Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another weight gain/stall post

I am 16 days post op and haven't lost anything in about 5 days, today I gained about .5 pound. I know this isn't a true stall but I was wondering if anyone has hit this wall so soon. So far I've done awesome and I am happy with it but I feel like I am failing already.

I am busting my butt to get fluids and Protein in, but find it almost impossible to hit them daily. I am also cleared for food and can eat about an oz at a meal. Most of the time it's a meat or a cheese stick ( for the protein). But I am really focusing on fluids over real food.

I've also had a bad allergic reaction to the adhesive they used, so I am not sure if that is playing a role.

I plan to keep up with increasing fluids/ protein as well as increase my walking. ( currently a mile 4-5 days a week)

Is this normal? Did I hit the dreaded three week stall early?

Thanks in advance

I am 15 days out and experiencing the same situation. I am trying not to let it get to me. I am not getting the Protein either and I think that is to blame. I just can't do the Protein Shakes. I had no problem with them before my sleeve but now just the thought makes me want to gag.

Sorry to hear this! I am 14 days post-op and am getting in all of my Vitamins, fluids, and Protein plus walking (not at the gym yet--hoping to start that after my post-op appt today). I gained 18 lbs of Fluid in the hospital and took it off within a few days, and within a few more days I lost about 10 lbs. Now for at least 5 days, the scale hasn't moved. I am being patient with my body because I figure it's trying to get to an equilibrium.

If I recall correctly, I think you lost a lot immediately post-op, so maybe your body is catching up, too?

When you were in the hospital (sorry to hear this--glad you are okay), did they give you IV fluids by any chance? That could cause some temporary Fluid gain. Also, anytime your body has an inflammatory response, it can cause some temporary weight gain too.

I am quickly learning that patience is a virtue but it's so much easier said than done! Good luck!! Let's stay in touch since our surgery dates are so similar. Sending you good thoughts!!

I am 15 days out and experiencing the same situation. I am trying not to let it get to me. I am not getting the Protein either and I think that is to blame. I just can't do the Protein shakes. I had no problem with them before my sleeve but now just the thought makes me want to gag.

I was having the same problem... But the protein is so important.. Try Greek yogurts they are 15 gms and I also tried whey protein shots.. They are 42 gms and you can drink them in three shots. I feel great now that I get my protein in.

I was having the same problem... But the Protein is so important.. Try Greek yogurts they are 15 gms and I also tried whey Protein shots.. They are 42 gms and you can drink them in three shots. I feel great now that I get my protein in.

Thanks. I'm gonna give them a try!

Be careful with your food choices too. Too much sodium in just one serving of food and make u retain Water. And fat grams too. do you choose lowfat cheese stick or regular cheese?

Sorry to hear this! I am 14 days post-op and am getting in all of my vitamins' date=' fluids, and Protein plus walking (not at the gym yet--hoping to start that after my post-op appt today). I gained 18 lbs of Fluid in the hospital and took it off within a few days, and within a few more days I lost about 10 lbs. Now for at least 5 days, the scale hasn't moved. I am being patient with my body because I figure it's trying to get to an equilibrium.

If I recall correctly, I think you lost a lot immediately post-op, so maybe your body is catching up, too?

When you were in the hospital (sorry to hear this--glad you are okay), did they give you IV fluids by any chance? That could cause some temporary Fluid gain. Also, anytime your body has an inflammatory response, it can cause some temporary weight gain too.

I am quickly learning that patience is a virtue but it's so much easier said than done! Good luck!! Let's stay in touch since our surgery dates are so similar. Sending you good thoughts!![/quote']

I did lose a lot post op. Right now I am down 15 post op and am thrilled, makes for a total of 35. I couldn't be happier with the results. I guess I have that nagging feeling that I will fail. ( even though that is hardly failure)

When I went to the ER they didn't hook up any fluids. The reaction is still there, typical skin reaction that I've been putting cream on to stop the itch.

I really figured it was my body catching up to the dramatic changes. I am glad to hear its normal so soon.

I'd love to keep in touch. It's always nice to have a friend whose going through the same things.

Be careful with your food choices too. Too much sodium in just one serving of food and make u retain Water. And fat grams too. do you choose lowfat cheese stick or regular cheese?

I use the weight watchers cheese sticks. They had the lowest fat/calories with the most Protein. I originally thought I would try to use beef/turkey Jerky as a way to get in extra Protein but decided against it because of the sodium.

Thanks. I'm gonna give them a try!

I love Greek yogurt. I've been trying to get in as much as I can but the last few days my sleeve decided it was a no go.

I did lose a lot post op. Right now I am down 15 post op and am thrilled' date=' makes for a total of 35. I couldn't be happier with the results. I guess I have that nagging feeling that I will fail. ( even though that is hardly failure)

When I went to the ER they didn't hook up any fluids. The reaction is still there, typical skin reaction that I've been putting cream on to stop the itch.

I really figured it was my body catching up to the dramatic changes. I am glad to hear its normal so soon.

I'd love to keep in touch. It's always nice to have a friend whose going through the same things.[/quote']

I'd love to keep in touch as well!

If you do a search for "Week 3 stall" you will see that most (probably all) of us had a similar stall at a similar time. Your body is adjusting, so just be patient and it will pass. You'll go back to losing regularly. Stalls are a part of the process, and while nobody likes to stop losing, take it in stride that you're probably losing inches, just not pounds.

If you do a search for "Week 3 stall" you will see that most (probably all) of us had a similar stall at a similar time. Your body is adjusting' date=' so just be patient and it will pass. You'll go back to losing regularly. Stalls are a part of the process, and while nobody likes to stop losing, take it in stride that you're probably losing inches, just not pounds.[/quote']

Thank you, that's what I figured. I just wasn't expecting it at 2 weeks... Darn....guess I better start working on the patience part of things. I didn't get here overnight and don't plan to lose it overnight.