Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Life 90 days Post-op

It's hard to believe that I have had my wonderful, little sleeve for a full 3 months already! I now just affectionately refer to my sleeve as my "tiny tummy". My tiny tummy & I embarked on our adventure together on November 27th. So, we've already had our first Christmas together. :)

90 days ago I was scared, tired & miserable. I had managed to lose & regain the same 30 lbs. (& 30 lbs. only) over & over again. My clothes were all bought over the internet. I limited my social interaction, because I was embarrassed about how I looked. It didn't matter what I wore, or how I did my hair, or how perfect my make up was. I always felt like I was disgusting. That is no way to go through life. If anyone who is reading this is pre-op & feeling that way, just let it go. Self deprecation doesn't benefit anyone.

I went in for surgery on November 27th absolutely terrified. When I woke up in recovery the pain was unbearable. I felt like a bus had run over me, backed up & was still sitting there. I only had to stay in the hospital 1 night. I had a leak test the next day & was cleared & ready to go home.

The first 3 weeks were HARD. There is just no way to sugar coat that. Everyone is different. Some people have an easier time than I did recovering. Technically, I had a perfect surgery & recovery. It has been my thinking that is taking the most time to adjust. This site was absolutely invaluable to me during my 1st 30 days. I lost a lot of weight in the first 7 days. Then the scale didn't move even a tenth of a pound for 3 weeks! I was convinced that I would never get past that 30 lbs. So many people told me this was such a small part of the journey & things would get better & they were right!

I am not the fastest loser, but that is okay. I remember one week being disappointed that I had only lost 3 lbs. that week. "Only 3 pounds". Before the sleeve I would have been ecstatic to lose 3 pounds in one week. 3 pounds a week times 52 weeks in a year is 156 pounds! I would be SO excited if next 11/27 I down 156 lbs.! I had to change the way I thought about numbers on the scale. I needed to learn to trust my Dr., nutritionist, my sleeve and myself.

Now I have not been perfect. A few of you may remember my mistakes from at least one infamous thread. ;) One day I ate 10 chicken nuggets & a mocha frappe from McDonalds. It took me 4 hours, but I got it all down. Recently I had bread for the 1st time & ate 4 pieces of garlic bread dipped in sauce. I caused myself much pain in both instances. Physically & emotionally. What have I learned from these experiences? Never again! That's what I learned. Maybe some people are perfect, but some people like me sometimes learn the hard way.

This is not only a physical journey. It is mental & emotional too. We all got to our highest weights for different reasons. I think, though, that most of us can relate to using food as a comfort at some point. Also, if you are an ex-smoker (like me) it is a double whammy. First I had to quit smoking for quite awhile before I could have surgery. Then once I had my surgery I could only use food for - get this: NUTRITION! Ack! Once I was only feeding my body nutrients & not comfort I had severe nicotine cravings. I remember crying because I couldn't eat OR smoke.

Jump to 2/27. 90 days post-op. I am down 64 pounds, 4 pants sizes, 3 shirt sizes & 1 shoe size. I am comfortable in my car now. I can fit into restaurant booths without worrying. I have more energy. Instead of my life revolving around food, my life revolves around life! Imagine that? I can go out to eat & have great conversations instead of obsessing about what appetizer, entree, dessert combination I'll be having. It's very liberating!

I still have a long way to go, but I know now that I CAN do this. My tiny tummy & I are going places. Literally. My boyfriend & I planned our first flying (as opposed to driving) vacation together in 6 years. We live in upstate NY. The 1st week of May we will be going to Phoenix to visit my grandmother. We are also doing a 3 day drive & stay trip to Las Vegas & The Grand Canyon. I am looking forward to all of it. If I keep with what my average weight loss has been I will be close to 100 pounds down by the time we leave. This trip definitely gives me motivation to really get in some good exercise over the next 2 months. I want to be able to come back & say that I HIKED in the Grand Canyon. I also want to be out on the disc golf courses with my sweetie. He deserves a more active partner than I have been.

