Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell people?

Thanks to everyone for the input. Your responses are very much appreciated. I think I'm leaning toward the hiatal hernia as I have researched a bit and those dietary restrictions do mimic those that we need to follow.

U guys were all super helpful. Thanks again. :0)

I'm saying I am having a hiatal hernia repair and using the healing time to jump start a liquid diet with my doctor--IF anyone has the nerve to ask. Post-op hernia repair looks about the same anyway--liquids and soft foods for a month or so. It shouldn't be too strange. I don't eat out with anyone except one friend infrequently so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure people will talk when the weight falls off but big deal. By that time I will be healed and not as worried about negativity.

Ur post helped me make up my mind about my "story" (lol). Thanks a bunch

If you're ever ready to tell people, most of us do end up having that repair. I'm not really big on lying but its really no one's business and if you have to tell a minor fib to keep someone from probing, then that's your decision.

I have been telling people at work that I am goIng to be off (employees) or having abdominal surgery (supervisor). Most have left it at that. I'm a private person, especially at work, so it has not been an issue.

My immediate family knows.

For me personally, I decided to be open and honest with everyone from the start. I didn't mention anything about my surgery until everything was approved by my insurance company. I didn't feel the need to hide what I was doing. I came right out with it, and EVERYONE has been so supportive. I decided to even write a weight loss blog about my journey as a way to document my personal journey with friends and family. It was also a way for me to release and let go of some personal demons and struggles that I had held onto because of my weight. I started this in hopes that someone out there who is going through the same journey as me would be able to relate and for it to be a place of inspiration and motivation for someone who is thinking of doing this. This journey is not just a physical transformation, but it is a mental, emotional, AND spiritual transformation. Why NOT use it as an opportunity to do something empowering with it?! :)

Because not everyone has supportive people around them or wants to share? Why is that so hard for some to understand?

Because not everyone has supportive people around them or wants to share? Why is that so hard for some to understand?

Because many of those people do have loving supportive and nonjudgmental people around them. Lucky for them but for some of us that's not the case. It may be hard for those guys to get where some of us are coming from...

I am telling my family and people that I care about but I am not telling my inlaws. They will have negative stuff to say for sure. They have never been a pound overweight in their lives and if they don't approve to h e double hockey sticks with them. This is my life and I am taking it back!

Who I've told:

My husband, my parents, my father in law and his wife, my brother and sister in law, and three good friends whom I trust to be supportive of my decisions will also give me honest opinions and food for thought.

I haven't told my three sisters yet, or my mother in law or my husband's brother. They will probably be told when I'm closer to my actual surgery. It isn't some big secret from them and I expect that all of them will be pretty supportive at some level, but I haven't had any reason to discuss it with them yet.

My sisters' husbands will likely think it's a bad idea. One will likely try to talk me out of it, the other will express his opinion and may lecture because he lost a bunch of weight without surgery and had managed to keep it off, but he'll ultimately respect my decision. Both of them will act that way because they care about me, so I will accept it, but that doesn't mean I need to voluntarily prolong the experience by telling then too soon!

I don't plan to tell people outside of my family and close friends. If I'm asked, I'll stick to the facts of reduced portion, high Protein diet and more exercise. It's no one's business how I'm reducing my portions, and I won't be lying in any fashion.

I may eventually feel differently about telling people, however, right now this is something I'm pretty emotional about and I'd rather keep it private because not everyone will understand.

I need an interrogation and opinions from every Tom, d**k and Harry like I need a hole in the head.

Thanks for all ur input. U guys are great.

I may eventually feel differently about telling people' date=' however, right now this is something I'm pretty emotional about and I'd rather keep it private because not everyone will understand.

I need an interrogation and opinions from every Tom, d**k and Harry like I need a hole in the head.

Thanks for all ur input. U guys are great.[/quote']

Omg. They censored that second name. Lol. It's a name, people! Lol

I understand. I work in an office with 6 other women. I told them I was having surgery for female issues because I know how katty they are and have heard them talking negatively about someone else who had weight loss surgery, so I don't even want to get their opinions. I have told them they I started going to a nutritionist to try and lose weight, so I figure when I start losing big time they won't question it as much. My parents know, but none of my friends know at this point. I am going to tell them this weekend. My surgery is Tuesday 3/19. Good luck to you!

I understand. I work in an office with 6 other women. I told them I was having surgery for female issues because I know how katty they are and have heard them talking negatively about someone else who had weight loss surgery' date=' so I don't even want to get their opinions. I have told them they I started going to a nutritionist to try and lose weight, so I figure when I start losing big time they won't question it as much. My parents know, but none of my friends know at this point. I am going to tell them this weekend. My surgery is Tuesday 3/19. Good luck to you![/quote']

Good luck to u as well.

You have the right too tell or not tell. I was honest with the people who know me best. My family, boss and closet friends all knew. Now that my weight loss is very obvious, I've had casual acquaintances ask what I did. I told one person the whole truth and the rest I just said I was doing high Protein, low carb. Which is true. A couple of people asked because they thought I might be sick, lol.

Go with your gut on what to do. But keep in mind that people who see you every day are going to notice the pre and post op liquid diet, the tiny portions and probably your struggle to drink large quantities of Water. They'll probably figure out you had some kind of weight loss surgery. And they may wonder why you didn't feel like you could tell them. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I am having a hiatal hernia repair and have decided only to tell my husband, kids (16 & 21) and my mom and step dad about the WLS. I have a lot of negative family members who won't understand and I will need to concentrate on me and taking care of myself and not worrying about what anyone has to say about me. Make your own decision as you are the only one that knows your situation and your reason for not telling everyone. After researching the hiatal hernia repair, there are restrictions for a few weeks so that could be your start. Good luck!