Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Premier Protein Shakes at Amazon.com $7/Case!

Hello Everyone!

I am new to these forums and just have a couple of question. My surgery is scheduled for March 11th and I started my Pre-Op diet. I am drink 3 of the premier 30g Protein Shakes a day but i add 3 ice cubes and fresh strawberries. Is this a bad thing? I have a hard time drinking them with out the fruit. Also, is 3 shakes enough? Should i be eating a low fat (small) meal too or is it just strickly shakes? I am also very concerned about loose skin or Hair loss so i want to make sure i am getting the right amount of nutrients and Vitamins possible. Since Premier is milk based - should i switch to something that is 100 percent whey? ? (dont taste as great) How about vitamins - how do you know how much of what should you be taking? I also found collagen pills -they are suppose to help with restoring and revitalizing your skin. Has anyone tried these or have any opinions on them?? I am not sure if any of this makes sense to you guys but any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a misunderstanding of the PDCAAS scoring model. The PDCAAS doesn't go from 1-100' date=' it from 0.00-1.00. Looking at the ingredients of a premier shake, it is all milk based Proteins which score 1.0- the best score available.

I typically say that premier is a "good alternative" if you cannot tolerate pure whey Protein isolate or I'd you need the convenience.

The downside to Premier shakes is that they are mostly milk based rather than whey. Meaning they do contain much of the impurities found in milk and are not a good option for the lactose intolerant. Keep in mind that immediately after surgery we are much more likely to develop a lactose intolerance. Therefore I recommend them as a convenience but not as a regular "go to" Protein source.[/quote']

Thank you I thought that was the case, you explain it well I will paste your answer there!

OTR what Protein do you use??

I use several different Proteins. But the ones I use the most are:

Syntrax Nectar® (fuzzy navel, medical unflavored)

unjury (chicken Soup, chocolate splendor)

Premier (These are for convenience)

Jay Robb (egg protein)

Nutiva® hemp (15g)

I also try to eat Protein rich foods like Greek yogurt, peas, string cheese, etc

My Nut says no to peas ever? But your eating them? Why would she say that? I do like peas:)

I use several different Proteins. But the ones I use the most are:

Syntrax Nectar® (fuzzy navel, medical unflavored)

unjury (chicken Soup, chocolate splendor)

Premier (These are for convenience)

Jay Robb (egg protein)

Nutiva® hemp (15g)

I also try to eat Protein rich foods like Greek yogurt, peas, string cheese, etc

Forgot to put quote for OTR,

My Nut says no peas, but your eating them. Why are they not good?

DANG!! Guess I missed out on this deal! :(

My Nut says no to peas ever? But your eating them? Why would she say that? I do like peas:)

Only reason I can possibly come up both is that they have a relatively high glycemic index.

I'm not really a carb counter. I have all but eliminated white carbs from my diet, but am a believer that healthy carbs (the type in fruits & veggies) should never be avoided, only moderated.

Odd that Amazon hasn't charged my card yet. Anyone else notice this? I ordered on the 19th.

Mine has not been charged as of yet.

I believe they charge once the item is shipped.

I know mine isn't shipping til into March a bit.

Hello Everyone!

I am new to these forums and just have a couple of question. My surgery is scheduled for March 11th and I started my Pre-Op diet. I am drink 3 of the premier 30g Protein shakes a day but i add 3 ice cubes and fresh strawberries. Is this a bad thing? I have a hard time drinking them with out the fruit. Also, is 3 shakes enough? Should i be eating a low fat (small) meal too or is it just strickly shakes? I am also very concerned about loose skin or hair loss so i want to make sure i am getting the right amount of nutrients and Vitamins possible. Since Premier is milk based - should i switch to something that is 100 percent whey?? (dont taste as great) How about Vitamins - how do you know how much of what should you be taking? I also found collagen pills -they are suppose to help with restoring and revitalizing your skin. Has anyone tried these or have any opinions on them?? I am not sure if any of this makes sense to you guys but any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

All of these questions are better answered by your Dr. and you nutritionist. Every plan is different. It is hard to say what is "best". If you are on your pre-op diet, I would think that the Dr. didn't want you eating a meal but rather sticking with Protein only. Adding strawberries adds fructose to your diet and that might be something to consider (additional calories). Premiers work for me, but others use a lot of other flavors and brands, generally the makeup of the shakes won't make a ton of difference unless you have some types of intolerance or are hard core vegan. Your Dr should also be telling you what vitamins you should be taking and when. Most common are B12, Multi and D. Some folks also need xtra Iron. But again, with board such as this one you are going to get a myriad of answers. My suggestion is get with your nutrtionists and or your surgeon and get something written down, both for your pre-op and your post-op. Make sure you ask lots of questions That way you will be ensured that you are on the right track.

All of these questions are better answered by your Dr. and you nutritionist. Every plan is different. It is hard to say what is "best". If you are on your pre-op diet, I would think that the Dr. didn't want you eating a meal but rather sticking with Protein only. Adding strawberries adds fructose to your diet and that might be something to consider (additional calories). Premiers work for me, but others use a lot of other flavors and brands, generally the makeup of the shakes won't make a ton of difference unless you have some types of intolerance or are hard core vegan. Your Dr should also be telling you what Vitamins you should be taking and when. Most common are B12, Multi and D. Some folks also need xtra Iron. But again, with board such as this one you are going to get a myriad of answers. My suggestion is get with your nutrtionists and or your surgeon and get something written down, both for your pre-op and your post-op. Make sure you ask lots of questions That way you will be ensured that you are on the right track.

All of these questions are better answered by your Dr. and you nutritionist. Every plan is different. It is hard to say what is "best". If you are on your pre-op diet, I would think that the Dr. didn't want you eating a meal but rather sticking with Protein only. Adding strawberries adds fructose to your diet and that might be something to consider (additional calories). Premiers work for me, but others use a lot of other flavors and brands, generally the makeup of the shakes won't make a ton of difference unless you have some types of intolerance or are hard core vegan. Your Dr should also be telling you what Vitamins you should be taking and when. Most common are B12, Multi and D. Some folks also need xtra Iron. But again, with board such as this one you are going to get a myriad of answers. My suggestion is get with your nutrtionists and or your surgeon and get something written down, both for your pre-op and your post-op. Make sure you ask lots of questions That way you will be ensured that you are on the right track.

Thanks so much for your insight!