Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vet's Forum

You're absolutely right' date=' that I should not have called out on Laura for taking the thread off topic. I apologize for that, and did not mean to upset you, Laura. I also did not want to make you feel singled out in any way, even though that is precisely what happened.

![/quote']

Puja,

I did not mean that you calling me out was not your first time, It was the first time you did it.

You are right about that.. Unfortunately it's not the fist time though.. there are a few here that really do not like my presence here on this sub forum or any others for that matter...

lol... I am a sleever without a home. I am a newbie to you guys and a couple of days ago I got called.

A "mean veteran" by some lady. I really can't win for losing around here! :P

I know that at this point, with this topic, I am weary...

I don't know what you vets will do about us "non-vets" but I'm sure it will get figured out in due time.

Laura

I also think that a vet is at least a year out. There are plenty of other places on this forum that is open to all...newbies and vets. It's nice to have a place where those of us who are longer out in our journey can come together and talk.

Personally, I don't feel a person has to be at a set goal weight to be a vet. I never made a set goal weight that I wanted to be at. I knew that I would be happy when I got to a certain point and I would know what it was when I got there. Hope that makes sense.:)

We will all have different views on what a vet is but I think it's a great idea to get a consensus and stick with it.

I also love what was said about a vet respecting the topics on the forums. When you have been around for a while you really should respect what is being discussed and if a forum has been made with certain guidelines, respect those guidelines. Read and learn, but if someone is asked not to participate in the vet forum unless they are a certain point out, then don't.

I don't believe this forum was made to make the newbies feel bad or unwanted. On the contrary, it has nothing to do with newbies. It is a forum for the vets. This does not make us vets and better than newbies we are just at a different stage in our sleeve journey. We have different concerns and are looking for a place where we can come together with just vets.

I have to disagree that a vet should be defined as a year out. And maybe my reasons aren't valid to others, but maybe they are.

I was sleeved in May of 2012. Thus, I am not a year out. I have spent a lot of time on this forum. I am here daily, but don't respond as often as I might because I find that the repetitive nature of the questions just isn't for me. But there are occasionally helpful topics so I come for that. When the vet forum came up I was thrilled - a place for me, where I fit in. Where the questions and answers are relevant, and I can get advice from others going through similar experiences.

I have gone from 255 to 126. I have started my plastics journey. My biggest concern has to do with maintenance and the emotional aspects of leaving the weight loss mentality and moving forward with something else. Where better to discuss these things than the vets forum? When I examine the topics, they seem quite relevant to where I am in my journey. I'm unclear as to why it makes sense to exclude people such as myself who have progressed to this point in under a year.

I'm not going to go off and pout, I'm not spending my time being horribly offended - I just want folks to consider people like me. (Selfish, maybe... it's hard for me to judge).

Thanks for the consideration of another viewpoint, in any case!

Mary

There is quite a debate going on about what is a Veteran. The reality right now is that the Veteran's forum is open to everyone at this point. Everyone is putting a lot of energy into defining this I'm curious as to how admin would be able to regulate this form to begin with.

I am a veteran I would think ..will be a year out on 4/3. I have learned lots and I am still learning. I got nothing of importance to add to the conversation here....why did I post again?????

You posted here because you can! :) We are all learning every day something new........ :) We ROCK!

Just my two cents as a noob...

I think of a veteran as someone who is entering maintenance, or who is 9 months or more out and working on losing when the restriction eases up. The logic of a few months past that 6 month point works for me in that even people who have longer to go are likely to still be facing some ofthe same physical issues that thosr in maintenance are.

I would imagine most veteran issues to revolve around transitioning to more "normal" eating patterns and how to maintain the loss without being completely neurotic. The last thing a vet needs is a noob telling them Protein first and no soda.

I dont think post count should be a factor at all.

One day ill get to graduate to the vet forum. I think its a grest idea.

Did the admin. come up with any other ideas or decisions on the vets forum yet?

Sounds like some people want a maintenance forum. I'm in limbo, bored by the post-op forum and not a vet.

