Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ease my mind? Can I tear open my new pouch?

I just got home after getting sleeved on Tuesday (3/12). I was given discharge info that addressed what I can eat, and how to care for my incisions, etc. What I'm primarily concerned about is somehow ripping my pouch open. I talked to my nurse and she said just not to use my core, hold a pillow when I cough, things like that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rip open your pouch doing day-to-day activities? I'm afraid to sleep in bed because I worry if I roll around too much something might happen. I'm also afraid to bend over, sit down and stand up...

Can anyone offer any advice?

I just got home after getting sleeved on Tuesday (3/12). I was given discharge info that addressed what I can eat' date=' and how to care for my incisions, etc. What I'm primarily concerned about is somehow ripping my pouch open. I talked to my nurse and she said just not to use my core, hold a pillow when I cough, things like that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rip open your pouch doing day-to-day activities? I'm afraid to sleep in bed because I worry if I roll around too much something might happen. I'm also afraid to bend over, sit down and stand up...

Can anyone offer any advice?[/quote']

What pouch r talkin about may I ask so I can answer

Yes. Remember the scene from Alien? It will happen just like that. True story.

My new little stomach pouch.

O ok well I dont think u can ripped it out lol... just relax.nd.ut will get much better

What pouch r talkin about may I ask so I can answer

Just to clarify, I think the reason WifeyMaterial worded her question this way is because VSG patients don't have a "pouch". That is terminology that is used for Gastric Bypass patients, primarily.

A pouch is when a smaller portion of stomach is formed from the existing stomach and the existing stomach is left in the body. A "pouch" or smaller pocket-sized stomach is created, but no stomach organ is surgically removed from the body.

VSG patients actually have approx. 80% (+/- 5%) of their stomach surgically removed. There is no "pouch". The stomach is reshaped into a long narrow shape (like a banana) and then stapled and resewn.

While you CAN damage your stomach (especially in the early post-op days), it would take considerable force and generally speaking, that force would usually come from INSIDE the stomach, by overeating which strains the staples and/or sutures. A leak is life-threatening and any symptoms such unexplained consistent fever greater than 100.5 degrees farenheight, pain: left upper torso shoulder/back, left ribcage, tachycardia (fast heart rate) also increased abdominal pain, shortness of breath, sweating, chills, general malaise could be indications of leak. Make sure you are investigated immediately if you have any of these symptoms (especially if you have more than 1 concurrently).

In terms of lifting objects, bending, etc. It is important that you give your abdominal wall time to heal and not strain your abdominal muscles. Even though you most likely had a laparoscopic procedure (you don't specify), you still had incisions (as many as 8 or 9!) through the muscle layers of your abdominal wall that are now trying to heal. There are absorbable sutures in there keeping things together, but excess bending, straining and lifting will tax those sutures and they could burst, causing problems.

So take it easy! Don't lift anything (your surgeon will have given you guidelines for weight and how long you have to be careful). Coughing should be fine (especially if stabilized by a pillow), unless you have very serious prolonged coughing. Most precautions you've been given are more aimed at preventing pain and increasing the speed of your healing time. If you follow your instructions, there is VERY little chance you can damage your new stomach or abdominal wall!

Just keep moving (walk as much as you can) and sipping (in small sips, but throughout the day). You'll feel a bit better every day and in a couple of weeks you'll be in great shape!

It is possible to rupture your suture line but it is not easy to do. If you follow the guidelines your dr gave you you should be ok. My instruction when I was discharge were to not lift anything over 20 punds for at least 2 weeks. I personally slept sitting up in a chair for the first 3 weeks not necessary that I was afraid of rupture but because it hurt to lay down and because sitting up helps get the excess gas out quicker. I don't think it is likely to rupture from sneezing or coughing, plus these things while they can be very painful at that stage are almost impossible to avoid. Good Luck.

Yes. Remember the scene from Alien? It will happen just like that. True story.

i agree with webchickadee's comments and richard... but this one quote above made me giggle. :)

hang in there, it gets easier (and less scary) with time.

I agree nd I was sleeved to I was just wonderful she was callin.it a pounch cuz we call it sleeve most of the time. N when she mentioned pouch I was thinkin of the drain I had for 7 days after surgery thats y I asked what pouch. But u will n ok I also slept sittin up r didnt sleep at all. But I did alot activities to heal faster...

I hate when people are sarcastic to an honest question... TECHNICALLY your stomach isn't a pouch... I don't think it is easy to rip open... I slept in bed (on my stomach after day 3) rolled around picked up my 3 year old (day 5... dont reccomend this...) and I am fine!

Thanks for easing my mind a little bit. I apologize that I was totally wrong referring to my "pouch" which was incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for easing my mind a little bit. I apologize that I was totally wrong referring to my "pouch" which was incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries! We're all here to learn, and if we can share information that helps clarify, that's part of the community effort to get everyone as informed and educated as possible!

I don't think anyone was trying to be sarcastic or make you feel bad for using the wrong terminology. We were trying to understand your question and answer it as accurately as possible!

The important thing is that you are feeling less anxious and more confident (it's scary in the first few weeks post-op!). Feel free to post questions here. There is a great community of supportive, educated people here that are happy to help.

And if you get a few responses that seem less than helpful or maybe even "snarky", just take it in stride. Communication by email and posting can be fraught with misinterpretation and unintended hurt feelings. I'm pretty sure most of the time, people are posting/responding with good intentions.

If you can stomach it, check out youtube for videos of a VSG surgery. You'll see the staple cartridge that they use to create the sleeve. Those suckers are not coming out.

My surgeon's team uses the terms sleeve & pouch all the time to mean the same thing. Don't apologize. Some people just have to be "right" all the time. Glad you're a little more at ease.