Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!

Your story sounds so familiar. I was banded 10/2010. I had no problems the first 14 months, but only lost about 45 pounds. Then I began having increased reflux and I would also go from being able to eat nothing and throwing up if I did, to eating an enormous portion of something that I wouldn't have expected to be able to eat. I then gained back about 20 of the pounds that I lost. OUCH! My doctor began to talk to me about a revision to the sleeve. I knew that the band was hurting me, physically and emotionally but to be honest I was scared of another procedure where I would experience failure. It took me over 6 months to decide to have the revision. When the doctor went in I had severe gastritis and esophagitis and pre-ulcerated lesions, as well as the band having come up too high and the presence of a hiatal hernia. I just had surgery this past Wed. 3/20 and what was supposed to be less than two hours was close to 4 hours of surgery for him to clean out all the scar tissue, repair the hernia and do the sleeve. I was in pain and nauseous for the first two days but yesterday and today I am feeling much better. I don't know if this will be the answer for me, but I knew that I had to get that band out even if my insurance didn't approve the band, but fortuantely they did. I feel skeptical but guardedly optimistic that this will be a better procedure for me and I hope that it works well for you too!

Glad to hear you got your surgery DebH! Hope you have a speedy recovery ...thanks for sharing your story :)

I'm currently in mexico after a revision on 3/21. Before I came here my insurance said they would pay for a band removal but not a new surgery. This is when i decided i wanted to just do it I'm Mexico. Everything i researched sounded great for me.

My surgery went well. I was nauseas for two days post op which i was told is common from band patients.

When i mentioned to my surgeon that my insurance would covered the band they said they would give me paperwork to submit to my insurance for reimbursement! Wow! I didn't even know that would be possible from Mexico. I'm going to cross my fingers that i get some money back.

I have no regrets either way.

I've been banded for 9 years and I can't wait until April 1st to get it out! My I have been unfilled for 7 years as my stomach wouldn't tolerate them and my port site always hurts! I am having my revision done in Mexico as my insurance will not cover a revision to the sleeve. I had to refinance my house to pay for it but I think it will be worth every dollar I pay to get rid of this band and have a tool I can actually work with!

I had band removal surgery this past Tuesday and am looking forward to being sleeved sometime in the next 6 months. I have a follow up appointment this Wednesday & will be able to ask my surgeon if there were any complications with the band. I was still pretty groggy when checked in with me in the recovery room. I am very glad to have it out of me - it really feels like I can breath easier. I wish you all the best and easiest of recoveries, I am certain the sleeve will be a much better tool for all of us. If you haven't already checked out other websites I read a really great article today in Obesity Help (obesityhelp.com) about keeping the tool of surgery in proper perspective, titled "Surgery is Forever-ever?"

I'm getting revision in one op in a month! Can't wait. Bands shouldn't be put in anymore. They suck!

Hello, I had the BAND placed 12/2009 and now it's coming OUT May 22nd and they are doing the sleeve at the same time. I think we all get to the place where our desires are overtaken by what is REAL and what MUST be done. blessings everyone, Karen