Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes are nasty to me - help!

I had my surgery March 6; I had to take 3 bags of IV yesterday at my dr's office due to dehydration...I'm not having trouble drinking Water...I just hate it & haven't been drinking enough...

I desperately need help with the Protein...I can't stomach the shakes....they taste so nasty to me...what is an alternative? Please help! I don't want to lose my hair

have you tried Unjury chicken broth flavor? i ordered it online and it tastes just like chichen broth. i also got the unflavored Protein Powder to add to Soups. hope you have better luck with getting in Proteins and your Water. i drink SF crystal light... 6 cups of it and 3-6 of plain water.

I have tried about all of them. The only one I can tolerate that has 30 grams Protein (which makes it worth it) is Premier chocolate pre-made shakes from Sam's Club.

What about shakeology?

I can definitely appreciate your dilemma and wish I had an answer for you. I too hate Protein shakes - and believe me I tried several brands and hated them all. I even tried to make my own and hated those too. I worried about being dehydrated as well, but luckily I didn't have to go to hospital to get Fluid. I am somewhat surprised that if you are drinking the Water that you still suffered from dehydration. I'm also not a Water drinker (before or after surgery). However, I knew I had to get some type of Fluid in me so I tried different alternatives e.g. juice, gatorade, vitawater etc. The products loaded in sugar e.g. >15 grams I couldn't do, upset my stomach. If you can drink the water, drink as much as you can. I was able to tolerate hot tea, so I that too was another alternative. I never did develop a taste for Protein drinks or water and eventually when I was able to eat pureed food, I tried to eat things that were high in Protein e.g. eggs. I guess in short I just kept trying to experiment with different things, keeping focus on low sugar, high protein. I won't say I did a lot of sugar free drinks or ones with sugar substitutes - didn't like these either. I had to do what I could with the thought of not allowing myself to become dehydrated. Eventually I was able to eat/drink enough to accomplish that goal. Now I get most it not all my protein in from eating foods high in protein, mostly meat and particularly seafood. Recently I have even tried to some of the smaller Protein Shakes e.g. EAS and Ensure. I still don't like them, but my sleeve does so I try to tolerate them as best I can. If I can get little doses in that to me is better than nothing.

Keep trying you will eventually find your niche.

Is Muscle Milk something you can drink yet? If so, maybe you can try that? I have heard that lots of people seem to like the Premier shakes & they are also sold at costco. Wishing you the best!

On the Premier shakes...I tried the vanilla and they were not good. I ended up tossing them, but chocolate is tolerable for 30 grams of Protein. I drink one every morning to get a good start on my protein. They are also so convenient because you don't have to mess with powder or mixer bottles. They have a plastic screw lid that is easy to open so they are very portable.

smoothie King has a high protein/low carb powder called Gladiator that I really love.

On the Premier shakes...I tried the vanilla and they were not good. I ended up tossing them' date=' but chocolate is tolerable for 30 grams of Protein. I drink one every morning to get a good start on my Protein. They are also so convenient because you don't have to mess with powder or mixer bottles. They have a plastic screw lid that is easy to open so they are very portable.[/quote']

I agree that the chocolate is better, but I liked the vanilla fine, as well.

Have you tried Unjury, or FRUTENIA (in healthfood stores/fruit flavored)?

I had my surgery March 6; I had to take 3 bags of IV yesterday at my dr's office due to dehydration...I'm not having trouble drinking Water...I just hate it & haven't been drinking enough...

I desperately need help with the Protein...I can't stomach the shakes....they taste so nasty to me...what is an alternative? Please help! I don't want to lose my hair

I was gagging on the Protein Shakes too..then I found the Ensure High Protein Shakes. 25 g Protein and approx 200 calories. They taste much better to me.

I had surgery back in September, and I could not do them either so the best suggestion that I was ever given was to buy the Protein powder and instead of making the shakes add it to your food, for example when you make tuna or chicken salad add a 1.2 scoop and you end up doubling up on the protein without having to take in the extra sugar or calories. Also on the Water the best thing my dr ever told me was drink your water at room temperature. It makes it much easier to get down and stay down.

With regard to Water, if you really can't stand the plain stuff, even filtered, then try it at different temperatures - you may find that you like it better warm or at room temperature rather than cold. If that doesn't work, flavor it.

If you like citrus then a little slice of lemon, lime or orange may go a long way to helping you out. You might find a slice of cucumber also offers enough of a flavor change to assist. If you tolerate artificial sweeteners, Mio, Crystal Light and Dasani all offer flavors for your Water.

Depending on what your doctor allows, try herbal or caffeine-free tea. It doesn't all have to be plain water. sugar-free popcicles count as water. Ultimately, it's about getting liquids in so that you are well hydrated.

I start three soft meals tomorrow and not a second too soon. I can't stand the thought of another sweet Protein Shake even though I am getting 55-60 grams of Protein from them. My issue is how will the 70-90 grams I am getting daily without Protein Shakes?