Where the he[[ have I been!? I just found this vet forum. Why didn't someone tell me! OK, perhaps I'm a snob, but I think one year minimum! Of course anyone else can look... I was looking for vets from the first day I came on this site, after all they are the ones that have a real clue about the process and the complications that arise later on. Almost anyone can talk about puree recipes or what is the best brand of Protein Shakes and should!.... but weight regain, hunger, maintenance, and such, you really need to be a year or more out. I have learned a heck of a lot in the last year. (I am 27 months out)and I am pretty sure there is still a ton more to learn! I never reached goal, gained some weight, got back on the wagon, had a long stall, have lost a couple of pounds...started tracking my exercise too...still love the sleeve and do not consider myself a failure...I know I'm not alone here! Sorry Newbies! That wonderful feeling that you are in control of the food may not last much longer! And its not the end of the world! This journey is LONG as far as I can tell. Having vets tell their story, and tell the truth about the difficulties and strengths involved with the journey is valuable to the vets themselves, the vets listening in, and the newbies that want to see into the future a little bit. Most of us here are under 4-5 years out... what will the stories be when that is 10? I want to know!

Where the he[[ have I been!? I just found this vet forum. Why didn't someone tell me! OK, perhaps I'm a snob, but I think one year minimum! Of course anyone else can look... I was looking for vets from the first day I came on this site, after all they are the ones that have a real clue about the process and the complications that arise later on. Almost anyone can talk about puree recipes or what is the best brand of Protein Shakes and should!.... but weight regain, hunger, maintenance, and such, you really need to be a year or more out. I have learned a heck of a lot in the last year. (I am 27 months out)and I am pretty sure there is still a ton more to learn! I never reached goal, gained some weight, got back on the wagon, had a long stall, have lost a couple of pounds...started tracking my exercise too...still love the sleeve and do not consider myself a failure...I know I'm not alone here! Sorry Newbies! That wonderful feeling that you are in control of the food may not last much longer! And its not the end of the world! This journey is LONG as far as I can tell. Having vets tell their story, and tell the truth about the difficulties and strengths involved with the journey is valuable to the vets themselves, the vets listening in, and the newbies that want to see into the future a little bit. Most of us here are under 4-5 years out... what will the stories be when that is 10? I want to know!

Perfectly said.

Also 100 posts doesn't seem like too many to achieve. I realize there are probably "vets" out there who have never heard of this site, stumble on and would qualify being 6 months or 1 year post-op, but this is a community and I think you need to share and interact, (not just coast along looking) to participate. Just my $.02.

Well, this is basically like all the other forums, very loosely moderated and I don't expect that it will change. That is how it is.

feedyoureye - I think your post was wonderful. I am not sure that people really get it sometimes... this isn't a fairy tale where you hit a magical number on a scale and ride off into the sunset in the arms of prince charming or something...lol. LOTS of morbidly obese people never get to a "goal" set by their surgeon (mine refused to set one for that reason) or based on a BMI chart or whatever. Hopefully, we recognize how much freaking better off we are though having lost XXX amount of weight! That is what my surgeon told me - he said he never wanted me to feel disappointed if I only lost say....100 pounds. Can you imagine the insanity of feeling like a failure for "only losing 100 pounds"!?!

I just noticed your surgery was done by Mohammed Ali - I love it. I wish I had a celeb doc. :)

So, another thought is I like to use the "who looks at me" meter. I got more appreciating looks when I was 10-15# heavier then i am now. My theory is two fold 1. I was radiating excitement at being so trim and 2. I still had boobs and a butt...lol Both of those reasons have faded away - and I am hardly stick thin...lol

Anyway, so glad to see you here; great to have your insights and experiences!

Can we have a moment of silence to mourn the loss of CowgirlJanes boobs? :)

Where the he[[ have I been!? I just found this vet forum.

Hey Feedyoureye,

Good to see you back! I consider you a huge success!! There are a few of us "oldies" left. Oregon Daisy and Coops have been here too. I love having a place for us where it's easy to find the questions and topics that are of interest to vets.

BTW, I did see another post from someone else comparing this to a maintenance group. We already have one of those. I think it's under social groups, but I forget. I post and check there too.

Lynda