Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread...Why did I do it? :(

I am a week away from being 3 months Post-op. I have stuck to my NUT recommendations pretty closely. Today I was immersed in homework. Before I realized it 3pm & I hadn't eaten anything & I didn't have anything in the house. I decided to order a salad to be delivered from my local Italian place. Last minute I added on garlic bread with mozzarella & a side of sauce. My delivery came. I put the salad in the fridge & went to town on the garlic bread. This is the 1st time that I've had bread since surgery. I ate 4 pieces of bread dipped in sauce. I immediately felt like my sleeve was super tight & yucky so, I tried to drink a few sips of Water. It was like I could feel the water sitting in my chest. Shortly after I threw up, but a very small amount. My sleeve still feels horrible & so do I. Never again! :unsure:

I sorry you had to experience that. I think we all have had that moment of weakness where we ate something that we shouldn't have. The key is not continuing on that path... Learn from it and try and figure out why you did it in the first place. I have heard several people and read from a variety of authors that say weightloss is mostly mental...and if you don't deal with that part then once a person loses their weight, it will be very difficult to maintain. Figure out what your triggers are and what lead you to eating the bread. You have come too far not to.

Best of luck to you and again we have all had our moments, the key is learning something from it.

I think the best deterrent is the back lash we get from our new tummies! Like my dr told me...if it hurts..don't do it again! Simple, but true! Just get back on target & you'll be fine, we all give in to our weaknesses every once in awhile!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes you have to get things out of your system. Now you know how you will feel, and in the future you might limit yourself to one piece of bread with your salad. Hang in there!

I am 2 months out and had a grilled cheese sandwich last night and didn't have a problem....I was scared I would though as it was the 1st bread I've had also other than a very little bite here and there. Maybe you just ate it too fast, or too much?? I'd try again in a few weeks and just eat slower and less and see if you have better tolerance.

I am sooo glad to read this.

The goal is to lose weight, but being human with cravings is difficult. I am only Day 8 wanting a Breakfast panini with bacon. Didn't have one but maybe by month 2+, I can have a 1/3 of one?!

I am removing this post as it has unintentionally caused a ruckus.

Removed to clear up post.

-Mark

Meh, I had a post written about a post made in this thread, and how I felt it disrespectful and out of ones realm for calling out someones mental capacities and abilities, but found my post to be...harsh and inconsiderate of the way that person sees others.

/deleted my comment, decided it wasn't all too nice to post, oh well :/

I'm a bit nervous about the whole easy on the bread deal, but I'm sure I'll manage. And even if I slip up a bit here and there, like you, I'm sure I'll learn my lesson and be better on the back end for it. Things happen, splurging a bit, well, it's just bad, but lifes full of mistakes dear, you just gotta take one thing at a time. You're doing quite well so far, keep it up. I'm sure everyone who's been sleeved has had a few issues with trying to go too fast and such, just happens. Learn from it, write it in your journal under what NOT to eat right now, and head on forward with your journey.

yeeeeah I have a feeling that was directed at me, and I get it - but I want to be clear that I would never say that OP has impaired mental functioning or anything of the sort, in fact, just the opposite is true, she clearly cares and knows the right things to do. My comment was coming from concern because it was not that long ago that OP was going on about spending all day eating nuggets and drinking frappuccinos from mcdonalds. I want to be clear, my memory could be failing me and I COULD be thinking of someone else but I don't think I am.

All I am saying is that I seem to be noticing a pattern here of relatively extreme bindging (in so far as a VSG patient can binge) feeling ultra bad about it to the point of making it seem as though she feels like she has had some kind of personal failure, resolving to do better, then rinse and repeat. I am pretty worried for OP, because I just feel like there are other issues at play here that might be more suitable for a professional.

Being a psych nurse and caring for all types of people I have a lot of love, and I find it interesting that whenever someone suggests that couseling of some sort might be useful that people take that to mean mental capacity is somehow an issue. Needing/seeking professional help in NO way equals retarded, stupid, weak or anything of the sort and to assume that people mean that when they suggest that their issues seem to be behavioral, not a knowledge problem is a little unfair.

Removed to clean up thread.

All I'm saying is it was pretty shitty to just publicly out it like that, that's all, anything else is irrelevant to the fact that you picked the absolute most cruel and wrong way to say something about a potential problem someone may be having. So much for this site being a support group with all the head bashing a few posters like to throw around.

I'm not following you I guess. I don't feel as though anything I have said is mean or hateful, but if OP is just looking for handholding maybe I am not the girl - I post publically because this is a public forum and if OP is having this issue there are probably many like her, so sure I guess I could PM her to say what I said but I guess the whole point in my mind is for other people to be able to come along and read all the tips and suggestions as well. When I was brand new here I was using the search engine like crazy to read about the problems I was having, and if people had only been PMing all replies it wouldn't be helpful to anyone else.

I think you might be reading too much into what I said, I just simple suggested that OP might have an issue that runs deeper than "welp, not doing THAT again" because, frankly, this is at least the second or third post of this exact nature and I think no one is doing any favors by glossing over that fact if they have noticed it. It's clearly a problem.

