Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to get my protein?

OH dang it, I meant to rename this.. I guess I dont really know what to name it anyway,,,

I'm 2 weeks post op.. up until a week post op I was doing fine, getting 64 oz fluids, including Premier Protein drinks. Everything was going fine. And then a little after a week, I had some blended cream of chicken Soup (not fat free, forgot) and it gave me the worst pain in my chest and I was unable to get in any fluids for 12 hours.. I went to the ER and they said something about my pancreas being elevated (levels, whatever) and that I can't eat fat right now, or it will happen again. they also told me to check my blood sugars for hypoglycemia and to drink full sugar drinks instead of sugar free and low sugar.

They gave me some numbing antacid stuff and sent me on my way. Since then, I have not been able to drink my Protein Drink without having the same issue. I think they are too heavy. But for some reason, I can eat half a fudgesicle just fine. I'm not able to get in all my fluids and I'm really disaapointed about this because I get Migraines when I don't, along with the obvious.

so far today I've had 12 oz gatorade and 12 oz watered down full sugar Vitamin Water.. both with a little bit of unflavored Protein powder added.. I then took a nap and drank about 2 oz of a chocolate protein drink and I feel that god awful pressure all up in my ribs. feels like someone punched me in my diaphram, and I walk around hunched over or sitting but leaning waaaaay back. I will not drink a protein drink again. Now I'm in pain and can't get the other 2 bottles of drink with Protein Powder like I was hoping to. I KNOW i'm not getting enough protein, and every day I'mg etting more and more behind on my fluids..

please tell me what to do. My mood is getting lower and lower every day. Monday I'm calling my pcp for an anti depressant. Praying I don't get a Migraine. I might email my surgeon.. I can't contact anyone in the us really, because I had a mx surgery. I feel kindof like I'm grasping straws...

I wake up feeling like crap, FINALLY get over that hump and drink a tiny amt of protein drink and feel like crap again. It's hard to stay upbeat. I can't STAND protein powder mixed in Water, and Im pretty sure milk is just too much for tummy right now. I might try my nectar samples, but I'm REALLY not in the mood for sweet fruity drinks.. I'm so over sweets and I'm only 2 weeks in. I need some more hearty flavors.. even my Calcium chew and Iron cherry tablets repulse me. :(

please no bashing. I'm feeling really vulnerable right now.. (sad that I should even have to say that) I finally felt good yesterday, had 1.5T yogurt, and about 20 minutes later I went for a walk w/ my 6 year old around the block because I'd told her i would.. felt HORRIBLE when I got back. and every time thi shappens it hurts for about 6-12 hours.. why? Is my sleeve just THAT tiny? I guess I'm full Clear liquids for another week.

also- I keep reading about people who were sleeved around the same time as me that are eating tuna etc.. I feel like I'll never be able to eat that stuff when I can't even tolerate a protein drink... why do I feel like this sleeve has been so much harder on me than others.. was I too blinded by the successful posts and happy people wanting to get sleeved to see that htis is WORK.. it's PAINFUL. it's NOT FUN. :(

also- full sugar drinks, really? I mean I have to- I was way too weak otherwise, but I feel like my weightloss will be super slow now..

I realize I'm being a little dramatic.. I'm having a hard time seeing outside my little depression bubble atm.

THAT HAPPENED TO ME, I COULDNT EAT OR DRINK FOR A FEW DAYS. EVEN A SIP OF Water WAS PAINFUL, I HAD A Protein Shake WITH PB AND banana I THINK IT WAS THE BANANA THAT DID IT, BUT NOW I CAN EAT PB AND BANANA SO AT THIS EARLY STAGE BECAREFUL AND IF YOU TRY SOMETHING NEW TRY A SMALL AMOUNT OF IT AND WAIT TO SEE HOW YOUR NEW TUMMY WILL REACT.

oh dear, I am sorry you are struggling. The first month is sooo hard. I can relate to what you are saying on many levels. Let me reassure you-- you will feel better. YOU WILL!

I was the same way-- could NOT tolerate Protein drinks. So I didn't drink them. I realize I didn't get 65 grams a Protein a day for more than a month, and I lived. Made goal, didn't lose all my hair, and I am so happy now. But I felt your worry and despair..... it gets better!

What i did was-- focused on liquids 1st, and I did Greek yogurt, Soups blended, cottage cheese mashed up really well, really mashed up egg salad, re fried Beans.... in tiny amounts. 2 tsp max-- broken up in to like 12 bites every 2-3 hours of one of these. And one day will you notice you eat your two bites and then you will feel like 2 1/2 bites! And you will get stronger, and you will see the weight loss-- and hopefully you will feel like it has all been worth it. That's how I made it. Now I am 19 months out- almost 20 months and I am maintaining my goal for ONCE IN MY LIFE-- and can enjoy life as a normal sized person (size 10!)-- and enjoy (for example one medium-large slice of pizza and a beer on a Friday night with my fiance) I think once you are healed and start to see the new you it will be so happy! Hang in there it is hard for a least a month. Hugs to you!

oh dear' date=' I am sorry you are struggling. The first month is sooo hard. I can relate to what you are saying on many levels. Let me reassure you-- you will feel better. YOU WILL!

I was the same way-- could NOT tolerate Protein drinks. So I didn't drink them. I realize I didn't get 65 grams a Protein a day for more than a month, and I lived. Made goal, didn't lose all my hair, and I am so happy now. But I felt your worry and despair..... it gets better!

