Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preventing Blood Clots (Tijuana hospitals)

I just found out that genetically I am at a serious increased risk for venous thromboembolism (aka blood clots). I understand that it is important to start walking early and often after the surgery to prevent this. Do any of the hospitals in Tijuana provide compression stockings and also use a device called SCD's (they are wrapped around your calves and squeezed and release with the assistance of air to help with blood flow)?

Dr. Almanza has his patient's legs wrapped with ace wrap to prevent dvt. No scd though. But I was up walking alot right away...

Dr Garcia in MX has stockings for my legs too and I got up and started walking right away, then I'd get nausea, a nurse would give me a shot, I'd sleep, then wake up and do it all over again for the first day. There were also doctors and nurses around all the time which I found comforting! I was really worried about blood clots, especially if they travel and cause a pulmonary embolism. That was probably my biggest fear.. and that they'd remove and sell a kidney on the black market!

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like the best medicine is walking, but it's good to know they will either give you compression stockings or wrap your legs.

jh5497- Sounds like I should do some research on the human organ black market down there in Tijuana before I make my final decision ;)

I had a friend who saw a movie about mexico selling organs and was very concerned when I told him I was going to mexico for surgery!LMAO!

Dr. Garcia does give compression stockings but not the SCD's. They do try to get you up and walking asap and I was also given a shot in my stomach each day to prevent clots. I had high bloodpressure problems so was not able to be up walking as much so I had the shots, walked when I could and when laying down made sure to keep my legs moving.

Shrinky, do you remember what was in the shots you were given?

Dr. Ariel Ortiz used compression stockings and blood thinner to reduce the risk.

Does anyone know when the risk returns to normal after surgery?

I had a friend who saw a movie about mexico selling organs and was very concerned when I told him I was going to mexico for surgery!LMAO!

My family jokes about this and I always say.. Less organs less I weigh when I come home ;)

I trust the places I visit or use in MX or I wouldn't go!

OP.. Be sure you doc is aware of yourissues. I'm sure you'll only get the basic support stockings that go up to mid thigh.. In my case up to my hips since I'm so short.

Best advice is don't lounge around.. Walk walk walk. Even in airport

Good luck!

Shrinky, do you remember what was in the shots you were given?

It was enoxaparin (more commonly known here as lovenox) Hope it's ok to post links, just wanted you to be able to easily find some info on it: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600617

I emailed dr. Garcia about using pneumatic stockings. I don't know if that's the same bit he said he would if I remind melly when I get there.