I ran support groups professionally, and support does not always mean never calling a spade a spade, and it doesn't mean always putting on a happy face either, but I want to be clear about something. I like DeeDeeMuffin, I have seen her all over this site and I always think she is a great contributor I don't know her personally, but having seen what I have seen, I have the respect to say what I think. I never called her any names, I never said she absolutely has an eating disorder or compulsive behavior, but I think we are all kidding ourselves if we don't consider that possibility and be honest about it. Thats what real support is about, sometimes its not all sunshine, rainbows and happy faces

Now, to DeeDee, if you are offended by my message I will be more than happy to take it down for you, as I think it's obvious at this point my intention isn't to come down on you, but I can tell you as someone who had to deal with an eating disorder myself, I see a ton of similarities and it makes me worry. I could be reading to much into this because of my own perception based on my own experiences - you let me know.

Dee asked for an answer or help as to why she did this and she asked on a public forum. Grace did nothing wrong. She addressed the issue and offered very good advice, even adding to the advice the reasons why she is worried.

yeeeeah I have a feeling that was directed at me, and I get it - but I want to be clear that I would never say that OP has impaired mental functioning or anything of the sort, in fact, just the opposite is true, she clearly cares and knows the right things to do. My comment was coming from concern because it was not that long ago that OP was going on about spending all day eating nuggets and drinking frappuccinos from mcdonalds. I want to be clear, my memory could be failing me and I COULD be thinking of someone else but I don't think I am.

All I am saying is that I seem to be noticing a pattern here of relatively extreme bindging (in so far as a VSG patient can binge) feeling ultra bad about it to the point of making it seem as though she feels like she has had some kind of personal failure, resolving to do better, then rinse and repeat. I am pretty worried for OP, because I just feel like there are other issues at play here that might be more suitable for a professional.

Being a psych nurse and caring for all types of people I have a lot of love, and I find it interesting that whenever someone suggests that couseling of some sort might be useful that people take that to mean mental capacity is somehow an issue. Needing/seeking professional help in NO way equals retarded, stupid, weak or anything of the sort and to assume that people mean that when they suggest that their issues seem to be behavioral, not a knowledge problem is a little unfair.

Grace, you were listed as one of my friends on my profile. You certainly could have sent me a private message. I felt a little blindsided. Yes, It was me that posted that I ate 10 chicken nuggets & 1 McDonald's frappe over the course of I believe it was 4-6 hour period. I will be 90 days post-op on Wednesday. I can't believe that no one else has made 2 mistakes days in 90 days. Maybe my mistake was admitting what I did. I also worked in the mental health field for over a dozen years as direct care staff for people living in community resident homes as well as independently in the community. I have worked with schizophrenic, schizoaffective, bipolar, PTSD, suicidal, homicidal...you name it. I am fully aware of mental health services provided. If I feel at some point that I need professional help then I will seek it. For now I am just another sleever learning how this really works, learning how to use food as nutrition and nothing else and testing my sleeve a bit. I think most people do at some point. For now, I will take a break from this website & depend on myself for support. In the end the only person we can ever really count on is ourselves.

Yeah....I guess I'm just seeing it all wrong. I felt it was a public attack and out of line, but I suppose it's just me here with that viewpoint. DeeDee I'm sorry I got the thread off topic, all else stands as my opinion, right or wrong.

Grace, you were listed as one of my friends on my profile. You certainly could have sent me a private message. I felt a little blindsided. Yes, It was me that posted that I ate 10 chicken nuggets & 1 McDonald's frappe over the course of I believe it was 4-6 hour period. I will be 90 days post-op on Wednesday. I can't believe that no one else has made 2 mistakes days in 90 days. Maybe my mistake was admitting what I did. I also worked in the mental health field for over a dozen years as direct care staff for people living in community resident homes as well as independently in the community. I have worked with schizophrenic, schizoaffective, bipolar, PTSD, suicidal, homicidal...you name it. I am fully aware of mental health services provided. If I feel at some point that I need professional help then I will seek it. For now I am just another sleever learning how this really works, learning how to use food as nutrition and nothing else and testing my sleeve a bit. I think most people do at some point. For now, I will take a break from this website & depend on myself for support. In the end the only person we can ever really count on is ourselves.

I'll take it down then. I'm just not certain what you are looking for. There is nothing at all wrong with posting your struggles but for some reason yours stuck out to me as special because I do not remember every post I read, but I remember yours. I don't know why. I see we are no longer friends so I can only assume you have unfriended me, which is fine if you feel attacked in some way I get it - but consider this, you are posting in a public forum so unless someone has something deeply DEEPLY personal to share with you, it is not unreasonable to assume that people will respond publicly in the exact manner that you posted and if you are for some reason uncomfortable with that, you might reevaluate if you should be posting in the first place. The internet is full of mean people, trolls, and generally cold people and I can assure you that I am not one of these people.

However, all things considered I will do my best to no longer respond to your posts as you do not seem to be looking for an actual honest assessment, which is all I have to offer.