Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disliking foods

I was sleeved on 2/19 and I am still on a liquid diet. I have noticed that I don't have a taste for anything anymore. All liquids that I used to love make me want to vomit now. Sweet juices taste bitter, and broths taste strange. Has this happened to anyone else??

I was sleeved on 2/19 and I am still on a liquid diet. I have noticed that I don't have a taste for anything anymore. All liquids that I used to love make me want to vomit now. Sweet juices taste bitter, and broths taste strange. Has this happened to anyone else??

sounds like you are still suffering from the dreaded anethesia mouth I had that problem when my knee was done. Found out all anesthesiaoligists use a different mix of drugs had no problem with any other surgeries.

I also had this reaction, my mom explained it was due to the anesthesia, I had never heard of this and I am a nurse. It seemed to take about 8 weeks to resolve.

Many of my tastes completely changed after my surgery (July 2011.) Most of the changes are things like now enjoying somewhat spicy/hot food when I did not before. But it sounds as if you are upset that food and drink items no longer appeal to you. Trust me when I say that NOT being able to find appealing things to consume will NOT be a problem for any of us who have been compulsive eaters. A little farther on post surg your tastes will normalize, and regulate themselves.

And I advise sleevers to "feel their way" with items that are supposedly "forbidden" by docs. For instance soft drinks. As long as they are not adding calories (I drink only diet drinks) and your particular body can tolerate the bubbles, then enjoy within reason. ...after you have healed internally.

So, related to your being unable to think of anything to drink that appeals to you, you may want to try thinking a little bit outside the box that the surgeon has built for you to live in, regarding food. I determined through experimentation that caffeinated and carbonated beverages are just fine for me, and help me stay hydrated.

I am completely convinced that SOME of the post-surg nutritional rules that sleevers are routinely given are based on supposition and /or, somebody's arrogant but somewhat pitiful, need to continue to dictate what we eat and drink. After all, since fat is obviously a terrible moral failing, it makes sense that fat people and even formerly fat people DESERVE to be deprived and inconvenienced for their sins. I absolutely believe that some PhD. researcher who is also a sleever will do definitive research one day that proves this phenomenon to be true.

There is already research on fat prejudice which documents that "thin society" treats, or at least tries to treat, fat people as if they are morally and intellectually lacking. I think the unnecessary dietary restrictions post sleeve are a part of this prejudice.

Anybody else have the same thought, experiences?

There is a HUGE change between eating and tastes from the first few weeks to many months out. The two that have shocked me ..and I mean have REALLY shocked me the most, are

1) sweet stuff ....I used to live on these. Now I don't crave them much at all. I can pass by sweets with no feelings of denial or sadness. If I want some, I eat a few bites and am done and do not have any desire to eat more of them.

2) fried things ....I loved fatty foods before. Now I avoid them. When I even think of them I associate them with something gross, greasy, nasty, feeling bad, ......and even more nasty. The few times I've had something fried I have eaten maybe one bite of the crunchy outside, then peeled off the batter and tossed it.

These things are not sad or bad. They are GREAT!!! Amazing. A miracle.

Many of my tastes completely changed after my surgery (July 2011.) Most of the changes are things like now enjoying somewhat spicy/hot food when I did not before. But it sounds as if you are upset that food and drink items no longer appeal to you. Trust me when I say that NOT being able to find appealing things to consume will NOT be a problem for any of us who have been compulsive eaters. A little farther on post surg your tastes will normalize' date=' and regulate themselves.

And I advise sleevers to "feel their way" with items that are supposedly "forbidden" by docs. For instance soft drinks. As long as they are not adding calories (I drink only diet drinks) and your particular body can tolerate the bubbles, then enjoy within reason. ...after you have healed internally.

So, related to your being unable to think of anything to drink that appeals to you, you may want to try thinking a little bit outside the box that the surgeon has built for you to live in, regarding food. I determined through experimentation that caffeinated and carbonated beverages are just fine for me, and help me stay hydrated.

