Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm three months out now, so I figured it's time to share my surgery experience. I'm not going to go too far into detail here, just a general experience.

I had mine at Almater Hospital with Dr. Aceves. I went alone, and there were two other patients the same day who were very wonderful and supportive. Anyway, I was the last to go the day of the surgery. I waited in my room and took an ativan(?) pill I was given. I dozed a bit, and woke when a nurse reminded me to take off everything but the patient gown, so I did that.

Next, I have vague memories of having a mask put on my face (after the procedure, I think), being asked if I was in pain and telling them I was nauseated. I had a very dry mouth. I was asked to move my hips. I did that once, then I was asked again. I was not in pain.

Next thing I remember, I was being awoken in my room by another patient who'd had her surgery earlier in the day and she'd been nice enough to take it on herself to help me get up and start walking.

I didn't experience any real pain. Getting my wisdom teeth out was worse. I made sure to walk at most any opportunity and I followed advice I'd read by people here to sip the fluids they provided while I walked. The only thing that hurt a bit was the drain while it was still in, and I was walking, but I was very sure to call them whenever I felt pain, and they did respond quite quickly. Additionally, the first day or so I was very quick to call them at the slightest hint of nausea (I can't stand nausea) but I realized also that the medicine making my mouth suddenly feel dry was the anti-nausea med, and I didn't need it soon. By the third day when I left the hospital, I felt basically normal.

After the hospital, I was most attentive about keeping my navel clean, because to me, that seemed the likeliest place for an infection to happen. The wounds are like little red marks on my stomach-- not bad at all. I don't think anyone but someone who's had surgery would guess what they're really from.

I had gastric reflux before the surgery, so I've been attentive about taking Pantoprazole afterward. I wish I'd bought a few months more, since I just ran out recently. I took it twice a day, not just once.

I have never thrown up. I was worried about gall bladder issues, and asked for a prescription for a medication to use to prevent that, but I haven't had to use it. Occasionally, lately, I get the tiniest bit nauseated when I eat, but I think I'm eating too fast. Early on, when I drank too fast, my stomach would give this weird, unpleasant feeling like it was flipping or something, but that's gone away. I was very careful to stick to dietary guidelines, though I couldn't get enough calories on full liquids so I began to stall and broke that by starting mushes (ground up chili, etc.) several days early.

My weight loss is not nearly as fast lately (I stalled for several weeks), but it's happening. I haven't really exercised, but I've begun the last week or two, and it's so much easier after having reduced my weight by thirty pounds (and my breast size, especially!)

The only complaint I'd have about this whole experience is not about the hospital experience itself, but about the hotel we stayed in the night before. They originally placed me in a room right next to the street where the locks were busted, and the noise overwhelming. I was traveling alone, so that was not something I wanted to stay in. I requested a room change, and got moved to a much better room away from the noisy street. Additionally, I asked for a wakeup call. It didn't happen. I woke up when the other patients were getting ready to leave! Bring an alarm clock!

Otherwise, so far at least, this has been a pretty amazing experience. I couldn't ask for something much smoother than this, especially for a major surgery. I see why Aceves has such a great reputation.

Oh, and I just want to add one more thing: I have never vomited or been sick since the surgery. The one time I had any reaction was in the hospital right after the sleeve, when I drank apple juice too fast and had to spit out a sudden amount of saliva-- I think there's a word people use around here for that. (Is it foamies?)

Otherwise, it's been pretty smooth going.

Thanks for sharing your post-op experience. I am scheduled March 26 and counting the days. I live alone and concerned how I will be getting around post-op. Can you share your experience?

I live alone, too. I was perfectly fine taking a flight then a taxi back home after surgery. I stocked my house with Isopure and other Clear Liquids beforehand, so I had them all available afterwards. I don't know when your surgeon will release you, but I really did find after the three days in the hospital that I was very mobile. I would definitely take a week off work, though, just so you can sleep whenever your body demands it. I did sleep alot the first couple weeks, and I think that helped with the healing.