Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waivering Between VSG and Banding...Any Advice?

First I would like to Thank Everyone that posts to all the forums...I have read so many of the posts received lots of helpful information/tips. All of my preoperative requirements are complete and my Surgery date is tentatively set for March 25, 2013. I am doing my final research and contemplation between the two surgeries this weekend on Monday I need to give my patient navigator a decision whether I am going with Banding or Sleeve. If I had to make the decision this very moment I can tell you I am going with VSG. Any advice on either would be appreciated.

First I would like to Thank Everyone that posts to all the forums...I have read so many of the posts received lots of helpful information/tips. All of my preoperative requirements are complete and my Surgery date is tentatively set for March 25' date=' 2013. I am doing my final research and contemplation between the two surgeries this weekend on Monday I need to give my patient navigator a decision whether I am going with Banding or Sleeve. If I had to make the decision this very moment I can tell you I am going with VSG. Any advice on either would be appreciated.[/quote']

Definitely go with VSG because it will yield faster and more permanent results. I have read over and over about folks who were not successful with the band or have long term complications. VSG tends to statistically not have the long term complications, but it has not been studied in control groups as long as the band. You can also read all about band revision to VSG in a top level forum on this site. Besides I am also biased having achieved so much with VSG where even I have a SIL that failed with her band.

There was no question in my mind which was a better choice for me. The lap band just was something I was not comfortable with...I did not like the idea of relying on a foreign object that needed adjustments, tweaking, removal, replacement, etc.

When I read about the gastric sleeve I immediately started seriously considering weight loss surgery. It is straightforward and it is for life....no ambiguous adjustments or band failure....

I wish you the best with whatever decision you make!

I went through the same thing. I meet people who had the sleeve and the results went what the expected and were going over to the the VGS. That made my decision a little easier. I've lost 50 lbs so far and I had my surgery 3 months ago.

When I started this journey, I thought I wanted the band. I didn't know anything about the sleeve, but I did know I didn't want a bypass. I liked the idea that the band could be adjusted, but I didn't like the idea of having something foreign inside of me.

When I heard about the sleeve, I stopped researching the band. I didn't want something that might fail or might have to be removed. One of the pros that I had thought was for the band was actually a con when I realized that I'd need adjustments and sometimes that would require numerous visits to a doctor's office. I live more than an hour away from my surgeon's office, and I didn't want to have to deal with that.

Go take a look at the band to sleeve topic and I think that may make up your mind for you.... I originally wanted the band bc I didnt want major surgery. I was on lapband talk and met some ladies that made a Facebook support page... all the people on that page are constantly struggling with eati g and weightloss. The member on that page that had the band the longest just had to have hers emptied because it buried itself Into the stomach... anyways its a personal choice for u to make... me being 350 I decided the band wasnt for me... good luck

Thank you everyone for answering my post. After 3 years of slightly looking into the idea of WLS and several intense months of recently researching via seminars, doctor visits, internet, forums, chats, family discussions etc... I have made my decision. I feel the "Sleeve" is the best option for me and my life style. Surgery is Tentatively scheduled for March 25, 2013. Fingers crossed, Hope I am finally on the path to being happy with me

I originally was going to get the band but kept hearing awful things about it! I think you made a good decision with the sleeve! My surgery is March 26th, so I'll be right behind you. Best of luck with everything! :)