Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My psych eval today....

So I'm just back from my psych eval & I'm so interested in knowing WHY they needed me to draw a clock & show the time 11:10 on it? Also had to draw a 3-D box & connect the numbers 1-2-3, etc, to the letters A-B-C. Really???? How is this going to help my weight loss or prove if I'm ready? I had to fill out a long questionnaire too which seemed to have the same questions over & over, just worded differently. I don't know, there must actually be a logical reason for this but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Also, the psych rattled off a bunch of letters & each time I heard the letter "A," I had to knock on the table.

What your psych eval like this?

sounds insane!

We all went thru the same test. Took about an hour. Supposed to tell by you answers if you are mentally ill. My your reaction I know you are not.

sounds insane!

My thoughts exactly! LOL!

My test wasn't like that at all. I did have a fairly long form to fill out and a lot of the questions were basically the same (agree, disagree etc). I had a conversation with the Dr. and that was about it. Never saw her report, never saw the results, she sent me the bill (ins didn't pay).

We all went thru the same test. Took about an hour. Supposed to tell by you answers if you are mentally ill. My your reaction I know you are not.

So in other words, if I thought the tests were normal, I'd be considered mentally ill? :P

My psych eval. consisted of:

1. - a general personality test - 200 questons, multiple choice - it was like taking my S.A.T. tests again!

2: a 100 question test dealing specifically with health/doctor/hospital issues (are you afraid to question your doctor, do hospitals make you nervous, etc.)

3: a half-hour meeting with the psychologist.

My test wasn't like that at all. I did have a fairly long form to fill out and a lot of the questions were basically the same (agree, disagree etc). I had a conversation with the Dr. and that was about it. Never saw her report, never saw the results, she sent me the bill (ins didn't pay).

Yes, I had to fill out a 5 page questionnaire AFTER she asked me about 100 questions. Stupid me disclosed a horrible traumatic event that happened to me back about 30 years ago (nearly abducted by a convicted murderer who murdered 9 people total before & after he tried to abduct me) & she said I should seek counseling for that (after my surgery). Thankfully she didn't hold that against me but I don't need counseling for that. I lived thru it, I'm good but I am always extremely aware of my surroundings. That's not a bad thing in today's world! I have a food addiction problem, not an issue that happened to me in a parking lot 30 years ago.

OH! She also told me that those who don't drink before surgery (I can't remember the last time I even had a sip of wine), may start drinking after surgery???!!!! Holy Crap! I wonder if that's true?? I personally don't think I will since I'm a fairly strong person but what I thing to find out???

My psych eval. consisted of:

1. - a general personality test - 200 questons, multiple choice - it was like taking my S.A.T. tests again!

2: a 100 question test dealing specifically with health/doctor/hospital issues (are you afraid to question your doctor, do hospitals make you nervous, etc.)

3: a half-hour meeting with the psychologist.

Okay, so seems like each psych eval is done a little differently then? I wish I had noticed how many questions there were, but I didn't pay attention. As I was leaving the only thing I could think of was whoever thought of the test they gave me should be evaluated!

hehehe...maybe because I have depression that I just had to talk to my psych doctor for 5 minutes for her to determine the meds are doing their job and I'm not suicidal . might have become suicidal if I had to answer hundreds of questions :P:D:P:blink:

hehehe...maybe because I have depression that I just had to talk to my psych doctor for 5 minutes for her to determine the meds are doing their job and I'm not suicidal . might have become suicidal if I had to answer hundreds of questions :P:D:P:blink:

Well, you were pretty lucky then! ;)

I had mine today too. Sounds similar to yours and others. I had 375 questions that were T/F dealing with mental illness etc. he did say I scored slightly elevated in depression and anxiety (I know I'm being treated by my PCP) but interestingly enough he told me in his experience those in that situation tend to do much better following surgery, because they tend to be more motivated. I was like.....ooooo K. I had the 168ish medical related questions. He was telling me that its compared to others who have had bariatric surgery and based on the way they answered and your answers gives an idea on how you will do during recovery, weight loss, maintenance, and overall listening to the advice of your surgeon and NUT. he did recommend the use of counseling because of my depression but did not mandate it. Said I was a prime candidate and gave me the green light. I do have to meet with him one more time, my surgeon has you go early on in case there is something he needs you to work on and again within 3 months of surgery.

I had mine today too. Sounds similar to yours and others. I had 375 questions that were T/F dealing with mental illness etc. he did say I scored slightly elevated in depression and anxiety (I know I'm being treated by my PCP) but interestingly enough he told me in his experience those in that situation tend to do much better following surgery, because they tend to be more motivated. I was like.....ooooo K. I had the 168ish medical related questions. He was telling me that its compared to others who have had bariatric surgery and based on the way they answered and your answers gives an idea on how you will do during recovery, weight loss, maintenance, and overall listening to the advice of your surgeon and NUT. he did recommend the use of counseling because of my depression but did not mandate it. Said I was a prime candidate and gave me the green light. I do have to meet with him one more time, my surgeon has you go early on in case there is something he needs you to work on and again within 3 months of surgery.

Glad to hear you got the green light! Thankfully I did too, even tho I must have had a very sarcastic look on my face when they asked me to draw the 3-D box that was pictured on the "test sheet" as well as the clock & the route I had to take from 1-2-3-4 thru A-B-C-D ??!! Told my husband about it & he said "that's crazy??!!" Yep, I thought so too! Then he muttered something about that's why insurance is outrageous because this psych eval prob cost a fortune...for me to draw a clock. Oh well, it's behind me now! Congrats to us both!

Had mine this past week. 30 min chat with the psychologist followed by a couple true/false tests that took about an hour. It is interesting reading the different hoops everyone has to jump through and how each evaluation varies by insurance.

Mine was pretty straightforward: a brief questionnaire and then about 40 minutes of talking. Pixie, I didn't have to draw anything :)

I got the green light.