Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seizures 12 months post op Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I'm having a mental melt down in January out of no where I had a seizure for the first time in my life and I'm 40. Two weeks ago I had another seizure while at home, and I came around to EMT's in my home and the sudden overwhelming feeling of wanting to go to sleep just like the first time. I've been on the generic of Keppra since January after having the first seizure. After having the second seizure I'm now taking Keppra twice a day and I'm going through a bunch of tests and everything has come back normal from bloodwork, MRI's CT's and EEG's. I'm now about to do a 24hr EEG and have an MRA to see what is going on. I've never had a seizure before and I've been looking for information about seizures post op sleeve surgery and I've found things that were over 4yrs old and I'm seeking something that is farily recent at least within the last 3yrs. I've become frustrated with not getting any answers and I'm ready to stop seeing the Neuologist and go and see a psychiatrist because the Neuologist isn't giving me any answers. If there is anyone else out there experiencing this PLEASE I'M BEGGING Please respond to this post because I'm starting to feel like I'm going crazy. :(

I googled siezures after weight loss surgery, and found a link that describes a syndrome that is caused by a shortage of B1. You might want to look into this - how have your blood panels been?

Causes of seizures in weight loss surgery patients

Causes of Wernicke's encephalopathy

Symptoms

Treatment

Read more: Weight Loss Surgery & Seizure Complications | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7218712_weight-loss-surgery-seizure-complications.html#ixzz2MhgfOrUt

THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH going to look up what this is and I'm going to go back to Dr's armed to the teeth with information!

My first thought was that it was a lack of a Vitamin. I started having seizures when I was 29 years old. I was put on meds and told "there is still a lot about the brain we don't know" I still take the meds and we still don't know why I had a seizure. You might never know either. I don't know that I would blame the surgery unless you are low on a vitamin or enzyme- I hope you get some answers soon. I know it is so scary. I have been on the meds 12 years and it's okay now.

yes its very scary because its basically distrupted my life I don't drive as much as I use to or when I do want to drive I have to make sure my daughter is with me. So if I don't feel well I have a driver with me.

I'm having a mental melt down in January out of no where I had a seizure for the first time in my life and I'm 40. Two weeks ago I had another seizure while at home, and I came around to EMT's in my home and the sudden overwhelming feeling of wanting to go to sleep just like the first time. I've been on the generic of Keppra since January after having the first seizure. After having the second seizure I'm now taking Keppra twice a day and I'm going through a bunch of tests and everything has come back normal from bloodwork, MRI's CT's and EEG's. I'm now about to do a 24hr EEG and have an MRA to see what is going on. I've never had a seizure before and I've been looking for information about seizures post op sleeve surgery and I've found things that were over 4yrs old and I'm seeking something that is farily recent at least within the last 3yrs. I've become frustrated with not getting any answers and I'm ready to stop seeing the Neuologist and go and see a psychiatrist because the Neuologist isn't giving me any answers. If there is anyone else out there experiencing this PLEASE I'M BEGGING Please respond to this post because I'm starting to feel like I'm going crazy. :(

Any news or updates on your situation? I ask because I have been told I have a b1 deficiency and its severe enough to warrant b1 injections daily for the next week to ward off any more of my symptoms, such as major chronic fatigue, depression, and just general mild mental issues.

Please find a good clinical team, you need the input of a variety of disciplines to get the best care results. Seizures aren't fun and can be quite dangerous if they occur in the wrong settings or so frequently that you have damage to other organ groups. (Like hitting your head on the way down, or breaking your wrist, I'm told that it can also be caused by ischemic attacks to the brain which is why they ordered all those imaging tests.)

Hope you feel better and get a concrete answer, but sometimes the best answer they can give you is a honest I don't know, not helpful but at least they've leveled with you.

Have things gotten any better?

I have your doctor's partner, Dr. Kaul, as my surgeon.

You look great. I hope your health came back.

Please let us know

Feel better soon! How scary. I would also like to know how your B1 and B Vit levels looks. I also have low B1 (pre-surg), and have only been told to take 100mg/daily by mouth... Huge hugs!

On 3/5/2013 at 3:18 PM, Tinnessa said:

I just experience a seizure myself yesterday what was the results of yours?

yes its very scary because its basically distrupted my life I don't drive as much as I use to or when I do want to drive I have to

In NC if you have a seizure you are mandated to self report. Must go 6 months seizure free to drive, or lisence is revoked, insurance& possible jail. Does your Dr know you're driving? Just be safe, please.

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app