Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in left shoulder after I eat.

I'm 7wks post op and I've been experiencing pain in my left shoulder after I eat for over a week now. It hurts when I breath. I don't know if its gas or a muscle. My Dr wants me to have an upper GI done to make sure I don't have a leak. I don't have the symptoms of a leak but she wants to make sure. Has anyone had this problem?

Where in your shoulder? If under your shoulder blades, I might think gall bladder...

No its not under the shoulder blade..its on top close to my neck.

I had this before surgery. It turned out to be reflux. I took nexium for a month and it felt better.

But since it could be anything it's good the doctor is running a upper gi test.

Please let us know how you're doing... You'll be in my thoughts

I had this before surgery. It turned out to be reflux. I took nexium for a month and it felt better.

But since it could be anything it's good the doctor is running a upper gi test.

Please let us know how you're doing... You'll be in my thoughts

Thank u, I'll make an update. I don't think it reflux. The pain starts while I'm eating or it gets worse after I eat.

I'm 7wks post op and I've been experiencing pain in my left shoulder after I eat for over a week now. It hurts when I breath. I don't know if its gas or a muscle. My Dr wants me to have an upper GI done to make sure I don't have a leak. I don't have the symptoms of a leak but she wants to make sure. Has anyone had this problem?

I had the exact same thing, I had to eat slower and take smaller bites, along with taking pantoprazole and carafate for about 4 weeks, it healed right up. I had the hiatel hernia repair as well, so what we think the issue was just inflamation from the surgery. It is actually very common, I had all your same symptoms scared me to death and had test after test and in the end, I just needed to heal a little longer. Talk to your doctor and just ask for those two prescriptions and I guarantee you will start feeling a lot better!! Also, mine started about 6 weeks after surgery, my doctor said that is very common because of irritation and the effects of having surgery.

I had the exact same thing' date=' I had to eat slower and take smaller bites, along with taking pantoprazole and carafate for about 4 weeks, it healed right up. I had the hiatel hernia repair as well, so what we think the issue was just inflamation from the surgery. It is actually very common, I had all your same symptoms scared me to death and had test after test and in the end, I just needed to heal a little longer. Talk to your doctor and just ask for those two prescriptions and I guarantee you will start feeling a lot better!! Also, mine started about 6 weeks after surgery, my doctor said that is very common because of irritation and the effects of having surgery.[/quote']

Thanks, I will talk to my Dr about the meds. I had a revision with hiatel hernia repair. A lot going on..lol. I already have prescription pepcid that I don't take. What is carafate?

HI, I have the same problem as you. I figured if I eat to fast or my stomach is getting full it stars to hurt. If i continue to eat the pains get worse and I get up vomitting and the pain goes away. I only did that twice and that was enough. I take prevacid every day and had hernia repair too.

HI' date=' I have the same problem as you. I figured if I eat to fast or my stomach is getting full it stars to hurt. If i continue to eat the pains get worse and I get up vomitting and the pain goes away. I only did that twice and that was enough. I take prevacid every day and had hernia repair too.[/quote']

My pain is there no matter what. It gets worse when I eat. So it could be many things..who knows

I was told if I experienced unrelenting serious pain to call the surgeon.

You should call so he can help you.

I hope you feel better soon!

I was told if I experienced unrelenting serious pain to call the surgeon.

You should call so he can help you.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, I saw the Dr yesterday. I'm having an upper GI done

My pain is there no matter what. It gets worse when I eat. So it could be many things..who knows

Mine was too, whether I was eating or not it hurt. I couldn't take a breath without ot shooting a pain through my shoulder. If I had a hiccup I thought I was going to pass out it hurt so bad. It got to the point it was just aching all the time eating or not. I finally got those meds I mentioned previously and took alleve and it finally went away.

So today I had a reflexology massage and the pain is gone for now. So I guess it was a knot in my shoulder muscle that needed to be worked out. Lets hope it'll last.

I'm having a pain in my collarbone on my left side when I drink. I'm 9 days post op. I try to take deep breaths but it makes it worse. I feel like it's getting better but then something like this happens! Anyone else going through this?

I have had this same issue for the last week and a half. I have not been taken my protonix faithfully. Had a hiatel hernia repair as well. Will mke sure to take med better before my next MD appt. will discuss with surgeon.