Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love love love some popcorn...

Not that I'm advocating this, but I used to buy "hullless" popcorn for my grandma, and she really enjoyed it. It comes in a bag with other not-good-for-us Snacks. If someone is going to indulge and you're worried about the popcorn seeds and your sleeve, this might be a better option.

I've been kind of scared to eat popcorn, or regular corn for that matter. I won't go into details but under normal circumstances it doesn't digest well. Kind of wondering what would happen post surgery. Plus I was told corn was high in natural sugar.

I, too, love popcorn and I thought about buying the little individual bags and limiting myself to one per week. I think that would satisfy me but I have been afraid of the hulls and my sleeve so haven't tried it yet.

I like popcorn but suddenly it is my favorite food....and I can't have it....

Dana

for years, prior to WLS of course :)

DH would say to me - "i want some popcorn", lets go to the movies :lol: :lol:

doc gave me "permission" to have popcorn a few months post op (sorry, don't remember when)

now when DH and i go to the movies he will still have his GIGANTIC tub of BUTTERED popcorn!!!!

(he knows he needs to loose about 75 lbs, but he doesn't have the will or the motivation :angry: )

i will get a plain SMALL popcorn (i luck out, not big on butter, NEVER butter on popcorn)

i know movie popcorn is not the healthiest, and i know i COULD bring from home some better popcorn

but..... i don't want to :lol:

the "mental" aspect of having movie popcorn is great for me :lol:

for home, i will buy a box of orville redonbocker small popcorn bags that have 100 calories , never have a problem with digestion

i know, i know, too many carbs :angry: - but as a treat on an occasion - popcorn won't kill me!!!

tomorrow going to movies - bruce willis die hard sequil

woo hoo - popcorn city :lol:

I love popcorn and kettle corn and they love me!!

I eat it and its no biggie... I actually get satisfied very soon after eating it so its not much.

It's a great snack and a must at the movies :)

Dana

for years' date=' prior to WLS of course :)

doc gave me "permission" to have popcorn a few months post op (sorry, don't remember when)

now when DH and i go to the movies he will still have his GIGANTIC tub of BUTTERED popcorn!!!!

(he knows he needs to loose about 75 lbs, but he doesn't have the will or the motivation :angry: )

i will get a plain SMALL popcorn (i luck out, not big on butter, NEVER butter on popcorn)

i know movie popcorn is not the healthiest, and i know i COULD bring from home some better popcorn

for home, i will buy a box of orville redonbocker small popcorn bags that have 100 calories , never have a problem with digestion

i know, i know, too many carbs :angry: - but as a treat on an occasion - popcorn won't kill me!!!

woo hoo - popcorn city :lol: [/quote']

I love your post, always helpful and inspirational. ????

popcorn was (is?) my all time favorite snack. I do not have enough toes and fingers to count the different variety of popcorn I used to enjoy. Caramel, white Cheddar, movie, kettle, vinegar, apple/caramel....

That was 8 months ago. I sometimes think back on it today like the passing of a furry friend in the family, good times in college or childhood memories of good times during the summer. It is nostalgic. However, the memories do fade and the desire becomes less. I do not feel driven to it like a magnet to a refrigerator door, perhaps because of the passage of time or it is simply not a part of the new me. I know it is hard right now for you, but slowly the drive will diminish as you replace it with other food or exercise.

That is why I believe that most doctors and NUTs recommend you take advantage of the first 6 months in order to create a distance between your current self and your old self. Old lifestyle patterns are replaced with new lifestyle patterns. It takes time to build the healthy habits.

Dana

for years, prior to WLS of course :)

woo hoo - popcorn city :lol:

Let me know how good/bad the Die Hard sequel. Not that it matters -- just knowing it's a Die Hard movie will be enough -- it's one of my favorite movies. Sort of like Raiders of the Lost Ark...when it came out with the old Harrison Ford in Crystal Skull ( or whatever it was) I was excited. I didn't really care whether it was good. It was just great to see Indiana Jones again! (And yes, it did pretty much suck)

This is my philosophy about popcorn - I do not love popcorn enough to eat un-buttered, dry Styrofoam balls --if I'm going to eat popcorn I am GOING TO EAT POPCORN!! Know what I mean? One of the benefits (to me at least) of having this surgery is it has a lot of self correcting behavioral benefits. I'm hoping I will only be able to eat a certain amount then must stop because of sleeve restriction. BUT if it is a slider food for me, ok then I will adjust to that - Instead of eating a meal I'll have popcorn. Is that the healthiest? No, but that really is why I had this surgery. I want to be able to live normally and adapt accordingly! Make sense?

