Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands eroded, slipped or still successful bands?

How is your band?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is your band?

• Band is fine, no complications so far
    • Band was removed for reasons other than erosion/slip
    • Band slipped but unfill repaired it
    • Band slipped, I was rebanded
    • Band slipped, removed, no new band
    • Band slipped, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • Band eroded, unfill repaired it
    • Band eroded, removed, no new band or other revision
    • Band eroded, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • At 1 year or more my band isn't working, not losing

I am still successful with my band as of this point in time and have had no complications. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

It scares me a little to read through this thread, because I know that all of us start off with the highest of hopes and really none of us every know what might happen in the end. It is still informative in understanding symptoms and the need for appropriate follow-up care. I will definitely get an endoscopy done at my one year bandiversary.

By the way, GERD is a sufficient diagnosis for most insurances to get an endoscopy performed. If you are experiencing any symptoms of reflux you may find it covered even if banding is not.

Can you tell me how long it took for you to get back to normal-eating and drinking? I too had a lot of scar tissue and I was told that that I have esophageal spasms. My band has been out for a week now

Private Dancer

Banded 3/21/08

Removed 8/05/08

I had my band two years ago in July. My band holds 4cc and I have about 2.8cc. I have been successful and lost 70 pounds, slowly. Although this has been a good thing because I really don't have any hanging skin. I have never been unfilled and have rarely vomitted. I figured it took me a life time to put the weight on so I was patient to see it come off............and enjoyed every pound lost and every smaller size I reached. This past year I lost 19 pounds, I am on target but I figured after not getting a fill in a year I decided to give myself a little help to get the last 25 pounds off. I had a little tightness in my chest which eventually past and for the first time something got stuck and I had trouble getting it up. I was uncomfortable for a few days and extremely nervous, and thought the band slipped or eroded, etc. I calmed myself and it got better. I probably should have left the band alone and just tried better at eating less, but I will admit I have relied so much on this band that it has become my best friend.....lol. We have to remember the band is only a tool to HELP us to get the weight off. Don't over fill for the sake of losing the last 20..... losing the band because of an over fill would make us very sad!

Barbara

PS My Doctor & NP are wonderful, and very professional and I highly recommend them.

Obesity Surgery Support Group at Lawrence Hospital, NY, NewYork-Presbyterian affiliate

Dory Ferraro, MS, CS, ANP

Daniel Davis, DO,

post-206996-13813137457589_thumb.jpg

I'm okay for now. No complaints except for sliming and not being able to handle some foods like barbeque.

I'm hovering +/- around 285 lbs. I think if I really worked at it, I could get it going down again. For right now, I'm good.

Good luck to all.

Regards,

Danny

anyone on this thread ever have a leak, or have their band removed because of a leak IN the band? i'm trying to find out what that's all about... i have a leak. :blush:

Hi I have had my band since October 2006. I'm doing very well, no major complication. Had to have a couple of unfills from being to tight. I've lost all my weight. What can I say I LOVE MY BAND!!!

I have been banded since October 2006 with no complication. My band has been a real life saver. I've reached my goal and feel wonderful!!

Originally Banded - March 4, 2005

Where - Melbourne, Australia

Rebanded due to Slippage - November 10, 2006

Hi, I had a slip and was unbanded Sept. 2008

I have gained 60 lbs. I am being rebanded June 19. I was wondering how your second band is doing. thanks, Corliss

I was banded in Feb. I had my third fill yesterday. The surgeon had me get an upper GI because he put quite a bit of fill in on the second trip. He wasn't sure why I wasn't having the restriction. GI came back okay, but he said it looks the same as the day of surgery. He thought that I had a leak. Yesterday he removed all of the Fluid to find that the total amount was still in there. He said that for the particular band i was at capacity. He is somewhat baffled that I don't have the restriction. He said that he will continue to tweek it. I am on fluids for 48 hours. I guess time will tell.

I have been out 1 1/2 years. I love my band. I always wished for something or someone to help me. I found that help. And that is just what the band is help . Nothing is magic by itself. My band has helped me live again . I have lost 87 lbs and still losing. I can breath again. I can walk again without pain. My only wish is that I wish I could have had the band years ago when I was younger. But I have it now and baby I've only just begun...................to live ! woooo hoooo!

This is my FAVORITE post!!! I feel the same way about my band. It has saved my life and only treated me well! We have to take care of it in order for it to take care of us!!

I have only ever briefly visited this part of the forum, mostly before I was banded to read up on issues I might encounter.

I have had my band for almost 3 years, no issues (in fact I never even PB'd for the whole first year), lost over 100lbs the first year and have maintained since then.

Patricia

Hello everyone. I am having my band removed probably next week due to a slip. I talked to my surgeon's medical assistant today, and she told me that there was also a small hiatal hernia that showed up on my last swallow study, and wanted to know if I wanted my surgeon to take care of that while he was doing surgery to remove my band. Have any of you had that problem or surgery for that? Just trying to decide what I want to do about it.

Hello everyone. I am having my band removed probably next week due to a slip. I talked to my surgeon's medical assistant today, and she told me that there was also a small hiatal hernia that showed up on my last swallow study, and wanted to know if I wanted my surgeon to take care of that while he was doing surgery to remove my band. Have any of you had that problem or surgery for that? Just trying to decide what I want to do about it.

There would be no excuse for not repairing the hernia. It isn't going to resolve on its own and better to repair it now than wait to see if it just grows bigger.

Hernias dont get better on their own.

Its also worrying just how many people who have awful band problems ALSO have hernias. Not sure if its a chicken or an egg thing.

My band erroded into my stomach almost 6 years out. Removed in Jan of this year. Go to see doctor this week to determine if and when I can get rebanded.