Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid of regain

I am almost 9 months and down a total of 100 lbs (87since surgery). I have noticed recently that I am able to eat a little more than I was able to. I am so scared of gaining my weight back... I think. Do I drink my Water too fast, did I eat a little too much that time? Did I get all my Protein in? And I am stressing myself out...

Has anyone else felt like this? What was everyone else eating 9 months out?

Yep, I understand that fear! I think it's "normal" (or maybe I'm just weird... um no comments on that one ok? lol). And I'm not the 'typical' sleeve at 9 months out so I'm leaving that last question unanswered (no offense! see my signature ... I was a leak gone horribly wrong).

Yep' date=' I understand that fear! I think it's "normal" (or maybe I'm just weird... um no comments on that one ok? lol). And I'm not the 'typical' sleeve at 9 months out so I'm leaving that last question unanswered (no offense! see my signature ... I was a, leak gone horribly wrong).[/quote']

Just a small thing - the Android app for VST doesn't show the signatures :P

I'm sitting here on three weeks worried that I'm able to hold more in my stomach than I should. I feel like I may be just worrying for nothing but that fear is still there.

I'm sitting here on three weeks worried that I'm able to hold more in my stomach than I should. I feel like I may be just worrying for nothing but that fear is still there.

OMG!! That's me totally! I am almost 4 weeks out and I worry all the time. I worry that I eat too much, I worry that it's not working, I worry about not losing. It's in my head ALL the time.

OMG!! That's me totally! I am almost 4 weeks out and I worry all the time. I worry that I eat too much' date=' I worry that it's not working, I worry about not losing. It's in my head ALL the time.[/quote']

Well at least we aren't alone!!! LOL!

I'm about 4 months out, have a really long way to go, but it's what is on my mind, too. I have restriction, but not nearly as much as some people report. I can tolerate any and all types of foods. On one hand I'm happy about that, but on the other, it worries me because so many people report a lessing restriction at 9 months to a year, like the OP. Don't get me wrong, I still weigh/measure/count everything and I don't overeat, but I can eat a slice of pizza, so I worry about the future. I'm hoping I just healed early, and I will stay this way. I also think the realization that it's a possibility to easily regain might help us to prevent just that.

It's weird with my sleeve it seemed like I could eat more when I first had the surgery . I'm almost 4 months out and can barely eat a couple bites of something and extremely full!

To OP-I share your struggle as a 9 month post op myself. Every day, I swear I talk myself out of eating something extra. Getting quite old.

I just want to go drink a quart of hoodia or something and make the hunger beast go back in the cave. I have noticed my diet including too many Proteins bars. This has helped fuel my hunger be cause they have some processed sugar in them (2g) even though high in Protein and low in fat.

Today, I have given up my Protein Bars and am now going back to dense Protein for Snacks. costco really helps me out with chicken products like meat balls, fingers, patties and sausage. All low fat / low carb chicken. I admit that this is helping me today and I will keep it up a while. I want to keep lean, but also gain muscle without putting on the lbs. The dense protein will help me with this as I won't be consuming any sugar. Nada.

To others-hunger is the real deal after month 6. It is constant and you have go be stronger then it. I am working on it.

Good luck. Let's beat this hunger down. It is no fun to be hungry all the time.

Well I can only speak for me and from my experience, but most long-term sleevers have indeed battled a regain (I'm 2.5 years out) and while the hunger is NEVER (for me) what it was pre-op, it's definitely a battle.

I told myself I would NEVER regain ANY weight, but the truth is most people do. In my 2nd year I gained about 10-12lbs from April-Nov., then added another +5 for the holidays. I'm working it off but it is coming of VERY slow. I've lost -9lbs since Jan 1 of this year and it's already mid-April. So that is how quick it can fly on and how slow it can come off.

I think at some point everyone gets tired of being hypervigalent about their diet and that is when the extra pounds creep in. I originally lost -100lbs and would like to get back there. So sometimes I have to remind myself of how far I've come and that an extra 10-12lbs doesn't make me a WLS failure.

Best advice - when the scale goes up, take care of it immediately, don't wait months or the extra lbs can turn into more.

Oh and it turns out I can speak for one more individual. My husband. He is also sleeved. He was 2 years post op in March this year.

So he only lost about 65-70lbs and he says he would like to lose -15 more but the honest truth is he looks great where he is (he has a low % of body fat and is very muscular.) We both work out (me probably more so than him) but he DOES NOT have to be as vigalent about what he puts in his mouth. He can eat more carbs than I can and is NOT as sensitive to calorie intake (grrr!) haha, really I'm happy for him.

His weight loss quit about 9 months post-op and he has maintained within a +/-6lb range since he was 9 months. So everyone really IS different. ;)

totally agree with M2G.... gotta take care of the small gains promptly. I regained 7-8lbs at the 16 month point... took care of it and I am back down to my low weight at 20 months post-op. My advice is rev your metabolism, move more, burn more cals, and decrease your intake by 100-200 cals a day. Nothing too drastic. It works! I refuse to regain!!

Thank you everyone for your input! It has really helped me!