Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision surgery time/weight loss goals

Hi all, Im scheduled for revision on 3/13/13. Met with surgeon to sign consents last week. I currently weigh 256 and although I don't know what to set as an exact goal weight, I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-150. The Dr gave me this sheet of paper with my starting weight and a weight of 183.5 as a weight that I will "probably" end up at. I would think that he would expect me to lose more than that. I sure do. Not so sure I want to go through all of this and only lose that much. I know that the ultimate amount that I lose will be up to me.. guess I just needed to vent a bit..lol

In the other part of my question is for those of you who have had lapband removal and VSG (in one procedure). How long were you in surgery? My doc was telling me between 4-5 hours. How many days did you spend in the hospital?

The probably end up at part is what to focus on. My doctor put it to me like this...I'll probably get down really low around 125, after 5 years statistics say that I'll average out and gain some weight back due to life long habits so I'll end up at 150. I can't answer the second question, sorry.

I spent 1.5 hours in surgery but I had an excellent, very experienced surgeon. I actually met my goal weight in less than 6 months and really can't be ahppier.

i am scheduled for the sleeve on March 12th, i started at 224 and i was told i can expect to get to 175. I thought the same thing .. i don't want to g through this to only get down to 175 i realize it is nearly 50 pounds but it was a disappointment to me... I had to remind myself that i was doing this mostly for the health issues and any weight loss is a benefit. I can't see if i keep doing what i should do why i wouldn't take off some more weight.. so i am shooting for 150. I hope i am not fooling myself. Good luck Adoptmom!

My revision was around 2 to 2.5 hours....I was just thankful that it was done in one procedure....my doctor's goal is for me to get under 200 pounds, my personal goal is 170....I believe that 170 is a reasonable goal for me....I am really hoping to reach it!

I am definitely happy to be doing this all in one procedure.! Wondering why he thinks so long for my revision? Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised to find out it didn't take that long after all.

How much did you all lose with lapband? I had right around 50 but am hoping for much more success with sleeve :)

I just want to be a healthy weight and get rid of some of the co-morbidities and get off cpap and many of the meds!!

I am definitely happy to be doing this all in one procedure.! Wondering why he thinks so long for my revision? Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised to find out it didn't take that long after all.

How much did you all lose with lapband? I had right around 50 but am hoping for much more success with sleeve :)

I just want to be a healthy weight and get rid of some of the co-morbidities and get off cpap and many of the meds!!

I lost 40 pounds intially with the band...then gain that plus 20 pounds back over the 8 years I had it in me....

He probably estimating that to be on the conservative side...my doc scheduled for 7am on a Mon because he didnt want to be rushed....he told me about an hour and it turned to be 2 to 2.5 hours, so he's probably telling you that more for him than you....

I would like to make a gentle suggestion to the original poster, you might want to put some serious thought into your attitudes about this surgery. Would you really be disappointed if you lost and maintained a lose of 60+ pounds? Do you think you have influence over this outcome - the whether you get to the 180s versus the 150s? Is there a reason you need to pick a goal right now?

The reason your doc gave you that number is because there are "averages" reflecting weight loss results and he is just communicating that to you. It is entirely in your control how long to "rock your sleeve" and keep losing. None of it is easy, but the sleeve makes it possible. I say even if you don't get to some artificial number on a scale or BMI chart, losing alot of weight will make your life so much better and you should embrace and Celebrate that.

I have beat the stats according to my surgeons office. He also tells me this year is just as important because now i need to maintain it!

I have put great thought into this surgery. I do think I have a good attitude about the whole process. I have maintained the amount I have lost with lapband and will be very pleased with whatever I can do with the sleeve. I plan to work as hard as I can to achieve a healthy weight for myself.. I don't feel pressured to set an exact weight that I want to be. I was just putting some numbers out there.

My revision was around 2 to 2.5 hours....I was just thankful that it was done in one procedure....my doctor's goal is for me to get under 200 pounds, my personal goal is 170....I believe that 170 is a reasonable goal for me....I am really hoping to reach it!

How far out are you from surgery? Looks like your doing great. Keep up the good work! :)

How far out are you from surgery? Looks like your doing great. Keep up the good work! :)

March 11th I will be 9 months post op....yes I have been doing ok...having a mind/body struggle right now....trying to hard to hit 100 pounds lost and I keep sabotaging myself...praying I can hit it by the 11th!!

AdvancedMom - My revision surgery took 3 hrs I had a realize band placed in 2009 never worked for me. I would recommend the 2 step procedure - first have the band removed then wait until the stomach has a chance to get it's shape back so that the vertical sleeve can be done correctly. At my 10 day follow up my stomach is so mis- shapen it doesn't even look like I had gastric sleeve surgery - it's shape like an hour glass. I can drink 14 oz of liquid in one setting and have stomach pangs. The dr left too much stomach because he eyeballed the amount he took off due to the shape of the stomach. I am not happy about this whole issue I need to lose 100lbs. I go back to dr on the 23rd and will ask him to correct his mess - don't know how that will go over.

March 11th I will be 9 months post op....yes I have been doing ok...having a mind/body struggle right now....trying to hard to hit 100 pounds lost and I keep sabotaging myself...praying I can hit it by the 11th!!

I keep working hard you can do it!! Let me know when you get there!! I can relate to the self sabotaging.. certainly been there in the past

AdvancedMom - My revision surgery took 3 hrs I had a realize band placed in 2009 never worked for me. I would recommend the 2 step procedure - first have the band removed then wait until the stomach has a chance to get it's shape back so that the vertical sleeve can be done correctly. At my 10 day follow up my stomach is so mis- shapen it doesn't even look like I had gastric sleeve surgery - it's shape like an hour glass. I can drink 14 oz of liquid in one setting and have stomach pangs. The dr left too much stomach because he eyeballed the amount he took off due to the shape of the stomach. I am not happy about this whole issue I need to lose 100lbs. I go back to dr on the 23rd and will ask him to correct his mess - don't know how that will go over.

oh no! when did you have your sleeve done? Sounds very frustrating what you are going through. Hopefully you can get some answers at your appt. Do you think there is something they can do to fix this?

I agree about the two step process. I had my band in for five yrs. in the last three months it caused so much damage my dr wanted me to heal properly first. My surgery (sleeve) is scheduled for march 27. But do whats comfortable for you. We're all here bc we need help. Thank God we have all taken a positive foot forward to do something about it. Last thing we need on this forum is someone being judgmental and telling you to "think about what your doing" I'm sure you've done lots of thinking.