Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone members at planet fitness?

I'm not some kind of conspiracy theorists or whatever' date=' most of those people I really think are quacks, but there are documentaries I've seen about the healthcare and fitness industries, it's obvious the fitness industry was built on scams and crap (just look at any over the counter weight loss meds and how you can put anything in a bottle and market it as a weight loss pill, LITERALLY). But I really think PF is all about keeping their clients fat and happy rather than looking at the serious issue of obesity. It pisses me off seeing them treat it as such a joke when people are dying of this disease every second.

Sorry, I guess I should apologize before some sends me a mean nasty PM or someones feelings get hurt. I didn't mean to turn this in to a bash PF thread, it serves its purpose if you can walk past the large pepperoni or Bagels on the counter, I mean, who of us has ever had a problem with temptation right? Psh.

Ok let me try to apologize legitimately again. I don't want to hijack the thread any more than I already have, sorry I did in the first place. Sometimes I just don't know when to back out of a thread versus giving my opinion. My apologies.[/quote']

Ha.Ha!!!! I have to say I agree... (Unapologetically). ;) I love the gym because my membership is cheap (cheapest in town). But the food thing has to be a complete slap in the face to those who are struggling with food addiction...

Despite knowing that my PF has pizza and bagel nights, plus having been a member there for over a year, I have NEVER managed to walk in there when they have pizza or Bagels. I have gone in there when there are donuts sitting on the county and thought WTF, but I've never eaten any of them. I have issues with food that sits out in public places, even worse these days. I don't trust people not to touch everything there with their unwashed hands. ;) I do love my PF, though, especially since they fired the body-builder football star guy that was the trainer ("Lift more weight, lower reps") and hired the trainer with the physical fitness degree who has helped me build and re-build my exercise routine several times.

Despite knowing that my PF has pizza and bagel nights, plus having been a member there for over a year, I have NEVER managed to walk in there when they have pizza or Bagels. I have gone in there when there are donuts sitting on the county and thought WTF, but I've never eaten any of them. I have issues with food that sits out in public places, even worse these days. I don't trust people not to touch everything there with their unwashed hands. ;) I do love my PF, though, especially since they fired the body-builder football star guy that was the trainer ("Lift more weight, lower reps") and hired the trainer with the physical fitness degree who has helped me build and re-build my exercise routine several times.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with "higher weight, lower reps" exactly? Or is it the whole "toning" thing...lol.

Lol, I got kicked out of a Planet Fitness once, they didn't like settling in court, but screw em all.

Did you set off the "Lunk Alarm" like I did? :unsure:

It's probably a really good gym for some people depending on their goals and how they exercise.....but it's just not for me. Been there, tried that.

PF is god damn joke, that's all im saying

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with "higher weight, lower reps" exactly? Or is it the whole "toning" thing...lol.

There's nothing inherently wrong with higher weight, lower reps, but my goal is to tone mostly. Having muscle and strength are great, but I'm working to get a longer, leaner look than most. My goal is higher than many women's because I'm tall and built fairly big to start with. In high school, while running track 5 days a week, plus walking 10+ miles a week to and from a distant bus stop, I still weighed 180-190. I'd like to have the look I had back then, but I would look dead if I got down to >160. My plastics and weight loss doctors agree with me. Low weights with high reps work better for me to accomplish my goal....although I'd dearly love to have Linda Hamilton's arms from Terminator 2.

There's nothing inherently wrong with higher weight, lower reps, but my goal is to tone mostly. Having muscle and strength are great, but I'm working to get a longer, leaner look than most. My goal is higher than many women's because I'm tall and built fairly big to start with. In high school, while running track 5 days a week, plus walking 10+ miles a week to and from a distant bus stop, I still weighed 180-190. I'd like to have the look I had back then, but I would look dead if I got down to >160. My plastics and weight loss doctors agree with me. Low weights with high reps work better for me to accomplish my goal....although I'd dearly love to have Linda Hamilton's arms from Terminator 2.

Please read scientific studies on toning...sigh. That's all I'm saying. You're not going to get all big and bulky and body builder like by lifting weight, lol. Beautiful Badass, it's a phenomenal training program written by a girl who advocates actually lifting and not following the myth of toning. If your trainer is "toning" you, kick him where his balls should be please.

I'm not saying light weight high reps is bad, I use them for accessory work because it gives greater activation over a longer period of time after I've hit major muscle groups. But every time someone says they're "toning" God kills a kitten. And...as much as I don't like cats, it's still unnecessary death.

Did you set off the "Lunk Alarm" like I did? :unsure:

It's probably a really good gym for some people depending on their goals and how they exercise.....but it's just not for me. Been there, tried that.

I did the first time. The 2nd time I was just asked to leave before I even got to lift because I looked intimidating according to the manager.

PF is god damn joke, that's all im saying

It definitely is. It's a feel good place to harbor people who are afraid to branch out of their comfort zone. There are some folks there I'm sure who just use it because it's cheap, but I hate that place and all that it stands for. I've not met one person who trains there who would have a job any other place as a trainer. I even hold 24 hour fitness trainers above PF trainers.