Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lying about Weight Loss Surgery !

I can't believe this post is still going. All this controversy and I'm not involved. I can't have that, I must get my two cents in.

Just yesterday the news was blasting all day about it being partly cloudy here. And there is just no way that is true. It was most certainly partly sunny. Nuff said.

I can't believe this post is still going. All this controversy and I'm not involved. I can't have that, I must get my two cents in.

Just yesterday the news was blasting all day about it being partly cloudy here. And there is just no way that is true. It was most certainly partly sunny. Nuff said.

I agree, Recycled, but we have that Florida state of mind. These yanks are all frozed up. :D

Good lord! Who unearthed this?! Needs to be re buried! :D

Edited by newat52

I admire you for being able to tell the truth. I have not had the courage to tell anyone except a few people. In all honesty, I am ashamed that I had to resort to surgery to beat obesity. It is something I am working to overcome. Don't be too harsh on those of us who have chosen to keep it a secret. It really isn't anyone else's business, and WLS is a very personal decision. I tell people I am eating a lot of Protein and exercising. That's not a lie, unless you consider it a lie by omission.

-Kendra

I can totally understand your point of view. But don't you think that your opinion is based on societies racism towards obese people. You should be proud of yourself like I am. We ALL SHOULD BE PROUD!! WE LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND SAID NO MORE!! Having the surgery isn't a quick fix! It's just a wonderful assistant! If you do the work! My doctor told me from the start surgery is only a third. The rest is exercise and eatting. On 10/23/2013 I was 325 pounds. I am currently 258 pounds. In addition, I have witness someone not do all three things and not see the success I have. I guess I hope from hearing my story you should feel proud about yours. I am so proud that i had wls. I am able to look at my future and have kids. My sleeve's name is La Fortuna (the future). And THAT'S WHAT WE GAVE OURSELVES!! A JOYOUS AND HUMBLING FUTURE

I believe it's an individual decision...personally no one has asked me how I got fat! When they ask how I lost I don't lie, I tell them I eat high Protein, low sugar and workout and changed some bad habits...not a lie.

I totally get not wanting to tell anyone up front. I am the opposite, because it am just so damn excited. What I don't get is when someone asks how you're losing weight, that you don't tell them. Yes, we're eating less, blah blah blah, BUT the reason we are is because of surgery. Could we all eat less and lose weight before surgery? Sure. But we all obviously needed this drastic step to be able to actually do this for forever. It's a tool, but it's a MAJOR tool in our ability to change our life/diet for forever. :) But really, you do what you want. We're all different. :)

Edited by Sarahjane79

I've lost almost 50 pounds and I honestly have to say, not one person has asked me HOW. Some people are starting to comment on it but no one is being intrusive. Not to say that someone won't be, at some point...

I keep thinking with skinny people I'll just tell them I changed my habits. With obese people I'll hand them my surgeon's card. No seriously. I don't want to tell people because I'm a private person and I would tell coworkers or acquaintances if I had a hysterectomy or something.

But if there is someone who could truly be helped and I can help them by giving them the idea and showing it can be done, that would be great. Problem is people gossip and talk and I just don't need people talking about me at work behind my back or watching what I eat and making comments about it.

Their are people who think that having this surgery is easy..I don't think so!....eventhough I have noT had this surgery yet I read the time and patience that a lot of you guys put in for this....If someone thinks its easy to just lose weight with this surgery that its an eazy way out then tell them to look at Penny on my 600lb life..she didn't change her habits and she is still fat and then tell them to look at Zsyalynn...Henry and Melissa just to name a few....I pray that I have a successful surgery and weightloss experience, a better social life..find a great guy and experience more happiness in my life...GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS TO ALL

Edited by lynn2win

To each his/her own on this...I haven't told a soul and I won't...it is a personal decision...and anyone's opinion about it (good or bad) really doesn't matter to me...I don't live my life for other people....for people who shout their WLS from the rooftops - that is your personal decision. I don't have an opinion about your decision for you.

Agree to disagree on this one, people... peace!

Urgh

Edited by Dani.o.dani

Hello everybody,

I've only told a few people I'm closer to at work. I work with some back stabbing people who would only use it against me. It's nobody's business about my personal life. Coming from the midwest, I used to be alot more open to people. I learned the hard way--sometimes it's best if you just keep to yourself and keep your nose to the grindstone.

The co-workers I have told have been very supportive. The ones I haven't told--I don't trust them enough to tell them.

Interesting as I was just having a conversation that I'm going to stop telling people that's I'm going to gave surgery.. The responses have been , why are you doing that? My brother said just push away from the table. Very hurtful!!! It's a very personal decision and I thought everyone would be happy for me.. I found it opposite with some family and friends.. So in the end it's m health and life.

Kandy12,

I think people who have not struggled with obesity have no clue just how difficult it is. For goodness sake If I could just "push away from the table" for fracks sake--I wouldn't have had 80% of my stomach cut out!!!!!!!!

That's EXACTLY why I'm VERY selective about who I give personal information to. I haven't even told my brothers. They're a few thousand miles away so I don't have to worry about seeing them in person. I just know they're not as supportive--so I didn't tell them. The other reason is when I told them I was joining the Army--the comment I got was "you'll be back in a few weeks." They didn't support that decision so I sure as heck aren't going to tell them about this one. I spent 7 years in the Army by the way and was honorably discharged.