At this point, I have obsessed enough about popcorn that I have now come believe that that POPCORN IS THE GREATEST food IN THE WORLD and I am being deprived of it. LOL

By the way, I sometimes think that all the nutritionists/docs/NPs doomsday predictions about certain foods are just a way to keeps us in line! Unfortunately sweets and breads have so far not had any negative effect on me. I've had a biscuit -- no problem. I had a piece of cake - no problem. :(

The Die Hard sequel was kind of weak. If you like crazy driving and things blowing up though, it's entertaining. I saw it Opening Night and did NOT have popcorn at the theater. Tempted, but I had just had dinner (a little too much dinner) so I decided not to press my luck.

The only thing about popcorn that concerns me is the salt. it was one of my fave Snacks and I am not forbidden any foods at this point. Last weekend I bought and popped a small bag. Took me a couple of days to finish it. Zero issues. And I haven't had another. I satisfied the craving.

I would take a closer look on why you become fixated on certain foods. You used the word obsession if I remember correctly - its probably important to realize that isn't a normal/healthy feeling to have towards food.

I like it too - my husband doesn't like sweets very much so at valentines day I bought him a valentines tin of holiday popcorn and I had maybe a few bites of it - like 3 ounces or so - and left it alone after that - if you could do that then I think it probably will not kill you, but only you know if you will really be able to leave it alone or not.

I always added olive oil and garlic salt to my fat free popcorn bag, dam that is to good. long way to go for that :)

I'm dramatic -- "obsession" is just me being a drama queen. Let me put it like this...I would love to have some popcorn. And I've been thinking about it like, I would really like some popcorn....can't wait till I can have popcorn....

I agree, the Portion Control is the key. I'd rather had a small amount of yummy popcorn than a large amount of dry Styrofoam balls!

I really haven't had a craving for anything since surgery... my husband makes awesome grilled/bbq St Louis Pork Ribs...I was looking forward to it. I took 1 rib, had a couple of bites and was done. Way too heavy.

I am only 5 weeks out, so I wont try it yet, but I am finding that my tastes have changed so much! I wonder if I will even love popcorn anymore! I used to go find a movie to watch just because I craved movie popcorn, then get a huge bag with extra butter and down most of it in one sitting. I am sure that won't be the case, as greasy things make me want to vomit now. I can't even handle mayo or sour cream. This may be because my gall bladder was removed at the same time I had my sleeve. But, I have also always been a heavy coffee drinker, quad shot, 12 oz breve coffee drinker, and now, even weak coffee does not taste good anymore. I have become a tea drinker! And chocolate is ok, but i prefer berries! What is that? I mean, i guess it is a good thing, but I feel like I am having an identity crisis. I guess that goes to show how much I identify myself with food... scary... :)

I am only 5 weeks out, so I wont try it yet, but I am finding that my tastes have changed so much! I wonder if I will even love popcorn anymore! I used to go find a movie to watch just because I craved movie popcorn, then get a huge bag with extra butter and down most of it in one sitting. I am sure that won't be the case, as greasy things make me want to vomit now. I can't even handle mayo or sour cream. This may be because my gall bladder was removed at the same time I had my sleeve. But, I have also always been a heavy coffee drinker, quad shot, 12 oz breve coffee drinker, and now, even weak coffee does not taste good anymore. I have become a tea drinker! And chocolate is ok, but i prefer berries! What is that? I mean, i guess it is a good thing, but I feel like I am having an identity crisis. I guess that goes to show how much I identify myself with food... scary... :)

I'm jealous -- I was hoping I'd have all the aversions to good stuff but sadly no, so far I have tolerated anything I've tried ( except a pork rib -- way too heavy).

I would take a closer look on why you become fixated on certain foods. You used the word obsession if I remember correctly - its probably important to realize that isn't a normal/healthy feeling to have towards food.

I like it too - my husband doesn't like sweets very much so at valentines day I bought him a valentines tin of holiday popcorn and I had maybe a few bites of it - like 3 ounces or so - and left it alone after that - if you could do that then I think it probably will not kill you' date=' but only you know if you will really be able to leave it alone or not.[/quote']

Lol! I was definitely NOT one for moderation around popcorn. The job was not complete until all of said popcorn was eaten. At least that was my previous thinking before surgery. Not sure if I would still be that way around popcorn. Probably not. Even if I was still like that, it would be painful and that would be enough to deter me. I feel like I do not have a reason to find out so popcorn is just another one of those snack foods I will not be eating for now.