Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine, Sugar, and Carbs

Since I begin researching weight loss surgery, one of the number one thing's I have seen is post op caffeine, sugar, and carbs are a big no no. My question is why other than it's good weight loss technique. Carbs I can understand a lot of them, I'm told; I won't be able to handle any more. But is caffeine and sugar just for the diet, or is there an explanation regarding our new stomachs, for those as well?

I really am working on not eating sugars because sugar is what has contributed to my past weight gain and diabetes. Sugar is addictive and you can eat a lot of foods really easy that are sugary. those foods are sliders. I choose to avoid sugars as much as possible and eat a wholesome diet focusing around Proteins and veggies. I eat or drink anything with caffeine in them now either. i don't miss it either. My plan is to eat healthy and balanced, like the Paleo diet. I even choose to eat foods that are organic without pesticides and antibiotics put in them. Healthy only for me.... I really love this. A side note, I am not perfect and will occassionally eat something that is not organic when eating at friends houses and restaurants. :) I love my new life style..... :)

Well, Caffeine is an appetite stimulant. People who consume large amounts of caffeine tend to consume more calories throughout the day than someone who does not. Sugar on the other hand is simply calorie dense and void of nutrition, and with as little food as we can eat the priority will always be taking in nutrient rich foods. That being said, I still drink loose leaf teas that are not decaffeinated, and I have sugar in small amounts as a treat on occasion. But I'm not the caffeine and sugar addict I was before the surgery.

Most of those things are a huge no no immediately post op for the first 6 weeks while your healing. After about 6 weeks I can have what I want in moderation if I can tolerate it. Carbs typically expand and could, over time, cause the stomach to stretch. Also, early on bread will inflate and cause vomitting. Its more a safety issue in the beginning. Then after that you don't really crave it and things taste differently too. Its hard to explain. Many of my sleever friends who have had it for a while still have caffine and they can have sugar in moderation, but most try to stick with the Protein first, veggie, then carb.

I drink Decaf tea when I'm at home - but when I'm out and about I go by McDonald's and get unsweet tea which is not decaf.

As far as carbs being a no-no, it's impossible to avoid all carbs. I was actually told you should be eating 60-80 grams of Protein and about twice as many carbs, and to keep the fat down to under 5 grams a serving of anything that has fat. That works out to between 720-960 calories from Protein and carbs. Generally, everyone should keep their fat down to less than 30% of total calories.

That all makes sense then. Keep away from I guess dense carbs? Because they expand and thereby will expand your stomach. And in the beginning while your stomach is healing, it could become dangerous. Sugar, is addictive, high in calories, it will keep you wanting more. Caffeine, is a stimulant that keeps you from feeling full.

Did I get that right? If you have more info, I would love to hear it. Thank you for all the comments so far.