Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dr. Told me to take my daily Meds crushed but my topamax for chronic Migraine is beyond horrible to choke down. Mixed with Jello it made me dry heave my first night home :(. I was sleeved on 2.28, is it too soon to try to half a pill and swallow? Thoughts...thanks!

I would say your body already answered that for you!

Hey Kelly, I am also on Topamax daily for Migraines and I'm not scheduled until May, so this hasn't been as issue for me, so I don't have a solution for you, but, I do know that we can NOT crush or split Topamax! It should say it right on your bottle. I asked my pharmacist about it when I got it because I have a hard time with pills due to my lap band and he pointed it out to me on my RX bottle!!! :-/ I've just been taking that one pill whole. Maybe call your surgeon and let him know you're on a med that can't be crushed or cut and see what he says!! I'll definitely have to bring it up with mine too!! Let me know what you find out if you don't mind?! It'll be coming up for me soon too!!

My dr gave me capsule type pills for acid reflux and I was supposed to empty it into food but it was nasty so i swallowed the capsules and i was fine...no issues at all (this was like 5 days after my surgery). I also swallowed my painkillers whole 3 days post op and was fine..those were regular pills that i was told to crush also.

I have to crush my med's. I asked my dr for how long and he said that our tummies can not handle pills until after the 3rd week.

Maybe ask for a liquid version.

Good luck

Hey Kelly' date=' I am also on Topamax daily for Migraines and I'm not scheduled until May, so this hasn't been as issue for me, so I don't have a solution for you, but, I do know that we can NOT crush or split Topamax! It should say it right on your bottle. I asked my pharmacist about it when I got it because I have a hard time with pills due to my lap band and he pointed it out to me on my RX bottle!!! :-/ I've just been taking that one pill whole. Maybe call your surgeon and let him know you're on a med that can't be crushed or cut and see what he says!! I'll definitely have to bring it up with mine too!! Let me know what you find out if you don't mind?! It'll be coming up for me soon too!![/quote']

I will keep u posted. I'm aware of the no crush rule but my bAriatric dr said it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm awaiting a call from my neurologist today. Thx for the support

Not sure how big your pill is but my Dr. said pills up to the size of an M&M were ok. I take my PPI capsule whole every day since coming home from the hospital without problem.

Not sure how big your pill is but my Dr. said pills up to the size of an M&M were ok. I take my PPI capsule whole every day since coming home from the hospital without problem.

My doctor said the same thing... No bigger then a M&M :)

It's almost like the post op diet it seems. All surgeons have different requirements. I was taking dilaudid pills in the hospital. My surgeons requirements is nothing bigger then a tylonal. I can see why. Get an air bubble and ouch!! Can't imagine what a stuck pill would feel like...

I will keep u posted. I'm aware of the no crush rule but my bAriatric dr said it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm awaiting a call from my neurologist today. Thx for the support

I found out topamax comes in sprinkle caps. Very small amt of pudding w the sprinkles thought the day and takes away from the nasty taste.

I found out topamax comes in sprinkle caps. Very small amt of pudding w the sprinkles thought the day and takes away from the nasty taste.

Really good to know!!! Thank you so much for the follow up Kelly!! It'll be really nice to have that info and get my script switched over ahead of time! :)

Congratulations! That's the best news!! I really think that since my Migraines are hormonal (though frequent), that once I can take some weight off it might really help! Nice to have the insight of someone who's been there!! :)

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to point something out to consider. I take topamax as well just recently. I was sleeved 12/19/12. I am working up to 100mg daily. Currenlt on 75 mg at night which is three tiny 25 mg pills. Next week I titrate up to the larger but still smalls an m&m 100mg pill. I have reached the 3mos mark of my surgeon on crushing all meds. He now requires me to crush meds larger than an aspirin /or m&m. So I will be okay but the med instructions did say not to break or crush.BUT my topamax is not the extended release which is a bigger deal when it is crushed or chewed. I would be very concerned if you are speaking of crushing or chewing topamax extended release. Also just FYI my neurologist also confirmed it was okay to crush to regular topamax non extended release. Good luck to you all. Hope this helps.