Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does walking get easier after the sleeve?

I am likely getting a sleeve once I jump through enough hoops. I can't walk very much or my leg hurts. Has anyone found that now they have much less knee and leg pain and can walk without pain now?

I had hip pain at my heaviest. All my pain is gone now except what I inflict on myself at the gym! It's amazing how much easier everything gets -- from wiping your butt to getting in/out of vehicles to sex! Everything is easier physically. Mentally and emotionally, I have personally found things get easier too. I am much nicer to myself, I treat myself more often, and I don't beat myself up for things food related!

Just losing 20 lbs my first couple weeks made a huge difference on my knees. As soon as I was nearing 190 and my knees starting hurting daily and I knew I had to do something. Glad I did. Things are good ;-)

Yes it is much easier. I have no knee or joint pain anymore. I used to have very bad back pain, thought I was going to be miserable for the rest of my life....and I have no back pain at all anymore. I also suffer from gout, and I haven't had any issues with it at all since I lost about 40 pounds.

Good to know. I have back problem, knees hurt and one torn minuscus. Going in in the 27th and my husband doesn't get that I'm tired of all the pain. He says he doesn't see me really fat. But my knees and back are telling I am.

My ankle muscles would tighten up really bad if I walked too much or too fast on the treadmill. I would also suffer from hip pain from time to time. After surgery, I have neither of those problems anymore.

Good to know. I have back problem, knees hurt and one torn minuscus. Going in in the 27th and my husband doesn't get that I'm tired of all the pain. He says he doesn't see me really fat. But my knees and back are telling I am.

Yep.. At first my husband couldn't understand why I wanted to do this, ( as in vanity) but I had to explain to him about all the different pain I was experiencing all due to my weight

Oh my gosh! So much easier!

Getting rid of the extra weight is so much easier on aching joints.

You will be so much happier

Yes! I have degenerative arthritus i my right knee and it hurt so bad after walking the dog just a few blocks! Now I add a block each time! I still have pain and always will cause I have no cartlidge left, but not nearly the amount before surgery.

I had knee pain...now, it's gone!

I had plantar fasciitis....now, it's gone!

I had hip pain...now, it's gone!!!

I used to be a couch potato....now, I do triathlons!!

:D

Absolutly. At my heaviest (over 380lbs) I had so much pain. I could hardly walk a block with out pain in my legs. I also have very bad knees and the pain was horrible. Living in NYC and not being able to walk, as you can imagine was horrible. I couldn't live life. Fast forward to now, down 78lbs and I sprint down the block in record time. I'm able to climb subway stairs with ease. I can live life again. I do still have knee pain because I just have bad knees in general but it's night and day compared to where I was. So yes it has improved my pain a million percent!

I'll echo everyone who posted.. EVERYTHING is easier. I still have a ways to go, but I could not be happier with post sleeve life so far!

Walking definitely gets easier after the sleeve purely from practice, practice, practice. By walking a little bit every day after surgery you will gain strength, endurance, and greater lung capacity. Start out just walking a block after coming home. Try and increase your walking every day going longer distances and picking up the pace. If you have time and the energy, try walking more then once a day. After a few weeks, you will be surprised at what can be accomplished with walking. Do give yourself proper recovery time. There may be days when you just do not feel like walking and that is perfectly ok.

My feet feel better, my knees feel better (except for the starting-to-run-aches), my back doesn't hurt and I move so much faster. Before surgery I thought I was walking really fast on my treadmill when I got to 3mph, now my warm up is at 3.5mph with a 4% or so incline.

These days, when I pick up my 50lbs son and think about the fact that I've lost more than 90lbs, I can't imagine how I lugged myself around!

Everything physical gets easier as the weight comes off, or that's been my experience.

Just a quick caveat. Walking right after surgery will be a bit harder in the beginning. Besides being sore, I got out of breath easily. At first I just went to the corner and back. Now I'm walking up and down the neighborhood. I can feel my circulation and breathing capacity improve with each walk. Keep plugging away at it, it gets easier with time.