Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands eroded, slipped or still successful bands?

How is your band?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is your band?

• Band is fine, no complications so far
    • Band was removed for reasons other than erosion/slip
    • Band slipped but unfill repaired it
    • Band slipped, I was rebanded
    • Band slipped, removed, no new band
    • Band slipped, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • Band eroded, unfill repaired it
    • Band eroded, removed, no new band or other revision
    • Band eroded, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • At 1 year or more my band isn't working, not losing

I'm having an endoscopy done on 8/17, my doctor suspects erosion. I've been having discomfort, not really pain in the upper left abdominal area and back. This has been going on for about 2 months. I should have gone earlier to see the doc, but thought maybe it would go away on it's own. If erosion is found, the band will be removed. If no erosion is found, the doc says it can stay in. The doc did a complete unfill and the discomfort is still there, so I suspect erosion is more than likely the culprit. Along with the discomfort, I also had reflux starting about 2 weeks ago.

I had band 5/05;lost 95lbs;severe reflux before banding;had hiatal hernia repair;relux returned after losing most of my excess wgt;unfilled with no help;very miserable with reflux;endoscopy done;all okay;reflux still bad;had band removed 8/13/07;large slip;did fundal plication procedure for reflux-couldn't get band back on! Very disappointed;woke up hungry!! Scared of wgt regain!!!!

"I think this poll is really flawed. There are a lot of people who have eroded in the past on this board that won't see this poll to respond. Some stick around, but most people who've lost their bands spend much less time here--if any."

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. That being said, can I vote for the 12 "Unbanded Due To Erosion" friends who no longer come here?

This was never meant to be a scientific poll. Wasn't it just a method to collect annecdotal information?

My daughter lives in Sweden and they are doing a lot of lap band surgery. There is a long waiting list for them.

I'm not banded yet, but I'm surprised at the level of anger so many who have "failed" lap bands are displaying? Is it because too many hopes are pinned on the band? I'm assuming from my research that I will still have to diet. The band will just assist in that.

:)

"I think this poll is really flawed. There are a lot of people who have eroded in the past on this board that won't see this poll to respond. Some stick around, but most people who've lost their bands spend much less time here--if any."

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. That being said, can I vote for the 12 "Unbanded Due To Erosion" friends who no longer come here?

I am one of the 12 "Unbanded due to Erosion"

1st time on this site so i dont know how this all worksl hope that i will be able to chat with others. banded 8/07 and am in pain from some port slippage also very depressed

sorry to hear you are having depression and slippage problems..I had to get on antidepressants for awhile following my surg.because i had always turned to food and when the food wasnt there anymore I had to face a lot that had been held inside me for so long..and sorry about the slippage problem... dont know how that happens... have heard of it but it hasnt happened to me.. i would see my dr. and try to get the problems solved or worked on so as to get on with the weight loss ahead of you... if u need to talk about it email me at thedove2@yahoo.com... also you can go up to the top of this page and click on chat and chat live with others.. that helps a lot..vamaillady

Sorry, to hear that Kathy. I hope its not a slip, does that mean you have to get surgery to remove? Sorry you are down, would love to chat to help bring ya back up again...

Aloha,

Miriam

Two questions:

How can you tell of you have "slippage" or if your band has slipped?

How to you know if you want is eroded? Are there signs to look for?

I was banded on 1/4/08 and I don't think I have had any problems, at least I know of. Thanks

I'm not sure how accurate a representation you'd get polling the folks here. You'd have to think that most of those who got them removed wouldn't still be hanging around here, in addition to the disproportionate amount of posters that are newly banded and haven't had as much time with the band. I can't say for sure, but I'd have to think there's more chance of problems at the 3 year mark than the 3 week mark, know what I mean?

Regarding slippage: I was banded Sept 13, 07. Within 13 lbs of goal and dx today with stomach slipped up through the stoma. All Fluid removed --in 2 wks hope to start fluid

My band slipped 6 months after placement. Possibly caused by trauma 2 weeks before symptoms (I fell really hard on a splintered tree trunk which hit me to the right of my sturnum right about band level) Stomach was also prolapsed and twisted. Was deathly ill for 3 days--thought I had the flu. If this happens again, I'll have the band removed permanently!

I am one of those who have had port problems rather than erosion or slippage. I am only 6 months in but at my first fill the port had flipped and had to have surgery to repair it. Then had a fill but two months later have had the fill removed because almost everything I ate got stuck - if only I had known then - I never would have had this band. I still have shocking left shoulder pain - and to top it off my surgeon is the biggest arse that ever lived. In most places in Australia - the lap band is done properly - councelling before - help after etc - unfortunately in my state - this guy is one of two surgeons that perform the surgery - I had a 10 minute consult almost a year before getting the surgery done (had to wait to give birth to my second child) and that was it. When discussing my problems with him - he is so dismissive - "fine - we'll take the fill out - you go off and finish your breastfeeding and do your little family thing and then if you decide you want the band to work for you then come back, but you'll put all the weight you've lost (15 kgs only in 6 months - 33 pounds) back on". He has no answers for the shoulder pain as he says he has only had one other patient with it and that my eosophogas (spelling??) must be spasming but doesn't know why - hopefully the unfill will fix it - no reasons why I was in pain with everything I ate (other than junk food - chocolate, ice cream etc all my problem foods) just said obviously there is some issue but doesn't know what. Was so critical of other weight loss options like Jenny Craig and WW and how bad they were for people because you lost Protein, muscle etc -- I ate so much better on both of those diets than I have EVER BEEN ABLE TO WITH THIS ###**** thing in my stomach. No they didn't work long term for me because I wasn't able to stick to them but with this band in - my breast milk was affected - my son's weight dropped from the 97 percentile down to under the 50th (according to him - it would be no problem at all - still refuses to accept that the lap band caused this), I have been miserable and in pain when eating good food and the only things I am able to get down are the things that I shouldn't be eating. I agree with whoever said that the band is a disaster for junk food eaters. I have never been an overeater - but I love my sweets etc I was having to sit at the table for up to an hour and a half, waiting for food to pass through so I could take another mouthful because I knew I needed the sustenance for my milk. Since the unfill, things have been better but I still find things get stuck and I spend time over the sink regurgitating saliva etc. As my weight has never affected my health (I am still able to play top level basketball) and has really only been out of control since my children were born, I am so angry at myself that I let this be done to me. I am giving it a few more month with no fill to improve - then I am having it out - and I tell you now - I CAN"T WAIT. I am also now so determined to lose weight before going back to him - because the skinny little weasle thinks that the lap band is the ONLY way that anyone with obesity issues can lose weight. WE WILL SEE!!!!!!! Also found it very interesting that he has performed 1800 lap band surgerys - working out the cost with just the out of pocket expense for the patients without the Medicare and health insurance rebates that he gets - over 5 and half million dollars - a money making experience for him - I THINK SO!!!!!!!! Sorry to rave and rant on but as you can probably understand - I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!

I was banded on August 30,2006. To date I have lost 118 pounds. The other night I started to throw up every half hour with pains that I begged to die for. My band had slipped and I needed surgery. The surgeon said the vomiting caused the slippage, but why was I vomiting-I think the band caused th slippage itself. The pain was unreal and I screamed so loud I thought I would get arrested. Home a week and feeling fine. My DH said to have the band removed permanently but I was afraid of gaining weigt back. He removed a 4cc band and put in a 10cc one which I do not understand. Will ask him tomorrow-hope it takes out the staples. This was a nasty surgery.

Be well all.

Fran