Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op--very little restriction

I am 2 weeks post op and started "thin purees" this morning. I measured out 1/3 cup of pureed oatmeal and peaches and it went down very easily. I had to purposefully slow myself down, taking tiny bites and chewing them even though it was already pureed. It took me about 15 minutes to eat it. I probably could have eaten more but I'm sticking to plan (I'm very rules-oriented, which is probably a good thing) and also didn't want to push it.

The oatmeal seemed to fill me up about the same as a Protein shake, though it was VERY nice to have some variety. My stomach seemed happy with it--no gurgling or anything (which I did get with Protein shakes early out--that has stopped now though). I used a little soy milk to make the oatmeal; next time I am going to add some Protein powder.

For a couple of days after surgery, it was difficult for me to get fluids and broth down, which I'm sure is normal. For the first week I did the burp-sip thing but never really felt restriction in my sleeve and was still getting in 60+ grams of Protein (protein shakes) and 64 oz-plus of water/fluids.

The burping stopped a few days ago and I can take regular drinks of Water, like I could pre-op. I don't chug or take massive drinks just because I want to be gentle with my sleeve. But I can drink a 17-ounce bottle of Water in 20 minutes or so if I focus on it while I'm working.

Let me say before I ask my question that I feel terrible for people who have complained that it's a struggle to drink water or other fluids or get down purees. I knew that feeling for a few days and it was awful--my heart goes out to you. Hopefully that will subside as time goes on.

With that said, I have sort of an opposite worry, which is that I hope I end up having enough restriction for this to really work!! Did others who didn't feel a lot of restriction early on or who don't really have it with fluids start getting it once you were eating solid foods? (or maybe even thicker purees, which I move to this weekend). I know I am being a worry wart, but it's difficult not to think ahead with everything that we all go through to adopt this new lifestyle.

Thank you for any advice or feedback that you have! :-)

When you start solids you'll know what restriction is...

Sorry if that sounded rude, after I read it I thought it sounded rude. But you know what I mean... I wondered the same things postop until I started Real Food...I'm almost 6 months out and have alot of restriction with solids, even liquids still....

It would worry me if I could drink 17oz of Fluid in 20 minutes. That sounds like you may be risking stretching your pouch. My guidelines read -- 1oz of fluids every 10 minutes to avoid stretching new pouch. I don't want to worry you more- but that could be why you don't feel much restriction. Maybe you should talk to your surgeon. Or do you have a nutritionist available at your bariatric center?

Sorry if that sounded rude' date=' after I read it I thought it sounded rude. But you know what I mean... I wondered the same things postop until I started Real food...I'm almost 6 months out and have alot of restriction with solids, even liquids still....[/quote']

Yeah, I would probably hold off concern til you make it to solids (says me the hypocrite, cause I just had the same question a couple of days ago). hehe ;-P

I have never really felt any restriction with thin liquids, like Water or tea. I might feel a little discomfort if I take a few big swallows, but what I consider to be normal drinking has never been an issue for me.

Liquids won't be any or much restriction, it depends on the food. If it's a slider food like carb, there won't be restriction, when you get to meat products, there will be a restriction and if you eat too much, then it sits in your esophagus forever and then you get all mucusy.

Enjoy the no restriction on liquids and learn to stop before you get restrictions when you hit solids. Sometimes now I worry about not having restrictions then I take that one more bite that I shouldn't have...there will be restrictions. :) Good luck

Enjoy the no restriction on liquids and learn to stop before you get restrictions when you hit solids. Sometimes now I worry about not having restrictions then I take that one more bite that I shouldn't have...there will be restrictions. :) Good luck

So true! You wouldn't think that ONE little bite could make such a big difference in being comfortable or miserable :P

Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone! I am seeing the dietitian and PA today so I will ask about the liquids. Our guidelines don't limit the rate at which you consume liquids, but I try to use common sense and listen to my body. I can drink Water a lot more quickly than a Protein drink, for example (and right now, I thin my Protein drinks with almond mild bc I think it's easier on my sleeve).

I am a vegetarian so won't be eating meat--but hopefully I'll feel that type of restriction with vegetarian Protein sources that others feel with meat. I think it will make a difference even when I get to regular purees. My thin puree of oatmeal and peaches was about the same consistency as a Protein shake. But it did seem to fill me up a little more, maybe because it's just something different. I probably thinned it a little more than I needed to (we have to go to applesauce consistency) but I just wanted to be cautious the first time out. I pureed it in the Vitamix so it was more like cream of wheat.

Thanks again--hearing everyone else's experiences really helps!! This forum is a great support and source of helpful information. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share.

I am 5 weeks out and in the same situation as you. Very Little Restriction. Tonight for dinner I ate a turkey burger with a slice of cheese and no roll. I was able to eat the whole thing without any pain, discomfort... I'm not too sure what to think....

I am 5 weeks out and in the same situation as you. Very Little Restriction. Tonight for dinner I ate a turkey burger with a slice of cheese and no roll. I was able to eat the whole thing without any pain' date=' discomfort... I'm not too sure what to think....[/quote']

You and I had our surgery about the same time ..I'm sorry to here this it could be you heal well but my advice if you want it pls don't eat that much because can eat like every 2-3 hrs of high Protein your do early out and I hate for you start out w that much food ..if you get hungry it something of very low carbs to get u by

I felt the same in the beginning. Once u move to solid foods u will def feel more restriction.

I am 5 weeks out- i can not imagine eating a turkey burger- did your doctor say that was ok? I am just now going to move up to soft foods from pureed. I could hardly get one whole scrambled egg in me.

I can eat 2 scrambled eggs but no more. My nutritionist told me that was fine. I really do think everyone has different size sleeves. Or maybe its due to swelling after surgery. I don't know. But I do know that some ppl really struggle with tiny portions while others don't :/

I haven't been back to my doctors to discuss all of this with him... Ate that at 5pm, been drinking Water ever since, now it's 9:20 and I'm starving...