Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Hair Loss! HELP!

I posted this on other threads:

info from my dermatologist yesterday:

My dermatologist explained that the type of hair loss we are experiencing is called telogen effluvium and is more due to recent shock to your system, ie., weight loss, pain, recent surgery, over or under active thyroid, childbirth, medications and other underlying conditions not just lack of Protein. The dermatologist mentioned that one could lose over 50% of your hair, but that it will grow back in 5-8 months. She suggested using minoxidil, which will stimulate the growth of new hair faster. The less expensive brands are: (both 2%)

* Equate which can be purchased at Walmart

http://www.walmart.c...e&cat_id=976760

* Kirkland Minoxidil which can be purchased at costco.

Important instructions on use:

It is important that if you do use the minoxidil, it is to be placed on your scalp, do not rub it into your hair, it will just make your hair more brittle and susceptible to breakage. Do not let it drip onto your forehead as it will cause headaches. The best application is laying back preferably into a Shampoo sink.

http://www.webmd.com...loss/effluviums

http://www.aocd.org/..._effluvium.html

The one thing I try to keep in mind, even as I lose my hair (and boy am I losing it now!) is that I would have gladly given up all my hair to lose as much weight as I have. I may not like it now, but it will come back. The weight can stay gone forever, though :D

TheGamer it's just a little unsettling to see all that hair in my hand and not on my head! I'm glad I'm losing weight and becoming healthier, but sheesh is it scary!

I'm losing my hair too. Not worried about it. I understand that my body is changing and this is normal. Try to get 50 to 70 grams of Protein a day. It's hard for me to eat that much protein.

Oh boy Hair loss? Sleeved July11th 2012. Can't begin to tell you how many times I have had to call the plumber. I did everything to prevent it. Hang in there!!

Thanks Geminidrive! Have you seen that the hair treatment works?

I don't know yet, it's a bit too soon. My plan is to keep my hair trimmed and have the weekly treatments, I will also mix in the awaphui Protein treatments. I'll keep you posted.

OMGosh!! Yes, Drain-o is my new best friend! My hair is everywhere!! On the couch, in the restroom, in my car! I'm shedding galore! I hope it stops soon.

I work in a salon and they all are telling me no wig yet. I've lost more than half of my hair. I'm almost 10 months out and I'm finally seeing growth. I use nioxin Shampoo level 2. It's a huge huge help. They say no wig bc then your hair can't breath and more friction against your head is not good. Hang in!!!

I'm ten months too and finally seeing lil sprouts of new hair growing in :) yay!!!!

I work in a salon and they all are telling me no wig yet. I've lost more than half of my hair. I'm almost 10 months out and I'm finally seeing growth. I use nioxin Shampoo level 2. It's a huge huge help. They say no wig bc then your hair can't breath and more friction against your head is not good. Hang in!!!

I use the Bosley hair line works great

I was sleeved in October. About a few weeks ago I started losing a ridiculous amount of hair. I mean clumps of hair coming out at a time. I am taking all my Vitamins. Multivitamin, Biotin, Omega 3, Iron, B12, and Zinc. My labs came back great. What can I do to stop the Hair loss, besides buy myself a wig? :(

If you want to try some rogaine it may make some difference but it wont be overnight. This is an unfortunate side effect. If you can eat a little more you may consider trying that. I noticed my husbands hair seemed to become thicker a few months after he started drinking the Protein shakes I brought home for me.

this is pretty typical of any major surgery, and more than anything the passage of time will correct this.