Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So depressed....denied

I don't know where to start....I've been fighting this battle for so long and in just ready to give up....I was denied today.....I have the right to appeal but who has the energy....revision to the sleeve is not in my future....I just want to cry and sleep....

You should appeal. Some insurance companies deny the first time, no matter what circumstances. You owe it to yourself to find the energy to try and appeal. Remember...the squeeky wheel gets the grease. You deserve this. :)

Good luck!

I just signed up here because I'm just starting the process, but wanted to say how very sorry I am. I just know how very disappointed I would be too if I get denied. I don't think I will since I've already been checking into to & called the insurance company myself. Do you know why you were rejected? Maybe it's a simple thing that can be straightened out?

In any case, I wish you the best. Please don't give up if this is something you really want.

If you really want this procedure, then you need to fight for it. Do whatever it takes to get approval. Appeal it, if they say your BMI is too low, then gain a 1lb or 2. Do what you have to do. Did the lap band give you any stomach problems, if so, tell them about it....elaborate on it.....do you have diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea, bad knees? Do what you have to do......:)

Many of us were denied here. I don't know an exact percentage of those who were covered by insurance, but I'm guessing the number might suprise you. Those who were denied either appealed or even after appealing, chose the self-pay route.

I was self-pay and have easily offset the costs of my surgery by the savings in medical expenses and food. There are options in Mexico for around $5K and I had mine done in the US for just over $10K.

It can be done.

Why were you denied if I might ask?

I was denied because I was a hippy in the 60's for 2 years, clean ever since. My angry surgeon sent off a fax immediately and got me approved quickly. Insurance companies worship the word no.

I know this journey seems impossible but we have to sometimes fight the inevitable for our goals and dreams. Don't give up the fight if you want to win the war!

When I found out my policy wouldn't cover WLS I decided to hike it to Mexico. Great experience. No regrets!

Sorry you were denied. It's a terrible feeling . I went through it last fall. Ultimately I've decided to go to Mexico. I'm flying out Sunday. Good luck to you. .

Sorry you were denied. It's a terrible feeling . I went through it last fall. Ultimately I've decided to go to Mexico. I'm flying out Sunday. Good luck to you. .

Good for you! What doctor in Mexico are you using?

VSG, I know the feeling. When I realized it would be a battle royale to get my insurance to approve me, I started to consider self pay and decided on Mexico. It took me four months to decide that and make an appointment but I feel really good about it. I'm getting sleeved on the 28th with Dr. Garcia in Tijuana.

Don't give up!!!

Don't give up!!! If this is what you truly want, FIGHT FOR IT! I wish you all the best! Don't let this stop you on your journey! :)

I agree that if you really want this then FIGHT! You've already gone thru so much! Just muster up enough energy and appeal it! I have heard a lot of insurance companies (United Healthcare for one) automatically denies everyone on the first attempt. (I don't have United Healthcare myself, but the psychologist doing my pysch eval said she's seen patients with that insurance have a harder time.) A lot of the insurance companies are hoping you'll give up, but unless you were denied because WLS is not a covered benefit under your plan then you owe it to yourself to appeal! Good luck to you! I can only imagine how frustrated you are!

Not sure what your insurance is or the reason for the denial, but I would definitely appeal. You have gone so far to reach where you are and the insurance may automatically deny one each first attempt.

Good for you! What doctor in Mexico are you using?

I'm going with Dr. Fernando Garcia