Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling like a failure

Last post I made, I was at a 4 week stall. That stall has turned to 6 weeks. I feel like a loser.

I started working out on Feb 1st, hoping to break the stall. Even that has not helped. It's all very frustrating.

I was sleeved december 17th and for the first month lost 22 pounds, now the weight is coming off very slowley, if at all. My clothes feel the same, so I know I have not lost inches.

I feel like my old habits are going to creep up and sabotage me........

Sorry, I guess I'm having a pity party day.

Thanks for letting me vent.

The weight is coming off.....that is the most important words of your story. It does come off slow and then will speed up. Stay on task and take one meal at a time - honestly it will come off. Be careful of how much you eat.

Don't be negative - stay on track and if you screw up once - get back on the wagon and start again.

I am a year and one month out and have not lost anything in three months - but I have not gained either.

Good thoughts always

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I know how it can play tricks on your mind. Don't let your old habits break you down. You went through a lot of trouble to have this procedure done, so try to remember how important you are and that you are worth every effort your give yourself.

I do understand how you feel because I am only 3 weeks out and between my two week pre-surgery liquid diet and the surgery, I am down 28 pounds. I should not complain, but just to let you know how I understand, I had one week where I gained two pounds. This was a week where I was allowed to now have pureed and was afraid to and had hardly anything all week, maybe one meal a day and I GAINED two pounds. I was so so angry. And even since then, I am losing very, very slowly.

I was just on the open chat and people are saying they are losing a pound a day!!! Why isn't that happening to me??? But every person is different. As long as we stay on track and exercise, there is NO reason why the weight will not start to come off. Give yourself a chance. Hang in there!!

Best of luck! Keep in touch.

Kelly

I'm one month before you 11-13-12. I feel your pain sometimes I feel my weight is coming off so slow that if it were any slower it would be going backwards!

But it's not! its slowly month by month going lower! Yes at a snails pace but when I look at my ticker I realize that it is looking good. I would not be at this new weight if I hadn't had this surgery, I'd still be 235...

Don't give up, I know most of use give up on "diets" after a couple of months because of frustration but this time I promise you it will be different if you stick to it :)

I was sleeved december 17th and for the first month lost 22 pounds, now the weight is coming off very slowley, if at all.

First thing to remember is not to compare yourself to anyone else. NO ONE has your body, your genetics, your stress, your mindset, your daily life. So you are comparing apples to turnips, if you compare yourself to others here on VST or anywhere else!

Next, by my calculation, you are 9 weeks post-op and you've lost close to 36 lbs! This is 4 lbs/week. When was the last time (before your surgery) you were able to lose 4 lbs/week over a 9 week period (even with a 6 week stall?). Never, I'll bet!

Your body is trying to work through the major assault it has been subjected to. The VSG is a significant trauma to your stomach, and the anaesthesia and post-op recovery is a huge insult to the rest of your body. Give it time to react, adjust and heal!

Stop weighing yourself and concentrate on making sure you track your fluids, your Protein intake and seeing/feeling how your body is reacting to the subtle changes in your diet. You are slowly moving towards a more "normal" eating pattern. Pay close attention to what your body tolerates, what it doesn't like, how you feel when you eat certain foods, how eating at a certain time of day impacts you, how not drinking enough slows you down, etc.

There is so much to pay attention to right now......don't let the stupid scale take all your attention and motivation away. The weight will drop off, if you stay on track..........it's mathematically impossible for it NOT to. But it won't happen on a schedule, it won't be linear, there WILL be stalls that you just can't seem to break. STAY THE COURSE. You will get there.

VST is full of posts just like yours. You are not the first to go through this, you won't be the last and you are NOT alone, even right now! But we're all here to help, to listen, to give advice and to let you know that you will be successful. You just have to believe it, and LIVE it.......it will happen.

Just remember less saggy skin....of course I probably will feel the same way after I get sleeved that I'm not losing as enough. I'm retraining my thoughts that it's good and will be less saggy skin. :D

Yep, right along with you! I'm in a more-than-I-can-remember week stall. Oh, well..I'm eating healthy and that was one goal I've met. Not to say I wouldn't be thrilled to lose some, though. Don't sweat it, because it won't help things. Stay positive and don't get down.

You are definitely not alone. I stalled October 2012 and it finally broke this month. I was 167 for FOUR months...yes 4 months. I weighed in at 163 this morning. During that time my body changed it's shape. I was in a fitted 12 pants then and now I can fit some 8's depending on how they're made. Like it was said before, don't compare yourself to anyone. We will all have different journeys.

Dude, I hear you and I feel your pain. I've lost 27ish pounds now and I am about a month post op, which is fine but the real kicker there is that about 24 of those pounds were pre-op. It's really hard for me to fathom that in 30ish days of eating 300-800 calories I've only lost three pounds. I came home weighing 5 more pounds than I did when I went into the hospital and it took an entire week or so for that to come off my body, so if we want to be technical I RELOST those 5, bring a total to 8 pounds which is only slightly more respectable, all things considered.

It's doesn't really make me feel much better when people say things like "when was the last time you lost that much weight all at once" etc because for me, I've gained and lost weight like that my whole life. But here is what I am doing - embracing normalcy.

There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD, at 275 pounds, that I am eating enough to maintain this weight. It's probably safe to say that the same goes for you. Sometimes we just have to trust the process. Continue to pay attention to your calories, Proteins, and carbs. Some people say counting calories isn't so important but I think it is, even with weight loss surgery because we can graze, and we can drink calories. My calorie goal is 800, and I try to keep carbs below 50 or 60. and I try to get 70 grams of Protein. That is an acceptable range for me and my doctor, for you it might be some kind of variation. Are you on MyFitnessPal? If you are and want to add me I am username HolyPeas