Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about complications

I'm so glad you mentioned this because I too am scared but reading through all the above stories (and posts, and website and youtube, etc), I think it comes down to being open with yourself and your community. I've never ever heard so many people talk about how much they weigh - good for us for trusting each other. People share everything (I'm SO there with you - totally scary stuff and prayers to all of those folks who have been down that part of the road). You hear the good and the bad - the good WAY out weighs the bad IMO. There are people killed in cross walks everyday but you don't hear about it and it doesn't stop you from crossing the street. That said, I'm with you and glad you posted this. Good luck!

I am also a lower BMI (38) and I can honestly say I am not scared at all. Anxious yes, but not scared. It's natural to be nervous about the unknown, but it's just that-UNKNOWN. Why waste your time being scared of what "could" happen? You face "unknowns" every day of your life. Now I do believe you have to go into this completely prepared and educated, but I have wasted enough of my life being fat (10 years) and I refuse to waste any more of it! I am confident that I can/will be successful with the sleeve and I feel that getting heavier and unhealthier carries much more risk. Don't keep reading horror stories on the Internet. For every bad outcome you'll hear about 3-5 positive outcomes. Maybe my mindset is different because the first surgery I ever had I had at 20

(Sorry-posted too soon) And it was an elective surgery. I chose to do it and once I healed I knew it was the best decision I ever made. Hopefully I feel the exact same after being sleeved!

I am also a lower BMI (38) and I can honestly say I am not scared at all. Anxious yes' date=' but not scared. It's natural to be nervous about the unknown, but it's just that-UNKNOWN. Why waste your time being scared of what "could" happen? You face "unknowns" every day of your life. Now I do believe you have to go into this completely prepared and educated, but I have wasted enough of my life being fat (10 years) and I refuse to waste any more of it! I am confident that I can/will be successful with the sleeve and I feel that getting heavier and unhealthier carries much more risk. Don't keep reading horror stories on the Internet. For every bad outcome you'll hear about 3-5 positive outcomes. Maybe my mindset is different because the first surgery I ever had I had at 20[/quote']

That should say BMI is 38 not 3! LOL!

Hi, I am in sort of a similar situation, I have a BMI of 39, and weight about 289, I am a male, 49 tomorrow and orob sleeved in June. We alk think of the worst, we have to think positive and trust our surgeon.

I'm from south king county! Around Renton! Where did you have your surgery? How are you doing 8 days out?

I had mine with Northwest Weight Loss Surgery. They are in Everett.

I'm scared too!! I go in for it in less than 5 days!! We got this tho!! Right??!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am a few months from surgery, and I know that the more information I get the more I feel empowered. And in the same breath I am questioning myself every now and then until I think of what awaits me if I don't take this step. I am taking control of my life and this will help me do just that, take control. Stop listening to the bad take the information and YOU make the decision, no one else can only you. So if it takes you a little longer than most to get to the surgery and make that step it is ok, this is all on your time table no one elses. I have a lot more than you to lose, some would say that makes it easier for me, but I don't think so as it is the same change for whoever is doing it. And rest assured YOU will make the right decision for YOU. Best of luck

So I've done all the research (ok granted maybe a little too much) and I'm about 2 months out from my surgery date (April 15) and technically I'm still pending insurance approval but I'm taking all the steps and going through the process full steam ahead. I've definitely gone through a roller coaster of emotions since starting this journey' date=' and I still get mixed emotions everyday. But I guess where im at now is the "fear" stage. I'm constantly thinking about complications, leaks, structure, infection, etc. I'm spending hours researching horror stories of things gone wrong and the aftermath of complications. I realize that with any surgery there are always risks and one must decide of the benefits will outweigh the risks. I guess that's the point I'm at now. I'm a lower bmi. I'm 31 years old, 238lbs and bmi of 37. I have a about 80lbs to lose to be considered at a healthy weight for my height. But I also have high blood pressure (for about 3 years controlled by medicine) and high cholesterol. My weight history has shown a consistent failure at conventional weight loss attempts and I progressively gain 8-10 lbs a year. So my fear is if I DON'T get the surgery I could end up weighting 50lbs more in 5 years. I know that this surgery is the answer (and I know it's not the "easy way out" and it takes work and the surgery is just a tool). I guess I'm just scared. Scared about the surgery itself and complications, leaks. AmI alone in this? Has anyone ever talked themselves out of the surgery before they hit the table? Is anyone else scared?[/quote']

I was feeling like you at first. It toke me 2 years to realize that it was a good decision. I'm 27 a month away from my 28. 240 54 BMI of 40. I got because if I haven lose anything no matter what I do why not give it a try. Don't life in fears because we kmow when we got here but but not when we not. I'm 5 days out I was regretting after it but not because nothing bad happen it was because I was scar of the pain and didn't what to eat. But as you go along the road you would know what to do. Click on my username and see all my post you would see how bad I was regretting this until every one pick me up and gave me confer all over again. You never going to feel alone in this. You have us. Our other family your forow fam :-). Just how every ome said I could actually say know that I regret not doing it sooner. Read my post from feb/16 /17. You going to read different peoples story here that when I ask the same question after been sleeve. Good luck. Count on me!!!

My surgery is tomorrow morning and until today I had all the same fears. I spent hours researching complications making myself aware. I finally came up with this..... do as my doctor instructs me and I will be fine And sometimes complications just happen due to nothing you or your surgeon did. If a complication does happen it sounds like its a rough recovery but in the end you will meet your goal. TO BE HEALTHY

I had mine with Northwest Weight Loss Surgery. They are in Everett.

Hey lady! That's where I am having mine. That's where I had my band done, I've been a patient there for approx 4 years! Who's your doc?

Hey lady! That's where I am having mine. That's where I had my band done, I've been a patient there for approx 4 years! Who's your doc?

Wow! I would have thought you went with Puget Sound Bariatric since they are out on that side. My doctor is Dr. Montgomery.

Well, I did a ton of research before I had lap band, so I found and wanted them, and that was when I was 19, wasnt banded till I was 23ish. So, Its worth the drive for me.

I heard Montgomery is good! I have Dr. Chock. I wanted a woman doctor.

Well, I did a ton of research before I had lap band, so I found and wanted them, and that was when I was 19, wasnt banded till I was 23ish. So, Its worth the drive for me.

I heard Montgomery is good! I have Dr. Chock. I wanted a woman doctor.

I actually wanted her, but I'm not disappointed at all with Montgomery.

I feel almost guilty Saying this but I feel better that so many other people feel the same way that I do and that I'm not alone but it makes me feel guilty because I don't want other people to be scared like I am. Bit it helps to know that no matter what happens, we are all in this together and like Yiraini01 said above, we are a family and we all have each other to lean on through it every step of the way. I am overwhelmingly grateful for that.