I am completely convinced that SOME of the post-surg nutritional rules that sleevers are routinely given are based on supposition and /or, somebody's arrogant but somewhat pitiful, need to continue to dictate what we eat and drink. After all, since fat is obviously a terrible moral failing, it makes sense that fat people and even formerly fat people DESERVE to be deprived and inconvenienced for their sins. I absolutely believe that some PhD. researcher who is also a sleever will do definitive research one day that proves this phenomenon to be true.

There is already research on fat prejudice which documents that "thin society" treats, or at least tries to treat, fat people as if they are morally and intellectually lacking. I think the unnecessary dietary restrictions post sleeve are a part of this prejudice.

Anybody else have the same thought, experiences?[/quote']

Wow. I absolutely love that you wrote this! I completely agree with you in many ways. I actually told my sister the other day (who is thin) that i find it terrible and belittling that after being overweight since childhood, and an underactive thyroid, i need a surgery to "fix" my obesity but at the same time take everything away from me. Like my regular coffee, diet soda, comfort food etc. Im sorry but just because we're obese we STILL have to be punished in one way or another? My sister is 130lbs lighter than me and please believe me, we eat the same thing and if not she eats more than i do. So because i have the "fat gene" i have to get surgery and have things get taken away and she gets to stay thin and still eat whatever? Thats what bothers me is that almost all of these people who are on this site suffered somehow in their life in someway but are basically going to "suffer" afterwards

Im sorry to burst any bubbles but not all thin people eat like we have to! It absolutey pisses me off that once again obese people are pushed in a corner by society and judged for our weight. Not all big people dont eat alot! It may be in our genes.. you never know!

Same here. Nothing appeals or tastes right. Sweets and fast food doesn't even look close to good anymore. In dying for a salad but have to wait another month or so. I know I'm not getting enough nutrition even though I'm forcing myself to eat and drink.

At 6 months out & down 100#, I still have foods that I used to love but now taste peculiar. Used to LOVE Pepsi but these days, after just a few sips, it tastes "off". My taste buds also seem more sensitive to salt and other strong seasonings. But I've noticed everybody is different in this department. Good luck!

Meant to add that this is a common thing after surgery. It will improve!

Im not getting enough nutrition in now too because of this. I am only 3 weeks out, but I know it will change again. It drives me nuts because I am still on pureed foods and NOTHING tastes good. I did cheat a little yesterday and have 3 McDonalds chicken nuggets for lunch with BBQ that tasted absolutely devine, but nothing else that I've had, even if I used to like it, tastes good.

Wow. I absolutely love that you wrote this! I completely agree with you in many ways. I actually told my sister the other day (who is thin) that i find it terrible and belittling that after being overweight since childhood, and an underactive thyroid, i need a surgery to "fix" my obesity but at the same time take everything away from me. Like my regular coffee, diet soda, comfort food etc. Im sorry but just because we're obese we STILL have to be punished in one way or another? My sister is 130lbs lighter than me and please believe me, we eat the same thing and if not she eats more than i do. So because i have the "fat gene" i have to get surgery and have things get taken away and she gets to stay thin and still eat whatever? Thats what bothers me is that almost all of these people who are on this site suffered somehow in their life in someway but are basically going to "suffer" afterwards

Im sorry to burst any bubbles but not all thin people eat like we have to! It absolutey pisses me off that once again obese people are pushed in a corner by society and judged for our weight. Not all big people dont eat alot! It may be in our genes.. you never know!

Yes, but thin doesn't equal healthy. I had a friend growing up who ate pure junk food and was always super thin (she's tall and has naturally fast metabolism). She always ate more calories than me and ate less healthfully and I was always overweight and she wasn't. Now that we are in our 40s, it is catching up with her. I feel badly for her bc she never learned good eating habits bc when you're young, you only care if your weight is affected. But now even though I am (still) obese, I have normal BP, cholesterol levels, blood sugar, and other markers, and hers are off the charts horrible. She has all of the risk factors for a heart attack or diabetes and I don't. It's kind of crazy. We talk a lot about ways to be healthy and eat better and exercise even though she is probably only 10-15 lbs overweight (for the first time in her life). She is realizing that thin does not equal healthy.

Oh and I don't feel like I am suffering or missing out in any way. It's a trade-off. I'm so happy about getting the VSG!

Clearly and beautifully expressed, layla33. Obesity is the last of the socially sanctioned discrimination.