Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery next Tuesday. I am terrified!! I need some encouragement. I don't think I'm ready.

Well my surgery is next tuesday and I woke up doubting myself as well, but I know I have to do this I can't live like this anymore tired of being fat, no energy, unhealthy, I want to live, date, have girls night out and dress to the nines

My surgery was last Tuesday the 26th. And I feel great. Don't fret it. It will be alright. And, never 2nd guess yourself you are doing the right thing.

You are so doing the right thing .You will feel so much better and your life will be amazing .

Surgery next Tuesday. I am terrified!! I need some encouragement. I don't think I'm ready.

You can do this!!! I don't know your whole story, but if you are anything like me, I tried to do this on my own. I tried everything! I failed over and over. This surgery changed my life. I am succeeding. I don't feel out of control anymore. I don't lie in bed at night beating myself up because of all the poor choices I made. I don't worry or stress over food. I am not controlled by my obsession with food anymore.

Imagine yourself boxing up your fat clothes and giving them away without fear you will need them again. Imagine feeling healthy and in control. You can do this!

There is a thread on here somewhere where people talk about their regrets. The common theme is that so many of us wish we could have done it sooner!

Be courageous! :)

You will do fine before you know it will be all over and you will be happy with your decision!! It's only human nature to be afraid but put your fears in whom ever you give praise to and you will do fine! I am almost 8 weeks out and I will tell you it is not easy at all but I'm glad I did it!!! If I had to I would do it again!!! Good Luck and God Bless :)

So I'm at the hospital getting pre op labs and the nurse says to me. You don't even look like you need the surgery. I asked her how much she thought I weighed and she said 300. Wtf? If a 300 pound woman doesn't need surgery, who does? Btw, I weigh 245. Then she told me about how her sister died after foot surgery. I know this sounds silly, but she had me second guessing my decision. I'm really having cold feet.

So I'm at the hospital getting pre op labs and the nurse says to me. You don't even look like you need the surgery. I asked her how much she thought I weighed and she said 300. Wtf? If a 300 pound woman doesn't need surgery' date=' who does? Btw, I weigh 245. Then she told me about how her sister died after foot surgery. I know this sounds silly, but she had me second guessing my decision. I'm really having cold feet.[/quote']

I'm sorry but she had no right to do that. Obviously you have thought about this. Who is she to offer an unsolicited opinion like that. You have made this decision for your own reasons and need to block all negativity out. Bad enough we all second guess ourselves all by ourselves. Shame on her

We do this for ourselves no one knows the struggle we have had with food. It does not matter what someone says or thinks but yourself. Ask yourself do you think you can loose the weight on your own. If yes can you keep it off. I'm scared too my surgery is the 18th but I know it will go well it won't be a walk in the park but I feel it will work well for me. I'm ready to do the work that's all I can do to be prepared.

I'm sorry but she had no right to do that. Obviously you have thought about this. Who is she to offer an unsolicited opinion like that. You have made this decision for your own reasons and need to block all negativity out. Bad enough we all second guess ourselves all by ourselves. Shame on her

Yeah. She showed me to the business office and waited until I was done there to tell me AGAIN that I shouldn't do it. She had already tried to convince me the whole way there.

We do this for ourselves no one knows the struggle we have had with food. It does not matter what someone says or thinks but yourself. Ask yourself do you think you can loose the weight on your own. If yes can you keep it off. I'm scared too my surgery is the 18th but I know it will go well it won't be a walk in the park but I feel it will work well for me. I'm ready to do the work that's all I can do to be prepared.

I pray all goes well for both of us.

I too will be getting sleeved Tuesday the 12th. And ya know, I was also having doubts. My doubts were mostly in regard to my own ability to make the right choices. It's day 4 of my liquid diet. I am down 11 lbs and I haven't cheated. I am learning about my own strength and will power. If I can be so strong now, I know things will be even better when I have my super tool the vertical sleeve!

Like other posters have said, this is YOUR journey. The path you take is up to you and the choices you make. Don't let the lab lady get in your head. You don't know her relative or their medical/mental history. You don't know when it is she supposedly died or who her surgeon was. Things have changed and drs are much better these days as is aftercare. Bottom line, in that small transaction there was not enough info to make an educated decision about whether its good info to take in. It sounds pretty obvious that the lab lady has different values than you (how do you mistake 55lbs on a person? And since when is 300 lbs not obesity?).

My suggestion is to make a list of all the reasons that brought you to this decision. I'd imagine you have had heartache, struggle, negative self talk, worry about your long term health, maybe even embarrassment due to your weight. Many of us here have. Add all those things up and compare them to a list of the potential benefits. What are you hoping to get out of this surgery long term?

Just one last thing... life itself involves risk. Each day you eat food grown, boxed, and/or prepared by someone else there's risk. You don't know if its been contaminated in any way. Each day you walk, bicycle, or drive there is risk. You don't know if there will be an accident caused by you or sometime else. Each day you enter shared space or handle shared objects with others, even loved ones, there is risk. You don't know what germs you are coming In contract with. And yet, in each of these situations (and many others) you and all of us as humans seem to innately trust (to varying degrees). We are trusting strangers on the road, in the office building, at the farms and food processing plants, etc. with at least part of our health and safety. I'd imagine by now you've met your doc and his/her team. You know them better than many others who impact your life without you even knowing it. Your surgeon is a professional with standards to meet; someone who has done many, many wls procedures (I hope and I'm assuming). So, sure, there are risks but for me those slight risks are with my long term health and wellness, worth it for my personal perception of myself to improve; worth it to be able to be active with my kids; worth it to be able to make love to my husband with out physical (knees) and psychological (self deprication) pain; worth it to finally be in control of food/eating instead of it being in control of me; worth it to be a good example to my loved ones of how to eat and be healthy.

Only you can decide what's right and worth it for you. Good luck!

Yeah. She showed me to the business office and waited until I was done there to tell me AGAIN that I shouldn't do it. She had already tried to convince me the whole way there.

Honestly I would report her. She has no right to say things like that to patients