Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The sleeve and hair loss.

I had my surgery in August of last year. In the last 2 months I've started noticing that my hair is thinning and falling out...a lot of it.

I take 5000mcg of Biotin everyday and sometimes even double that.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did anything help?

I'm desperate!

I'm scheduled to have my surgery on April 2nd so I haven't experienced that yet. But my doctors office recommended that I buy F.A.S.T. Shampoo and/or Garlic shampoo..They said a few patients have told them that it did help with the Hair loss. I just ordered mine to be prepared just in case, I ordered it online at amazon..Don't worry the garlic shampoo doesn't smell like garlic, LOL..Good luck with it.

I had my surgery 9/17 & the hair in the last month is coming out like crazy. Also taking Biotin. I have tons of hair, so I'll just wait it out..it should slow up in the next month or two.

I'll look for the Shampoo, glad to hear I won't smell like garlic!

So it probably is the sleeve. I was wondering if it was just me. I had pretty thick hair but its definitely noticeably thinner. :-(

I'm 3 months out and my hair is coming out like crazy also. I eat at least 80 grams of Protein a day. This really upsets me... Glad I'm not alone and I hope it doesn't last much longer. :-(

The hair loss is a byproduct of the rapid weight loss. Protein and Biotin won't stop or slow it more than a little. My surgeon said its just something you have to accept for a brief while. It will grow back! Hey I'd rather have half my hair for a couple months than not lose the weight :)

Yup after alot of research that's what I've found too. Very common with rapid weight loss. I talked to my hair dresser about it, she suggested Nioxin Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. Won't keep you from losing hair but will speed up regrowth. A year to 18 months post op your body should have a chance to recoup and the Hair loss should cease. Im crossing my fingers. I ordered some Nioxin, I'll let you all know what I think!

I lost a lot of hair after my lap band surgery...now that I am trying to get the sleeve revision I am a little scared of losing more hair!! Anesthesia also sometimes causes Hair loss. I am beginning to use natural oils for hair growth...such as argan oil, almond oil, castor oil, coconut oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil, it seems to be helping. Look it up online there are several different mixtures u can make.

The hair loss is a byproduct of the rapid weight loss. Protein and Biotin won't stop or slow it more than a little. My surgeon said its just something you have to accept for a brief while. It will grow back! Hey I'd rather have half my hair for a couple months than not lose the weight :)

Good point!!

I had surgery in August. My Hair loss has pretty much stopped now. Between months 4 and 6 there was quite a bit. My hairdresser suggest nioxin also for hair regrowth. I am also using Moroccan oil in it to help with dryness. I had a ton of hair so i can tell its definitely thinner, but i still have a lot of hair. Once it started to fall out i broke a promise that i made to myself that i would not cut it. I figured losing short strands would be less traumatizing than losing my long locks ;)

Good luck!

I think it was worth it! 130 pounds for some short term hair loss? Great trade off!! lol

We use a high dose Biotin and must take it daily otherwise hair falls out. Biotin did not

thicken our hair only kept it from falling out. A nutritonist recommended to add Paba

but I only took it for a while and discontinued it because I started a new treatment

regimen for something else and didn't want to take something with it that I new little aboout

but it might be something you can research on your own and see if you might benefit

from it. I also use the Nioxin occasionally in case the DHT is building up lol.

We use a high dose Biotin and must take it daily otherwise hair falls out. Biotin did not

thicken our hair only kept it from falling out. A nutritonist recommended to add Paba

but I only took it for a while and discontinued it because I started a new treatment

regimen for something else and didn't want to take something with it that I new little aboout

but it might be something you can research on your own and see if you might benefit

from it. I also use the Nioxin occasionally in case the DHT is building up lol.

How much is a high doseage? I take 10mg.a day.