What i did was-- focused on liquids 1st, and I did Greek yogurt, Soups blended, cottage cheese mashed up really well, really mashed up egg salad, re fried Beans.... in tiny amounts. 2 tsp max-- broken up in to like 12 bites every 2-3 hours of one of these. And one day will you notice you eat your two bites and then you will feel like 2 1/2 bites! And you will get stronger, and you will see the weight loss-- and hopefully you will feel like it has all been worth it. That's how I made it. Now I am 19 months out- almost 20 months and I am maintaining my goal for ONCE IN MY LIFE-- and can enjoy life as a normal sized person (size 10!)-- and enjoy (for example one medium-large slice of pizza and a beer on a Friday night with my fiance) I think once you are healed and start to see the new you it will be so happy! Hang in there it is hard for a least a month. Hugs to you![/quote']

That is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you!! So encouraging! I never thought to break it up into several bites a day, great tip. And thank you for reminding me I won't die from protein deficiency. I mean look at vegans!! Although I realized its a real thing.

Did you wait 30 minutes before and after your tiny bites to drink?

That is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you!! So encouraging! I never thought to break it up into several bites a day, great tip. And thank you for reminding me I won't die from Protein deficiency. I mean look at vegans!! Although I realized its a real thing.

Did you wait 30 minutes before and after your tiny bites to drink?

yes I did for the first 4-6 months. There just was not room for both. It isn't as important now. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted!!

have you tried really thinning out your Protein and maybe making a Protein fudgsicle? Even if it's not the amount of protein you need, it might be better than trying to dump a whole lot of protein in your system at once.

The first month sucks and there's no getting around it, I felt the same way. When you're uncomfortable and frustrated about how hard even the simplest stuff is, it's really hard to feel like you made the right choice. I promise that feeling will start going away.

I know everyone told you how it's supposed to go, but it's really important to do what's best for you, if it means you don't get all the protein in w/in 2 weeks of surgery, it's ok. Best of luck!

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/life-after-gastric-bypass/one-month-after-gastric-bypass-buyers-remorse/

This really helped me to feel more normal as well. :). Wish all those considering surgery would read this. If they are at all like me though, their eyes would gloss over because they've got a pie in the sky idea of what this will be like.

Seriously, I think the only negative thought I had, aside from the big complications, were well 300 calories sure isnt much. Oh well, at least I won't be hungry. I DO feel hunger. Maybe it's acid, yes I'm on a ppi, but since it feels EXACTLY like starvation, I'll call it hunger.

Also, I feel like I was a more "popular" poster before I had sirgery. Now that I need support, I wonder where everyone went. :(

sorry my info didnt help

sorry my info didnt help

Actually it did, I'm sorry I don't say anything. Didnt I "like" your reply? Anything anyone says in my "time of need" is helpful to me. I appreciate your help. (Hug)

Oops, I liked it now. "/

:) i love to help

I don't have any information beyond what others have told you. They are great ideas. I just wanted to tell you I promise it gets better! I'm 6 weeks out and last week something clicked and I could drink more and get my Protein in. Just keep telling yourself this is temporary and will get better. Hang in there!

I was sleeved on 2/25/13 (33.6 lbs down) and I still do not get 60-70 oz of liquids in. I've tried 5 different Protein drinks and after I drink an ounce or 2 I am so full and bloated that I feel sick and I can't drink or even eat ice chips for hours. Then I end up getting dehydrated so I quit the Protein Drinks. I have been adding unflavored Greek yogurt to my food. I mix up 4 tbsp refried Beans, add a bit of cheese (about a teaspoon) and then add a tbsp of yogurt to the Beans. Then I heat a bit at a time and eat on it slowly.

I mixed unflavored Greek yogurt into oatmeal, I drink skim milk, I know potatoes are carbs but mix some yogurt and skim milk into mashed potatoes and eat slowly.

Buy flavored greek yogurt and thin with milk. I made chicken salad too, I used canned chicken in Water and put it in my food processor to shred really fine, I then added a couple of boiled eggs and shredded them too. I mixed it together with the unflavored Greek yogurt and made it kind of runny. I haven't made tuna salad yet, but will make it the same way.

I made beef stew for my family and I mashed a carrot & a potato chunk in a bit of the gravy and ate that.

I haven't made this yet, but a friend did and she raved about it.

Baked ricotta

8oz ricotta

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1t. Italian seasoning

1lg egg

Salt and pepper

1/2 cup marinara sauce (I used 1/2 cup sun dried Tomato alfrado sauce

1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese

Mix ricotta cheese,parmesan cheese, beaten egg, and seasonings together. Place in oven dish pour sauce over top then top with mozzarella cheese. Bake 450 for 20-25 min. 6 servings 88 cal. 4 fat. 3.3 carbs and 9.2 Protein

Here is another recipe (I haven't tried it yet)

Lemon Ricotta Creme

Take one 15 oz. container of part skim ricotta cheese, add the zest of one lemon, juice of half the lemon, 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 4 packets of splenda - puree until smooth

I hope you feel better soon.

Also' date=' I feel like I was a more "popular" poster before I had surgery. Now that I need support, I wonder where everyone went. :([/quote']

Aww. Amy you are still pretty popular in my book!

Sorry it's been rough going for you.:(

You sound like your tummy is extra small and not happy yet. I'm sure your still swollen and is making it difficult to eat much.. I think the other poster said something like just taking it really slow and perhaps "watering" down your Protein drink? Perhaps put it on ice and slowly drink.

My Nurse and NUT told me when feeling weak or dizzy to dilute 100% juice. That way it is not just full sugar IMO.

No, you are not alone. Today was the first day that I could tolerate my Protein at all. NUT said it was the fat content in my Atkins that bothered me. I have spent money on unjury, used in skim milk and that bothered me as well. So glad that I ordered the Premiere, because that is all I can do besides Isopure.

Used milk in my creamed Soups but must be careful how much I add, as well.

I pray things turn around for you!