Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone stall out at around 3 weeks post op?

I am new to the forum and in need of some inspiration. I had my surgery on 1-9-13. I lost around 22 pounds in the first three weeks and only a total of 1.5 pounds in the four weeks since then. I have tracked my food and provided it to my nutritionist. She said that it looks good and that she can't determine any reason why my weight loss has stalled. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get things moving again? I am getting around 950 calories and 85 g of Protein per day and nothing I seem to do is helping. I am really starting to doubt that I made the right decision. I didn't risk my life to have surgery to only lose 23 pounds!

Almost everyone stalls there.

pretty much everyone that has ever been sleeved....

The body is holding on to the fat really hard and it is adjusting to your decrease in calories. The sleeve won't be a magic path to weight loss in that respect. Simply reducing the amount of caloric consumption will actually cause the body to go into starvation mode and the scale won't move. This is pretty typical regardless of the method of weight loss (surgery, standard diet etc.). Stalls will happen, it is part of the process. To get things moving again, it sometimes actually takes an increase in caloric intake. Maybe 10-15%. Keep your Water and Protein intake high, and your carb intake low. Something like 2 to 1 if you need a reference. Keep the cardio going as well. The increase in calories, forces to body to burn the energy and not just hold on to it. Increasing the exercise causes the metabolism to increase and more energy gets burned. The key is not to get discouraged, but keep tinkering with the process until you find what works for you. Hang tough :)

So is it something that I just have to deal with? Or can I do something to make it better? I am so worried that this is it for me and I won't be able to get it started again

DEFINITELY!!!!!

I stalled for like 2 weeks at week 3. Just keep doing what your doctor tells you. Keep pushing and drink as much Water as you can. Eventually... YOU WILL.... break through the stall.

Go get em!

hi there. I was feeling the same exact wat last week. I am 5 weeks out tomorrow, and have been at a stall for 2 weeks now. The scale FINALLY moved this morning, and I dropped another 2. Very frustrating, but hear it's normal. Hang in there it will come.

I am new to the forum and in need of some inspiration. I had my surgery on 1-9-13. I lost around 22 pounds in the first three weeks and only a total of 1.5 pounds in the four weeks since then. I have tracked my food and provided it to my nutritionist. She said that it looks good and that she can't determine any reason why my weight loss has stalled. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get things moving again? I am getting around 950 calories and 85 g of Protein per day and nothing I seem to do is helping. I am really starting to doubt that I made the right decision. I didn't risk my life to have surgery to only lose 23 pounds!

Don't get discouraged ! I was sleeved on the 5th of Jan. and Yes I hit the stall. scale stared moving a week ago again . I am 170 now and loving every minute! Good luck

I complained a lot on here during ,u first stall. I was so annoyed. Everyone told me different things to do and that it was normal and would end. It does eventually break and the pounds will drop again. However, I found for me that Water was key as well as making sure I was not constipated....the two go hand in hand. Get your water in, every last drop, not matter what it takes.

I stalled for four weeks at week three. It does get better just don't slip when you get discouraged. Bump up the Water intake and use myfitnesspal to see what you are eating and the calorie intake...you may need more calories.

It is unusual to not have a stall at this point (though four weeks is on the long side, but not unprecedented,) as it is part of our physiology. Here is a great explanation of what is happening early in our weight loss journey -

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

As you see from this, much of what's happening is Water hoarding to rebuild that glycogen supply, so keeping your Water consumption up is helpful (sip,sip,sip!) and depending upon where you are, winter weather can be very dry which can further increase your need for hydration.

Adding a bit of insult to the injury of a long stall is that you should also expect that when your loss resumes that it will be at a somewhat slower rate. That initial loss, as explained in that article, is mostly glycogen, (basically stored carbs,) which burns fairly rapidly at a rate of around 2000 calories per pound, while once you start losing again you will be drawing from your longer term stores of fat which burns more slowly, at a rate of around 3500 calories per pound - but its finally doing what you want to do, which is burning fat!

I lost 37 lb in those first three weeks. My NUT thinks since I lost so much at first the stall lasted so long. Steady loss rate since.

I am in the EXACT same situation. I was sleeved 1/15/2013, am down 23 pounds, and have only lost 2 pounds in the last 2 and a half weeks. I eat between 700 and 950 calories and get between 50 and 80 grams of Protein. It's so discouraging :(

I stalled for 10 days, it started at 10 days post op. i finally started semi losing again.

I lost 18 lbs the first 15 days and I have been in a stall for the last 7 days. I am hoping it breaks soon.

I was sleeved on 2-5-13, I have only lost 7lbs since surgery. I am so discouraged right now! It's now 2/25/13 20 days now and no lost! I am following my soft mechanical diet some say my surgeon moved me too fast. I've went back to the basics a couple days and nothing. I'm almost getting my 64 oz Water in I'm just confused and depressed right now. I have degenerative disc disease in my back so after 6 minutes on the elliptical I'm drained! My current weight is 300 lbs. height 5'4. Any suggestions or facts on what I'm doing wrong?