Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

37 day liquid diet

So I'm going April 8 for my sleeve, my Dr. has requested I do a 37 day liquid diet. I decided to start it a week or so early so I could fall off the wagon if I needed to which I did the first day (poor planning) and today has been rather miserable. Any tips or tricks to make this long stretch of no solids go easier. Thanks in advance.

Wow! I've never heard of a pre-op liquid diet being so long! The good news is that the shakes will keep you satisfied. Buy gum?

Yeah, that seems awfully long for a pre-op diet. I'm curious what the reasoning behind it is. I'd second the gum thing. I lived on different flavors (the apple pie one is really good!) during my liquid, and I'm really NOT a gum person. I wonder if he'd allow you to have at least something (like broccoli or other low carb vegetable) to eat.

I know it wasn't technically listed on my liquid diet (20 days) but lets be realistic, it's not the easiest thing. I don't make a habit of it but I've got sugar free life savers and gum in my purse. It's really helped during lunch meetings or trainings when I'm surrounded by food!

Can you add to your shakes? You can add 1 cup unsweetened applesauce & cinnamon to a vanilla Protein Shake & blend with a cup of ice and make it thick enough to eat with a spoon.

Just think of how many pounds you will lose Pre-surgery! You will be more energized and feel healthier every day.

Good luck!!

May God have mercy on your soul! Jeez, I'm glad mine is 14 days. Whew! For me, it's been sugar free Jello, popsicles, Protein, and the occasional breath mint or gum.

Wow is all I can say! These Drs are crazy. Curious-is this an out of pocket pd surgery?

I had no liquid diet at all except after surgery, and that was easy cause you have no appetite. I did have to lose 20# before surgery, and I did it 2 1/2 months, then my Dr scheduled my surgery. I even ate a regular meal the night before surgery. I just dont get why these Drs are torturing you with liquid diets before surgery:(

Wow is all I can say! These Drs are crazy. Curious-is this an out of pocket pd surgery?

I had no liquid diet at all except after surgery, and that was easy cause you have no appetite. I did have to lose 20# before surgery, and I did it 2 1/2 months, then my Dr scheduled my surgery. I even ate a regular meal the night before surgery. I just dont get why these Drs are torturing you with liquid diets before surgery:(

I get the whole shrinking liver thing, whatever, but seeing people have success with the sleeve with minimal/no pre op liquid diet, yeah I'm jealous, haha. A friend of mine was only to do a 2 day pre op, one full Protein meal, and liquids, and she's lost 100 pounds in I think 8 months.

Mine Pre op requirement is 24 hours of liquids before surgery. I've technically got until 8:30 am today (Sunday) to eat, but I'm doing liquids from midnight on. Then I have to do two 10 oz bottles of laxatives. Ugh...

Thanks for all the advice! I'm at 55-56 BMI is why I figured it was such a long diet. Also yes it is an OOP surgery I've decided to use Dr. Alverez in MX.

21 day liquid diet for me. I'm on day 3. It's 10x easier today than it was on day 1. I hope it keeps getting easier!

I went five weeks on my pre op diet as well. In all honesty it sucked but I had peace of mind that I did all I could for a safe and smooth operation. It did get easier as I went along but nothing was worse than watching the Super Bowl with all my buddies eating loads of pizza and wings while I sipped on a muscle milk lite hahaha. I also think that it helped set me up to be successful so far by breaking habits of eating late/ or grazing. Best of luck to you!