3 months ago I started a whole new life. I can't wait to keep on this amazing path & rise to all the goals that are waiting for me! :D

Good for you! Mistakes made should always be lessons learned. Whenever someone mentions McDonald's nuggets you will probably cringe. :)

Wow...great post. idid readyour post about the bread thought...that could have been me..well,down road, i am still only 5 weeks out. you seem to have a good handle on your sleeve and are embracing now...wls is certainly not the way out...congrats again. sounds like you are eating to live and that's great!

Wow. Your story is so inspirational. Your 2nd paragraph above describes me perfectly, as I'm going through the initial process of seminars and Dr. consultations. I cannot wait to "live my life" again, as I feel I'm currently just existing and not living. I personally thank you for your candor. I'm sure others have been there too. Keep up the good work and best of luck to you!

Good for you!

I so can't wait until Mu life revolves around life instead of food!

Great post. Thank you so much for sharing. I am pre-op and it is comforting to know that it will get easier.

I love your new pic!

Thank you for sharing your story thus far -- I had read the bread Thread :wacko: so I am glad to get to read more about you !!! You've been very successful and I know it's been hard work (as for all of us!) I'm preop and am a recovering smoker as well (5 weeks now woo hoo!). By day I think I'm doing really well, but 3 times now I've had dreams about smoking! So weird! Good thing is though, that in my dream I light up and then am absolutely horrified that I've done it! So funny the subconscious mind! The nicotine gum has made it really quite easy....but I know there will be no gum for a while after surgery....

Anyways! Just wanted to say congrats and THANK YOU for being an inspiration! :D

wow! your story is inspiring. Im glad that you are so positive even though you made mistakes. we are all human and cant be perfect! thats what Ive discovered. its a journey of ups and downs but the important thing is that we get back up and keep going. :)

Wow. Your story is so inspirational. Your 2nd paragraph above describes me perfectly, as I'm going through the initial process of seminars and Dr. consultations. I cannot wait to "live my life" again, as I feel I'm currently just existing and not living. I personally thank you for your candor. I'm sure others have been there too. Keep up the good work and best of luck to you!

I am sorry that you are feeling how I felt. I know exactly how hard that is. Keep your spirits up & keep your goal in mind at all times. Your life is going to change for the better. Hang in there & I wish you a great surgery & a speedy recovery.

I love your new pic!

Thank you for sharing your story thus far -- I had read the bread Thread :wacko: so I am glad to get to read more about you !!! You've been very successful and I know it's been hard work (as for all of us!) I'm preop and am a recovering smoker as well (5 weeks now woo hoo!). By day I think I'm doing really well, but 3 times now I've had dreams about smoking! So weird! Good thing is though, that in my dream I light up and then am absolutely horrified that I've done it! So funny the subconscious mind! The nicotine gum has made it really quite easy....but I know there will be no gum for a while after surgery....

Anyways! Just wanted to say congrats and THANK YOU for being an inspiration! :D

Thank you for not judging me by the Bread Thread! LOL. :P It is hard to have to quit smoking & then eating. You can do it, though. A lot of people have been where you are.

Thank you!! I was sleeved on Monday and so far I've lost 11 pounds. I'm not hungry and so far I'm doing ok with Soup broth, Jello, ice chips and warm tea. Hot hurt my tummy, but warm is good.

Once again thank you for sharing!!!

Congratulations on your 3 month weight loss. You are doing marvellous.

I love your new pic!

Thank you for sharing your story thus far -- I had read the bread Thread :wacko: so I am glad to get to read more about you !!! You've been very successful and I know it's been hard work (as for all of us!) I'm preop and am a recovering smoker as well (5 weeks now woo hoo!). By day I think I'm doing really well' date=' but 3 times now I've had dreams about smoking! So weird! Good thing is though, that in my dream I light up and then am absolutely horrified that I've done it! So funny the subconscious mind! The nicotine gum has made it really quite easy....but I know there will be no gum for a while after surgery....

Anyways! Just wanted to say congrats and THANK YOU for being an inspiration! :D[/quote']

That is sooo funny! I kept having dreams like that too...I kept getting so mad at myself! Lol

Congratulations, glad to hear you are doing so well! :-)