Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ghrelin...do we get it back?

I know that the portion of our stomachs that produces the hormone ghrelin is removed, but I am wondering- do our bodies balance this out ever? Does it come back?

My concern: Aside from hunger, apparently ghrelin plays a role in protecting the brain from stress induced depression, which at 1.7 years out. I now have :( From Wikipedia: "

Stress-induced depression

The hormone might help defend against symptoms of stress-induced depression and anxiety.[39] To test whether ghrelin could regulate depressive symptoms brought on by chronic stress, the researchers subjected mice to daily bouts of social stress, using a standard laboratory technique that induces stress by exposing normal mice to very aggressive “bully” mice. Such animals have been shown to be good models for studying depression in humans. The researchers stressed both wild-type mice and altered mice that were unable to respond to ghrelin. They found that, after experiencing stress, both types of mice had significantly elevated levels of ghrelin that persisted at least four weeks after their last defeat encounter. The altered mice, however, displayed significantly greater social avoidance than their wild-type counterparts, indicating an exacerbation of depression-like symptoms. They also ate less than the wild-type mice.[40]"

My life is amazing yet I find it hard to not stress about every little thing. I am wondering if at some point, ghrelin returns or balances and hopefully this is temporary. I feel I've been getting more and more depressed since surgery.

I have no idea what the answer is & I'm new to reading all about the Sleeve, but if you're feeling depressed since your surgery, maybe you should seek out a support group & if that doesn't seem to help, maybe an appt with a psychologist. Don't just continue on feeling more depressed as time passes.

Possibly someone at a support group can tell you if it's normal & a short time frame this happens or maybe just talking it out with people who have gone thru the same thing can help you.

Please, take care of yourself!

This hormone is also produced in other parts of our bodies. You will have plenty. :)

one surgeon told me that the research hasn't really revealed exactly how WLS--including VSG--affecs ghrelin production and how...like most things about metabolism, hunger and weight loss/gain, there are so many unproven theories out there

This hormone is also produced in other parts of our bodies. You will have plenty. :)

That is good to know, and what I though as well- I have been on a decline with depression and anxiety virtually since surgery. Perhaps false expectations, turning 30 (hormonal changes- I don't mind being 30), and factors in my subconscious are at play more so. I have spoken to a psychologist a couple times, and started Wellbutrin (an anti depressant) a week ago. It's a relief to knowI'm not likely void of a hormone that was aiding the body in dealing with anxiety- but realistically, if it did, this occurrence would be more common I suppose!

That is good to know, and what I though as well- I have been on a decline with depression and anxiety virtually since surgery. Perhaps false expectations, turning 30 (hormonal changes- I don't mind being 30), and factors in my subconscious are at play more so. I have spoken to a psychologist a couple times, and started Wellbutrin (an anti depressant) a week ago. It's a relief to knowI'm not likely void of a hormone that was aiding the body in dealing with anxiety- but realistically, if it did, this occurrence would be more common I suppose!

I too suffer from depression mainly coming from being assaulted at work by a patient, and then not being able to go back to my job that I loved so much. I know I do feel so much better now from losing the weight, and if anything the surgery has helped me come out better. Wellbutrin may help with your depression, however sometimes it takes many attempts at finding the right one for you. I am currently on Effexor which is a combo anti depressant that works on not only serotonin but dopamine as well. One of its side effects is weight loss, so that helps as well with my getting to goal. There are a lot of SSRIS that cause weight gain, so be careful to discuss those side effects with your psych dr. Good luck!

Im a professional in the field however im a 7 months out Vg patient I love it!!! Emotional Wellness is a complicated thing no cookie cut.. wht work for others might not working for another...obesity can call depression also.... i believe increase excerise. , life coaches or natrapath doctor can help.

Www.behavioralwellnessandbirtharts.com is an excellent resources... online coaching and skpe

I have been more even-keeled in moods that ever. My husband and I are dealing with a really stressful situation in that he is an air traffic controller and may be losing his job soon. In feel like I am dealing with it like a champ.

I hope you find your happy place. :)

Thanks you guys (or mostly gals!) :) I am feeling stable. I am learning that my balance issues are possibly a vestibular Migraine issue, which anxiety can only make more prominent. I am over a couple weeks into my Wellbutrin (Bupropion) use for depression and anxiety related vertigo, and I am starting to feel more and more like "me".

It's easy to self diagnose a bunch of possible medical problems when you are adjusting to a new body and having symptoms of depression, it has turned me into quite a hypochondriac! It's quite warming to hear the encouragement of others, and know that I am not alone in feeling a bit anti-climactic after surgery.

You are definitely not alone. Don't be afraid to "talk" things out with a support group or on here. I'm 3 weeks out and my depression has gone up and down several times since then. I'm hoping it levels out the more my body gets use to this new situation. Hang tough, it will get better.

Sometimes hunger is real hunger. It's not all in my head.

Ghrelin is produced Mostly by the fundus of the stomach. It is also produced in the pancreas, hypothalamus, kidney and the pituitary gland. (Wikipedia)

"Some studies have found an increase in ghrelin, some have found a decrease, and others have found no change in ghrelin following bariatric surgery". From Changes in ghrelin levels following bariatric surgery: Reviiew of the literature" Tymitz, et al, Obesity Surgery, 2011, January 21(1), 125-130.

Can't we just keep hacking away until all of the Grehlin is gone?? Lol. I want to be hunger free darn it! Go ahead, take a little pancreas here and a little kidney there. I am not going to miss 'em. :)