decaf K cups....tastes wonderful and still no caffeine.

caffeine is not a diuretic.

http://answers.webmd...eine-a-diuretic

i started on a cup a day in week 3 or so. no issues. i drink hot green tea as well.

Did you even read the article? It is from their Q&A section which may or may not be answered by a professional. At the bottom of the post, it states:

This answer should
not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctors visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions

Trust me, you will always be able to validate ANY behavior you want to do by doing an internet search. I'm sure you can find health benefits to smoking crack coccaine in moderation ...

Listen to your doctors until you become an expert yourself.

I was told coffee is ok as long as it doesn't cause you to skip a nutritional meal. I also put in my Protein Drink instead of Creamer so I save on sugars and fat.

I am 6 months post op. Prior to surgery I had at least 2-3cups a day for more than 20 yrs. During the inquiry of the surgery I learned I would have to stop drinking coffee for a little bit. I honestly wondered if I could do it. I didn't WANT to do it. Strange how that bothered me more than losing 80percent of my stomach. As preop approached I gradually decreased to 1cup a day but when I tried to go without the next day I got the terrible headache. I would then have a cup to get the headache to go away. I was in this cycle wondering if I could stop drinking the darn coffee! Then one day the headache came and instead of coffee I had a small piece of chocolate (to give my headache a tiny bit of caffeine). It worked. Only did that twice and I was off coffee! Immediately postop my MIND wanted coffee, my body did not. I would smell it and miss it a bit. At the 3 month mark my family celebrated my return to coffee with me. It was sooo wonderful. But here's the thing, it did dehydrate me a bit. I work so hard to get fluids in and for every cup of coffee I have I need an additional cup of Fluid. Some may say it doesnt dehydrate but i feel it in my body that it does, for me. This once addicted to coffee girl has 1-2 cups a week. It just isnt worth it. AND when I do drink it its a real treat! Good luck everyone. Its a wonderful journey. Treasure it. I wish I treasured months 2-5 more. That is really the time to super charge your weight loss.

I guess I will have to start weening off the coffee as the surgery date gets near. It going to be rough. :(

I know...it's a tough one! I've started brewing my coffee using half "high test octane", and half Decaf. But I haven't made the switch over to ALL decaf grounds yet of course. *gulp* :wacko: